Can someone explain aggro to me?

So many delusional posters. Aggro takes 0 skill. I’m running a druid right now. No skill. Just hope I can flood the board and then pump everything up for lethal if/when they don’t clear. There’s 0 skill involved in any aggro stop kidding yourselves

You mean Token Druid?

This is one reason why the “no skill” argument rarely stands up to any scrutiny: people don’t even classify “aggro” correctly. Nor do they play a deck well enough to understand how many difficult decisions go into optimal piloting.

Token Druid is not aggro. It very often will play 2 cards by turn four. That does not describe an aggro deck. It is a board-flooding deck, yes, but those are not necessarily the same thing. It plays much more like a combo deck than an aggro deck when you consider the play style and decision trees. (And I don’t mean a OTK/combo-control deck, I mean a combo deck, e.g., Miracle Rogue.)

Further, the deck is hard to play optimally. There is a ton of resource management in every aspect of the game: cards, board presence, life total. Try playing it to legend with a positive win rate against Control Warrior, then tell me it takes no skill to play.

3 Likes

You clearly don’t play it.

It plays every turn, turn 1 mecharoo or acorn, turn 2 a number of cards, turn 3 a number of cards depending on the results, turn 4+ every card in the deck. Doesn’t play until turn 4? You’re delusional as well. It’s an aggro deck. Spam board, go face, then use a 3 mana bloodlust for lethal, hardly a “combo”.

The only combos involved are “Repeat any spell at the end of turn” which are secondary. The core of the deck is to spam board, cast “deathrattle summon 2/2 treant” so even if it gets wiped it survives, then Savage roar + 2 attack to all characters and go face.

It wins turn 5-6 if the draw isn’t ruined by RNG. Even if it is it has a chance. It’s an auto win against any slow starting deck. It’s aggro.

“Optimal Piloting” consists of spamming the board and praying they survive, and if not, spamming more until you can stick a deathrattle 2/2 on each minion, then a +2 att on every character. There’s no skill. I play it because I’m tired of losing to it. I play enough to see how it works. Its not difficult. You’re not holding cards debating to play or not unless you already lost via bad draw

I bet you lose a lot with Token Druid if thats how youre playing it.

3 Likes

68% win rate not counting my last couple wins on mobile phone. Was 75%. I destroy everything if I draw right. It’s not even fair, it is completely up to me and my draw not them.

It out aggros aggro, Murlocs don’t stand a chance. The only thing that beats me is other token druids that go first, WAR if I draw poor, or deathrattle hunter if I have a slow start. Still well over 50% against everything

I played it to legend, with a positive win rate against Control Warrior. (Those games are long, tough, and often enough determined by who screws up a couple extra times.) It is not an aggro deck.

Most versions run two 1-drops (just Acornbearer), and four 2-drops (Rat, Dreamway Guardians). And two 3-drops (Landscaping). It is a common enough occurrence to play a single card until turn 4, and then play Whispering Woods. Aggro decks just don’t play that way. Nor do they enter into long attrition wars with Control Warrior.

1 Like

7 minions with savage roar = +16 dmg on top of their 1/1+ bodies which is typically 21+ dmg. And by the time its played they rarely have more than 21 life. Not to mention +1/1 all minions in several forms, additional savage roar if you draw 2 early.

My deck has 1 card above 4 cost which is 6/4 summon 4 1/1 deathrattle, everything else is 4 or less cost. That’s aggro, period. Murloc aggro gets out aggro’d by it. Zoo’s get out aggro’d by it. Name 1 aggro that doesn’t.

amused by this win rate. I played token for the first season in YoTD and i win quite a bit. But turn 5 -6? The only class i can do that is mage because they dont do anything for 4 turns. Meanwhile, acorn bearer dont always drop and many decks dun even run other 1 drop. Recent decks realise the curve is bad and hence added a few more one drop. Yet the only real play they have on 1 is acorn bearer and perhaps mecha roo. Turn 2 is dreamway guardian or Evil Cable rat (which is horrid tempo), turn 3 best is summon 2 2/2 treant. Its super inconsistent in the draw because of a limited curve play. Sometimes my hand is just savage roar, savage roar, forest aid, 3 mana twin spell and cant do anything. This is NOT an aggro deck play style. An aggro deck will never be that inconsistent in curve. Try murloc shaman and Zoolock and see how often you pass turn 1 compare to Token druid. Its a combo because they try to set up a situation where they can burst down alot damage later. And may i ask 68% is on which rank?

post your deck list? perhaps yours is a very different token. I never met a token that out aggro zoo before. Esp carpet zoo

1 Like

Turn 3 summon 2 1/1 mechs, (microtech controller), the entire point of the deck is spam board, stick deathrattle incase it gets wiped, then use savage roar on turn 5 or 6 combined with all minions get +1/1 from 2 different cards.

It is very consistent, it almost never draws poor due to every card in the deck costing 4 or less, and almost always draws its “combos” which play off the board of tokens. Even when it doesn’t it is possible to spam the board and play deathrattle summon 2/2 on turn 7-8+

I achieved rank 5 with ease from rank 20. it’s 15-7 not counting at least 3 wins on mobile so 18-7 is more accurate.

2x acornbeared
2x Mecharoo
1x Crystalsong Portal
1x Dendrologist
1x Dreamway Guardians
1x EVIL cable rat
2x Hench-clan Hogsteed
1x Knife Juggler (About to be replaced with another dreamway guardian)
2x Power of the Wild
2x Blessings of the Ancients
1x Landscaping
2x Microtech Controller
2x Savage Roar
1x Archmage Vargoth
1x Explodinator
1x Replicating Menace
2x Soul of the Forest
1x Spellbreaker
2x Swipe
1x Whispering Woods
1x Eccentric Scirbe

So you played other things obviously as +11 isn’t enough bonus stars from r20. Listen, even as a primarily Control player ehhh… the idea that aggro is ‘dumber’ than Control to me is a fallacy. Most decks from either side are pretty minimal decision trees to be made in HS mainly because you don’t have a ton of avenues to attack.

Sure, aggro has less decisions per game but, in honesty, most of the decisions for Control decks are the equivalent of “do I want 7 day old bread or a burrito?” Not really decisions because the correct answer is fairly obvious.

Also yes… Token Druid beats Murloc Shaman in Standard no doubt. That isn’t because it is such a brain-dead aggro deck but has to do with the fact that Shaman has no real efficient way to remove tokens unless Thunderhead + fuel is found early. In Wild it is a bit different due to the tools available to Murloc Shaman being a lot better while the tools available to Token Druid only being Mildly better outside of some of the uber-scary openings it can do.

I digress…
As a Control player primarily I think you’re overselling how tough the decisions for Control are in HS.

2 Likes

This deck surely curve out better but still it don’t look strong. Maybe I can try it. You have quite a bit of minions making crystal song portal hard to activate. You deck have no draw or significant card generation apart from dendrogist and crystalsong for you to reliably play whispering Woods. Past turn 6 to 7. If your board is getting controlled. I can’t see much recovery from there. Or if savage roar is not drawn by then.

Facts;
Aggro spams board which forces opponent to play clean up, which means that they play from behind.
If they don’t draw the perfect removal or any early game cards they’re done.
Any slow starting decks are done.
Right there gives it a 50%+ win rate then even if it isn’t favored it still has a positive win rate against slow starts and unfavored match ups.

IF it draws correct the game is over turn 5-6 regardless of opponent. It spams tokens, plays “Deathrattle summon 2/2” and then savage roar when lethal is acheivable.

Oh and 15-7 is just what is recorded on my laptop. My other games on Mobile don’t get recorded. But they’re more than positive win rates trust me.

Facts:

• Baku Warrior last year had a decision tree which was about as complicated as Face Hunter

• I have a Control Shaman list right now which, until I moved to Wild this month, had ~70% WR against Token Druid as the deck was built for Token Druid and Control Warrior. Mage and Hunter are tough for it and Rogue is about 50/50. So while you state “My Token Druid will win” at least Shaman has neough redundancy in removal options to cause Token Druid issues as a Control deck.

Also, using Token Druid is a bit of a misnomer in general. Token decks have always, in HS, been more about a board Control battle than it has about a Spell-based removal system. For instance a Rush Warrior should do better against Token Druid than Control Warrior. It is why Zoolock is the worst deck for Token Druid because Zoolock can win the board battle (same reason why Murloc Shaman sucks against you).

Edit:
Control is tougher right now but last year Control was a joke because of how good of tools it had. Priest, Warrior, and Warlock coudl all kick back and relax some against Aggro. It was one of the reasons why Combo got such a foothold because Combo-Control had too many COntrol tools.

Again, aggro wins 50%+ based purely on having low cost minions to start. Then it wins roughly 50% of the remaining 50% based on good draws and mismatches. So its roughly a 75% win rate depending on the draws. As is most good aggro. It beats any slow starts. And still has a decent chance against everything else.