Battlegrounds Ranking Worthless

Look, I have 655 hours in this game mode and I am shocked and ashamed that after ALL those hours put in, I am pretty much at the exact same point I was than when Battlegrounds came out.

I don’t understand how we’ve gone on for so long with this mode without a proper ranking system being implemented. The fact that there is no sense or meaning to the ranking is the MAJOR reason I often start a game and see that 3 opponents have already left the game.

It’s also frustrating to climb in the ranking for no real reason and then have your rank dropped back to 0 when they decided to do a fresh start.

Please add rewards or even just actual ranks rather than just a bigger number.

Personally i’d like a causal version without rank. Hate getting lucky and having my MMR shoot up high just to have to face off against try hards that only care about making top 4 and losing repeatedly for 2 days straight as a result. Battle grounds ends way too quick after you get above 5k MMR. I’d rather have it hit round 16-20 more regularly

If the mode offered rewards I think they’d try to monetize it harder. Be careful what you wish for. If you are not enjoying the mode because it’s not competitive then you’re not casual enough for it, give the main modes a go or try a different auto battler.

1 Like

How could they monetize it any harder than they already are? They already have:

-bg pass
-skins for heroes
-skins for bartender
-skins for arena
-skins for your attack animation

Literally everything is monetized. A couple ideas come to mind, but I’m not posting them because it would be the one time team 5 actually paid attention and implemented a change in the game.

1 Like

Yeah but the bg pass is relatively cheap if it’s your only mode and skins are entirely optional. Also some people who play battlegrounds don’t even buy the pass. The change I would expect is if you got more rewards from the mode then the bg pass gold price would probably also be increased. I mainly think they would want to prevent people from playing battlegrounds for 2-3 years then shifting all of the gold earned there into standard therefore bypassing the cost, I mean this is the challenge they have imposed on themselves by creating shared resources across multiple games in a single platform. Unless they rewarded you with cosmetics, then in that case it would probably take away from the amount of things they can sell to devoted bg’s players.

It’s practically mandatory, since it literally limits your chances of viable hero choice by 50% at the outset. Sure, you could willingly cripple your chances of a decent shot of getting a good hero, or just pay to win…but only the most dedicated “stick it to the scummy company” types would do that.

And I salute you, you glorious principled lot!

From “not an option?”

That’s more long term thinking than most players, let alone the company put into the game. They can’t even keep a “set the date” announcement.

As opposed to making it more clear to the player base these other modes were standalones that couldn’t stand alone unless they were leeching off of heartstone (gives mercstone the death glare).

That just goes back to “how could they monetize it harder?”

Because literally every facet of it is monetized.

Well okay so one thing is that more people play battlegrounds than any mode, so I guess in that regard it is the main hearthstone mode, it’s just not hearthstone to me because it’s an entirely different game, but that aside I think that people who play the collectable modes per/person probably spend more on card packs so I don’t feel like you are starved of resources because it doesn’t really cost you anything or much to remain viable. People don’t really think that they will play for 2-3 years in order to swap game modes it’s just that they tend to get bored after a set time and those players would just be sitting on stockpiled gold. From how many people have stopped playing battlegrounds recently and a slight increase in players on other modes, it actually looks like exactly that, people stockpile some gold and then move to the collectable modes of hearthstone, it’s already a thing that is happening. Also back in the day a lot of people rationalized playing battlegrounds because the collectable modes were too expensive.

Yeah, I play BG , never paid a cent anywhere in hearthstone, was rank 7k+ a few days ago, but yeah it is pointless ,

● an incentive for top 4 above “x” rank even something minor like 10 gold

1 Like

citation needed

So, the largest mode isn’t the largest mode?

Again, citation needed.

Which brings us right back to: the whole mode is super monetized as it is “how could they monetize it harder?”

In the current state, probably a bit more.

I don’t feel the need to cite on a forum you can google it if you are doubtful and okay it fluctuates month by month according to the firestone data on reddit a reddit post I saw but sometimes bg has more players, sometimes ranked standard, but when compared to duels, mercs, wild, classic etc, battlegrounds and ranked standard have about 80% of the total playerbase just from eyeballing the graphs. It is very clear that mostly when battlegrounds player base dips another modes spikes and in 2020/11 it’s never been more clear people were hopping to duels, so they basically required some kind of card collection for that, but they were able to obtain the gold/dust otherwise they wouldn’t have hopped modes.

Yeah but you don’t need to buy the cosmetics, nobody is forcing you to, whereas with the collectable mode if you don’t buy packs or play a lot you have decreased winrates. I’m not advocating that hearthstone isn’t incredibly stingy with rewards just that you don’t really need a monthly rewards system in battlegrounds and if you had it, it should reward something bg’s specific.

Well, reddit posts and trust me bro are fine for “I saw bigfoot on my grilled cheese” but not when making the kind of claims you are. Because now you’re all over the place, from:

to

to

If this was legitimate data, it would be shut down, like the time the wow playerbase info accidentally got out. They don’t post anything other than their metrics, and those don’t record anything close to the accuracy you’re describing, for obvious reasons.

That’s not the point of the discussion, which you originally brought up:

which again brings us full circle: the whole mode is super monetized as it is “how could they monetize it harder?”

but they are not doing anything illegal or breaching any rules. It’s firestone which is a legitimate third party add-on that tracks data, sure this means that their data pool is smaller than the overall playerbase, but it is large enough to probably give reliable data to a fairly small margin of error.

They could introduce heros or more things that require gold/cash to unlock that influence your ability to win games OR decrease rewards from other areas OR increase costs of certain aspects. Think like when they brought in the track rewards, the collectable modes lost some of the reward from the time spent playing in order to have this. Do you think if you get some reward overhaul that it’s not going to come out roughly the same as per their metrics indicate is a good level of rewards/grinding required?

Which means the claims you are making are not reliable, as the sample size, as you already admitted, is smaller than the playerbase and there’s no way of knowing if the app users are representative of the playerbase as a whole.

They already do this for free. having people pay for new heroes would not only make it pay to win, but would kill the mode, as the heroes are currently random, not a guaranteed pick.

That’s pretty vague, plus if they charge more for their already super monetized mode, people will stop buying the products. The skins, effects, and arenas aren’t that cool.

Well then in there lies your problem because there is probably nothing good to reward you if in this instance you basically don’t require gold and giving cosmetics that they are trying to sell might hinder their sales. Putting a hard defined ranking system might scare away the many casuals that were trying to escape ranking systems etc etc. I’m not saying a reward system cannot be done just that I think they’d literally need to create something new in this mode to give it to you which would take up dev time on top of a UI overhaul. That might result in a rewards rework, that you might not want because they might reward you less per time played or something in that sort of way to compensate. It might just result in adding more pressure to hit that rank and believe me you don’t really want that either, it’s bad enough in the collectable modes that you need to hit diamond 5 just to not fall behind and have to basically repeat this each month.

Well, that’s as clear as mud.

Which already exists, so cut out that chunk of blocktext.

Doesn’t exist in bgs.

It’s not hard defined, currently you have some sort of score rating that you would physically have to look up a distribution for to see what % of the player base you’d be categorized as and that’s really ambiguous. The main thing you get when you introduce a monthly reward is that hardcore players get more rewards than casuals and I’d at the least advocate for games that are supposed to be casual to move away from that.

and I don’t believe you’d benefit from having it there.

There’s a ranking system…what people are asking for is better rewards. This isn’t rocket science.

Then why did you even bring it up in the first place? It’s like addressing a problem that doesn’t exist.

If you read what I said thoroughly I stated that I was comparing it to collectable modes having hard defined borders like diamond 5 etc, I mean I guess you could put a reward in at 6500+ and give it a reset, it’d be pretty equivalent to having to hit diamond 5 each month, but why would you want that pressure and to obtain some kind of reward that you haven’t even said what exactly it is you’re expecting, someone mentioned 10g for top 4, but I don’t believe battlegrounds should even give gold because it’s an entirely different game, it should have it’s own currency and that would be way too much gold and many people would have to start afking battlegrounds just to stay on par with everyone else if the rewards were too good.

It’s an apples/oranges comparison. There’s literally no reward system now, and your answer is “it could be bad…so let’s keep the current reward system, which is nothing.”

Cool, you think bgs should have it’s own currency (to spend on…what, exactly?), and no rewards. Awesome…so basically no incentives for people to play it, but keep giving the company money.

I mean, you could have just said “I want people to just pay to play with no incentives” and be done with it.

It could have rewards, but currently as is they haven’t created anything that makes sense as a reward to give in battlegrounds. Part of the reason why there is nothing to give you is because basically most things in it are already given to you for free, but they didn’t have to do that, they could have made it so that you have to buy better heros for a chance for them to be in your pool, like once you’ve unlocked all the C tier you can purchase B tier or something like that, but it’s not how they have done it. They’ve already hindered their daily/weekly quests by trying to placate the battlegrounds community, when they could have made it some option you can toggle or something. There are so many issues and things they could improve in hearthstone that a suggestion like this just doesn’t sound priority.