[BG] Millhouse needs a change

I think Millhouse needs a change. Giving two negatives to his hero power makes low rolling too hard on him. It also kills the most powerful strategies the mode has: roll for minions you need to win, roll for triples as a hailmary AND level up as fast as possible so you don’t fall behind on powerful minion buying. It would be like making yogg’s hero power make leveling cost 1 more every time you used it.

He needs a change so rolling cost 1. A better negative is getting less minions on the board in tavern or selling tokens doesn’t give gold or he can’t play minions the turn they are bought (starts at 3 mana like everyone else).

Idk what you do, but for a new hero I rarely see people playing him (never happened before not even with sir finnley) and every time he is played he’s usually 6-8th.

Edit: another idea is to make him afk turn one. It has the same effect of starting a coin behind and not getting two minions on turn 1 but keeps him in line with others goldwise and levelwise if he levels on 2.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re trying to be greedy with a hero power that’s not meant for greed.

I would say ditch the two gold start. Yeah, it creates a swing turn on turn 2 and maybe turn 1, but rolling for two is enough of a drawback late game to make it fair.

Everyone has to play greedy late game or you end up with a hand full of uncombinable cards while your opponents are actually USING thier cards.

So then you go die.

Lol. When I saw this topic - I read it as “Millhouse needs a CHAAARGE”.
And I thought that it would be interesting idea:).

He definitely needs change. Seen lot of videos when many different classes instantly destroyed him with free spells. Now he is playing only for memes, no?

UPD: Sorry, different Millhouse. Classic one definitely needs change.
Cmon, SEPARATE forums with “core game” and “this new mode” already!

1 Like

The problem with Millhouse is that you need to buy 1 minion per refresh or you lose more coins more from the power than you gain. On average this just isn’t going to happen unless you’re in a romantic relationship with Bob.

But even worse: even if you meet this 1:1 ratio you’re still disadvantaged by starting with 1 Coin less AND having no Hero Power. In order for the Hero Power to actually be worth it you need to buy 2 minions per refresh. And if you do that, your field’s going to be an inconsistent mess.

I would like to see Millhouse’s Hero Power be revamped entirely: this concept just doesn’t work. It would be fun if they referenced back to the tutorial: a Hero Power that goes into effect once you have 10 coins. Maybe something like “passive: once you reach 10 coins, minions cost 2 for the rest of the game” (just an example, haven’t run the numbers to see if it would be overpowered) or “10 coins: deal 5 damage to all enemies” (reference to MEGA BLAST) (once again just an example I haven’t looked at to see if it would be overpowered).

1 gold, make a random “enemy” minion free this turn. Probably too much like yogg, Thom

1 gold, duplicate a random enemy minion

5 gold copy one of your minions.

Personally I’d like to see hero powers that upgrade as you use them (or as you increase your tier).

Not me. Every game I’ve played or seen played by others. He is a consistent bottom hero with a chance to highroll

Probably the worst hero in the game right now. Paying 2 mana to roll is by itself too much of a downside
Unless you started on tier 2 with 2 gold I just can’t see it ever being good. You just fall behind so badly after your turn 6 buy 3 power spike. And that is entirely dependent on what you hit be you cannot roll

Agreed. It was pointed out that he has:

200% cost to roll (100% normal) lose 100%
66% starting mana (100% normal) lose 33%

In exchange for:

66% buy cost (100% normal) gain 33%
50% sell value (33% normal) gain 17%

This doesn’t even factor in that you roll more than you buy once you have a full board. It also doesn’t factor in that other heroes have the better value in addition to a hero power.

Would it be to op if he starts at tavern 2?
Somehow i feel the original design was 2 gold buy, 2 gold reroll,start with 2 gold and start on tavern 2. Maybe that would be to op i dont know.
As he is now he is useless and i agree he needs a chance.

1 Like

Sounds like you are playing the wrong way. You don’t decide first hand which combination you want to use, you pick a random card and then find a way to use it best.

Greedy rolling is hilarious, I saw my friends roll his entire 10 gold looking for one cobolt when he saw two Beasts right there. Pick the effing Beast man.

Now that i think about it,starting at tier 2 would be very imbalanced. I think it could be balanced in the long game but it will heavily mess up the people you meet on t3 and t4 who will fight you with a 2xtier2 deficit.

I wish i could experiment with this hero but i am at the point with my ratings (8500 and 8800) where everyone is triharding including myself lol and i dont want spoil the rating so maybe some theory craft.

Right now the line is buy on 1,sell on 2 +level (preferably a token) and then double buy on 3. This line seems logical but it also looks inefficient. Having to sell a minion on 2 and then floating 1 gold at turn at t4. You dont gain any advantage this way as you will have 4x tier 2 on t4 at best which is equall to the other heros. You will also take damage on t2 and possibly t3. This line just doesnt feel promising to me.

What other lines are possible. Buy on 1,buy on 2 and double buy on 3. followed by level on 4+buy. This line looks somewhat reasonable if you could go demons. To “force” demons however you will need 1 weaver and 1 demon at the very minimum in your first tavern to even have a chance and that isnt all that likely.
(also a general tip for people who want to force demons:you can try force demons if you have weaver+demon as the minimum in your very first tavern but that is a bit risky. If you get double weaver+demon in first tavern then i think it is good to try force demon).

Then you could also try stay tier 1 and simply buy all the pairs,wait till you hit them and then lvl to 2 to discover a 3. This maybe also is somewhat reasonable but a big advantage in the opening you wont get i think. And a big advantage you need to make up for your weakness in the lategame.

To be fair, you can’t really compare it like this. Numbers are easily inflated that way. Let’s say something costs 1 gold, and it gets upped to 2: 100% increase. But then later it gets reduced back to 1 gold: 50% decrease. Sounds worse, but it’s the same thing.

Likewise, let’s say something costs 1 gold and something else costs 10 gold. Now the former costs 5 gold (500% increase!!!) and the other costs 6 gold (a measly 40% decrease). But you always buy 1 of each anyway, so the 500% increase vs 40% decrease doesn’t matter since the end-result’s the exact same.

Don’t get me wrong: Millhouse is most definitely the worst hero (I’d even take a Hero without any Hero Power AT ALL over it!). But using raw percentages like that can easily over-inflate the numbers compared to reality.

After thinking a bit more about it i think the most logical line is staying at tier 1 and trying to force demons while buying all the pairs. Then level to 2 when you hit a pair and try get watcher.
Demons have the most flexibility in their builds as any demon will do so you wont be harmed by the 2 gold reroll all that much.
They are generally strong and you can win lobbys with tier 3 demons without ever level up to higher tiers.
Level up has the advantage of a bigger tavern but that doesnt automatically mean that you have a higher chance to get a usefull minions.

Make a second account and enjoy!

I play with Millhouse every chance I get to get a better grasp at how to play him (In the 6800 - 7200ish rating range). Got 3rd and 1st place with him recently, both times doing a demon/mech build. He lends himself more towards a menagerie build since minion buffers are far more gold efficient (spend 1 gold to give a minion +1/1 or +2/2 as opposed to 2), but of course you need to have the targets for the buffs to land on. Going for a single tribe will see you go out early since that forces you to reroll way more than going with multiple ones.

Actually, I’ve seen millhouse win a few BG’s. I agree that his number make him seem really bad. But, like every hero, there is just a certain way to play him. He sure is nice when has 6 mana and can buy 3 minions. The main way to play him seems to be to focus on triples and upgrading when nothing good. You can fill your board pretty easy, so then it’s a matter of upgrading whenever nothing good. If you make it up to tier 5 or so, then he starts to really shine as you are able to buy up the good minions for 2 gold. Focus on triples. If you refresh 3x same minions you can buy them all for only 6 gold.

I’m not playing the wrong way. In the 6700 where my account is and the 8000 where my friend plays we’ve seen this hero get top 4 once on a high roll. We have played him 6 times in around 40 games so far and got bottom 4 for each. We tried all the strategies to try with him from selling minion to level on curve to filling board fast. Without a highroll you will die on 3 and 4 level boards. We even tried a Demon build with early wraith and didn’t get enough demon tavern starts.

It’s more fun though. I get tired of picking whatever is “best” really quickly.Usually I queue to try out one specific combo