[Battlegrounds] This patch was incredibly Tone-Deaf

I was incredibly happy to see that Battlegrounds was being updated because the meta has been in a horrible place recently but uh, looks like Blizzard just wants to pour gasoline on this dumpster fire.

I don’t understand where the devs got the inkling that Beasts were the ones that needed to be nerfed this time around, but Divine + Poison Murlocs are perfectly fine when they win almost every match and generally make the game unfun. Games where Murlocs are banned are the best because you can actually be creative with your comps and otherwise whenever you’re ahead the game just becomes “Okay, how can I transition to Divine + Poison Murlocs?” Then they add two new heroes that have clear advantages going for Murlocs, and Mukla who is a much, much worse Edwin Vancleef. Like they didn’t even think about how bad this hero is.

Goldrinn was never a problem card, and it feels way too weak to be a 6 drop. After the Parrot nerf, Beasts felt completely fine, not overpowered. I don’t understand what the devs were thinking bumping Goldrinn up a tier. Now if you’re strong enough to rush 6 for the cards you need to actually play Beasts you’d be better off just playing a different comp because they require such a huge investment and don’t scale as well as other endgame builds.

On the other end of the spectrum Mechs and Demons have been underpowered for ages and the devs have just been letting them gather dust and cobwebs. I swear it feels like they want Murlocs to be the only viable comp in the game. As it is Dragons are the only comp that can consistently beat them and the stars have to align to actually get Dragons to the point where they can compete.

Meanwhile other problems that have been discussed for ages have gone untouched. Eudora was just as broken as Hooktusk but got no changes. Triples are so strong that there isn’t really a good way to balance a hero that can force them. Early game feels awful because you don’t have enough options to actually make decisions and by the time you actually can you’re likely to be dead because damage is so high. It feels awful to waste ~20 minutes on a game where you get knocked out before you even get to play. Token damage is still ridiculous, and actually got worse because now the Boat can spawn Amalgadon too. Minions summoned during combat should either not factor into damage calculation or count as 1-Star. Cannon was also untouched despite everyone hating it and wanting it gone. There’s way too much advantage to attacking first with it, as well as early Eliza + Ripsnarl hitting your hero for 25+ damage on 10 gold, despite Pirates being underpowered in the endgame. And we still have a ton of useless minions like Mecharoo, Kindly Grandmother, The Beast, Imp Gang Boss, and Junkbot diluting the pool.

It’s incredibly disheartening because it feels like the Devs are more concerned with selling Tavern Passes and adding mechanics that stroke peoples’ gambling addictions than actually listening to the players and making the game better.

13 Likes

Yes i agree,its very lame to nerf the wulf and keep murlocs intact. Feels like a slap in the face to all BG players.
I dont know why they are so stuborn about murlocs but it has driven me away from this gamemode,which i guess isnt a bad thing in the end. Another 4 months of murloc forcing to win lobby is not for me no ty.
Feels like the devs have no connection to the players,or maybe only krip lol.

And i fully agree with you,games without murlocs are the best games.
Its pure blizzard beeing stuborn here,and when the designers are stuborn because of their own preferences you should just leave the game if you dont want get frustrated,its not worth it.

Murloc is high rng,most of the time it fails but somehow there is always one guy/girl getting exactly what he needs on every turn. Its incredibly frustrating.
Murlocs are the easiest to play and you either get all the cards or you fail hard,there is no in between. Ultimate tribe to give people free wins.
Dragons are kinda similar,you get your kalec from discover or you dont and if you dont you are done.

I guess i will spend my gold on standard this time. To much rigging in BG.

2 Likes

Agree on how murlocs left untouched but goldrinn is somehow breaking the BG on a comp you mabye seen 1 in 10 games win meanwhile murlocs are winning every other game. The parrot goldrinn beast build was actually hard to pull off as there are not many beasts with no deathrattles to get you there.

Was going to give you +1 until I read this. Stop with this its rigged crap.

3 Likes

Nerfing this card is a complete mystery to me. Once parrot got nerfed, it became a lot less common to see. Now it’s effectively dead. Meanwhile, we’re still playing “race to get murlocs” every game.

Well ok i will stop mentioning the rigging,even though it is happening all over the place.

But yes,there was no reason to nerf goldrin,noone did complain about that card ever. It wasnt that hard to get there,you just go with deathrattles untill you can slowly replace them and then you add the parrots. It was fun at least,murlocs are just plain boring stats and then the adept.

But why this patch,there must be a purpose other then trolling the players?

I am trying to understand why they moved the wolf up. I hadn’t seen anyone… anyone … complaining about that specific card. It was and has been the only way to make beasts work late in the game.

If they are going to move the wolf up, why didn’t the bear come down?

I just don’t get it.

I don’t like how they changed hooktusk and can’t see myself picking her. Removing the discover was not the nerf I was looking for because, you know, more RNG was exactly what the lobby needed.

And I don’t even understand the point of the new minion in T6.

1 Like

They tried to spice up the Menagerie.
And I bet in one week Goldrinn and Mama Bear will both be buffed into 6/6 giving +6/+6 or a severe nerf to Murlocs.

New minion in tier 6 is to help menagarie builds. Its pretty strong but more divine shield poison mechanics is not good for health of game.

1 Like

My last lobby, literally 6 people were trying to force murlocs and 1 forcing pirates, and me seeing no murlocs had to go menagerie. I got knocked out 2nd place to murloc endgame obviously, but it’s kind of crazy when 75 percent of the entire lobby is going one tribe.

6 PEOPLE, SIX

That is problematic no matter how you look at it.

2 Likes

qft

20 characters later

1 Like

Those changes are ridiculous! So Parrot builds are now completely reliant on perfect timing and hitting triples on tier 5? Plus having no other death rattle beasts so also hitting the Hydra and the 7/7! Plus hitting Barron! Plus hoping your opponent doesn’t have a Zap! You have more chance of forcing pogos then to have all this line up! Look I don’t like the Parrot but the bigger issue is making cards that have too much of an outcome if they attack first. What they did was completely neglect this issue. On top of that and is shows that they aren’t listening to the community is the fact that the cannon is unchanged, I’m surprised it’s still even in the game. For me the best cards are the cards that have effects in between turns. Lightfang Kalagos Hangry Dragon etc cards that you can control the outcome of how they work. Not completely rely on luck of who attacks first like Cannons and Parrots

Murlocs would be balanced if poison was not an option from Mega. That would be my only change on that front.

2 Likes

I saw there was a patch and got really excited, then I actually read the notes and was instantly dissapointed.

You mentioned basically everything in your post in regards to how I feel. Honestly feels like Blizzard doesn’t even play Battlegrounds cause they clearly have no idea about the state of it based on this patch.

1 Like

Can prove they have no idea. It says when you queue into a BG that murlocs are good early and that mechs are good late. Its one of those ticker things that change here and there. I have a screenie of it but I cant upload it but its 100% true.

Blizzard is a dogsh!t company that absolutely deserves every player they lose. They are probably the most out of touch, balanced/updatedly braindead, greed hungry, policy backward, politically hypocritical, lack of caring company in current operation. The only thing they are good at is their mastery of wrapping a dog turd in gold foil and selling it to the masses. They need to fail they need to go out of business. Players deserve better than whatever this thing that now calls Blizzard currently is.

1 Like

Remember when people were saying forcing pirates after the patch was the way to go? Not even 2 weeks after that it’s back to forcing murlocs every game. The only time I seem to have fun anymore in BG is having multiple Hoggars and trying to buy as many pirates I can in a turn with salty looters. Too bad they all die to a few divine shield murlocs.

The Goldrin nerf is beyond retarded, while arcane cannon is still 2 star. Now the only 5 star build is murlocs. I guess Blizzard want us to have mid range meta for ever and ever.

They weren’t even changes. Just a few pretend nerfs/buffs to keep us quiet while changing pretty much nothing of the swingy, highroll, rng meta and those ridiculous midrange otks.

T6 even got what basically amounts to a Murloc for everyone (it counts itself, works with Brann, Primalfin can search it). Now we can all highroll Poison DS. Great.

1 Like

The game is a bit of a steaming pile atm, horrible patch - possibly the worst one yet. And that’s saying something. It really is everyone chasing that ‘Murloc dream’ - the new Amalgam minion is completely stupid too, way too OP. So it’s chase murlocs, or go menagerie and race to tier 6 to grab the Amalgadon before anyone else. Some meta huh?

Atrocious. And they still refuse to reset the ladder. Not a chance of anyone 5-6K getting anywhere near 10K, yet the top streamers are bragging with their 14K MMR for click bait, even though we all know they climbed when it was MUCH easier and points were a lot higher to accumulate.

I pity anyone who’s paid as a newcomer to play this mess. I’m playing HS since Beta, and I cannot stand the main game nowadays, only wanting to play BG - but I did have enough gold in my old account to open up the extras. Not a hope in hell would I have paid $20 just to get 2 extra picks and the cheesey/useless emotes - unless they offered one that gives the finger to opponents clearly riding the system and lucking out

3 Likes

Honestly the one thing about the patch that confused me the most was the nerf to Goldrin. The macaw comp is actually quite hard to setup properly, and it’s not even guaranteed to win you the game. I could of perhaps accepted this change a bit easier if they moved Mama Bear to tier 5 to compensate for example. But hey ho…

I am also in the gang that endgame Murlocs has gone on a bit too far at this point, they just need to get rid of Megasaur. And replace it with a more reasonable alternative. And what on earth has happened to Demon builds? I guess their whole thing of being able to go big just isn’t that impressive anymore because Pirates and Dragons can do it better… Even Juggler builds are pretty much worthless at this point.

1 Like

Still don’t f-in understand why they nerfed Goldrim.
Beast is midrange build unless you hit both Goldrim and Baron. Now the only tier 5 beast is Ironhide and the card is mediocre at best, at least give us something.
This is like the early day murlocs when you had to either highroll megasaur or bust because there was no murloc on tier 5.

1 Like