BIG ADVICE for new players who need dust

So if you’re a new player and you haven’t already heard: There is this concept of “Hall of Fame”. What basically happens is that Blizzard decides which cards get to retire early to Wild.

If you can affort the pricing, you’ll need to craft the cards rotating to Hall of Fame - especially the legendaries.

If you can (very expensive): Craft all cards that rotate in golden that you don’t yet have (especially Genn Greymane and Baku the Mooneater which is also very expensive and costs 3200 dust each). You’ll get your entire dust back once they rotate on the 9th of april. After that you can either keep the golden copies for wild later on or - which is more adviced as new player - dust them all for their “normal value” ( a golden dusted legendary nets you 1600 dust f.e. which means that for Genn and Baku you make 2 free legendries of your choosing after they rotate).
If - for some crazy reason - you can mobilize another 3200 dust_, you should conisder crafting the druid epic card “Gloomstag” 2 times in golden which can then be dusted for another 800 dust.

Cheaper but still worth it: Craft them all in non-golden. This means that you’ll only get 1/4th of their pricing on top but this still means that Genn and Baku alone will earn you 400 dust each (which means 2 epics for your choosing).

If you have at least 3200 dust somehow, it’s worth crafting one golden Baku or Genn instead of both in non-golden if you’re doing this for your gain instead of increasing your collection since one golden exchanges for 1600 and both non-golden are “just” 800 dust in total.
If you have 3200 more, you can also do the same with the Priest epic “Glitter Moth” 2 times (same concept as Gloomstag).

Here are the cards that rotate that you’ll get your dust back on:

3 Likes

Small addition:

1. If you already have an amount of copies of a card equal to or over the maximum per deck (1 for legendaries, 2 for others) then crafting extra cards is NOT a good idea. In most cases it’ll cost you dust instead of earning dust.

2. If you currently have the cards as non-golden, then crafting them as golden now and disenchanting them later will not earn you more dust than doing nothing at all, except for the cards of normal rarity.

That’s a good addition :slight_smile:

I’m an OLD player and I haven’t even thought of this! lol

1 Like

This seems a good apportunity to all …

I would like to do this but I don’t have the golden version of either of these :cry:

You need to craft them (either in normal for less dust or golden for max profit).

Your only option is to dust everything you don’t need and see if it adds up.

Thanks Schwifty, pls excuse my noobiness but I don’t understand. When I said “I don’t have the golden…” I meant it doesn’t appear in my card book, not even under ‘crafting’, the normal version is there but there’s no golden so I don’t seem to have the opportunity to craft it.

No need to apologize, the game can be very overwhelming.

Golden cards have an extra box you must tick under the “crafting cards option”. For windows/mac there is a box on the right side after you pressed “crafting” that says “only show golden cards” or something like that. I don’t know how mobile phones have those options arranged tho.
If you got the dust, it’s 100% worth keep on looking, you can craft them golden :wink: (I just crafted Baku golden like 1 week ago).

Ahh there it is! It does appear when I check that box, unfortunately I don’t have 3200 dust, but I do have 2950 so plenty of time to earn the rest before April.
Thanks Schwifty
Edit:…Later, Got it! :grinning:

1 Like

Good for you :slight_smile:
Enjoy that free legendary after rotation! Remember that they just refund your dust, you’ll have to disenchant the card yourself.

This is the first expac ive really played so im curious about the legendaries i have that aren’t going to hall of fame but are rotating out. Will i get any dust for those or no? I’m losing Zola and warrior quest for instance.

Sorry, but no. No dust for those cards.

The in-game rationale for the dusting rules are this:

• Cards in the Classic set were supposed to remain in Standard always. By moving them to Hall of Fame, they took something from you that you could not have expected to lose. Hence they compensate.
  • For Genn, Baku, and their odd/even lackeys that move to HoF, a similar argument can be made because you could have expected one more year of standard play out of these.
  • For cards in expansions, you know when they rotate. So you are not “sold short”. And you are also not losing value, since you can still play them in Wild mode. (Playing Standard only is a choice). If you do choose to play Standard only, then you already knew the limited period of usability of the cards when you crafted them or bought the pack.

The commercial argument is simpler. If you coul get full dust refund for all rotating cards, then older accounts would get enough dust to fully craft the new expansions. This would affect their card pack sales too much, Blizzard would start losing money on the game, and they’d have to drop support for it.

I have been playing hearthstone for almost two years now and I never knew this. I have collected 6000 dust. I have been saving up for new expansion. I don’t have Baku or genn. So I can craft them both golden and get the dust back in April,right?
And thank you so much for this. You don’t know how much it helps :slight_smile: finally maybe I can play an odd /even deck for a few days now.
I know I sound like an idiot asking again when all the answers are written above but I really worked so hard to collect that dust. So please confirm.

1 Like

If you DO NOT have Baku in either form right now (not golden, not plain), then you can get a good deal by crafting her. Best as golden. Here’s the math.

1. Craft Baku now. Cost: 3200 dust.
  2. Wait until rotation. Hall of Fame migration will add 3200 dust to your account because you have Baku.
  3. You now have all your dust back, and you own Baku. You can keep her and play Baku decks in wild. Or you can disenchant her for an additional 1600 dust.

The same applies to Genn. For the other HoF cards, the math can become a bit harder depending on how many copies you already own.

If you don’t have the dust to craft all cards you want in gold (eg Genn + Baku is 6400 dust; you write you have 6000), then you can choose to craft them as non-gold. For Baku, that reduces the initial investment to 1600 dust, which you’ll get back at rotation, and you end up with a plain legendary that you can keep for Wild or disenchant for 400 dust.

1 Like

I can disenchant my old wild cards that are garbage and I never use. I have some old legendaries. I calculate I can have enough dust by the end of it. I think I’ll craft both genn and Baku golden and a gloom stag golden as well.
Thank you so much man.:sunglasses::pray:
I just got Marin the fox for logging in and three free packs and one of them had orzuk. Today is a good day :heart_eyes:

I can totally get your anxiousness crafting these cards but yes, this will work as it did work 2 years in a row (since they introduced “Hall of Fame”).
They basically tell you to not dust these cards they rotate out and try Wild Mode instead. This is a win-win for everyone:
a) If you have these cards already, you get dust for doing nothing
b) If you don’t have them and play wild, this is your chance to get them for free (and even the golden version)
c) If you don’t have them and don’t play wild, you get the refund AND you make all that you get by dusting them as profit

You get the max number you can have in a deck refunded (2 for common, rares, epics and 1 per legendary). If you have a normal and a golden version, they refund the golden version.