BattleGrounds is broken with Trinkets

Was just playing a BG game. Playing a guy named “Boss” who used Deamons for his game. By turn 9, he already had 4 golden cards along with had four cards that had over 100 stats including one that had over 200 health??? I dont even know how that is possible to do based on limited coins by turn 9. Just quit game because there is 0 chance to even compete. Guy was just pinging everyone for 15. These stats are just not even fun at this point. All down to luck of draw of trinkets.

1 Like

LOL, I had the same. But I was the demon player.
I was already building a demon board and got Felbat Portrait ( * [5 Gold] Get a ‘Famished Felbat’. The Tavern always has 7 cards.)
Went on to buff the tavern as much as possible and got the card that doubles the end of turn effects. It was insane. Fun to play, but yes, I can imagine frustrating to play against.

Some absolutely nutty combos, early on. I do like that you can get certain trinkets and absolutely turn your game around, makes poor early game rng a bit more forgiving, but yeah some trinket combos are just insanely OP.

The balance is way off on BG, I like the trinket idea but maybe make them slightly less game breaking. The issue imo is that certain trinkets are absolutely broken, it makes wins feel unrewarding and losses just feels like you are getting a swirly for 30 minutes. I had a game where i had venom murloc lesser and greater trinket so every time it died i was +25 and i had 2 of them and a full murloc board, it’s not even fun for me to win like that, many of the trinkets are way busted and you get them so early in the game you haven’t decided a direction or those who have get ones that break the game.

1 Like

I just don’t understand how you can set your warband up to be entirely focused on one type, then when it comes to trinket selection, you can get literally the worst options that don’t seem to match what you’ve picked. Then someone who only picked up a couple of that type manages to snag the better trinket for the warband type you’re playing and then dominates with it.

Also - the greater trinket to get a Tier 7 EVERY TURN is absolutely broken, even the Tier 6 trinket is every 2 turns to get a card. Allows for insanely powerful builds for those who get it.

Also why have a greater trinket that gives 2 discovered tavern spells every turn, then another where you have to spend 7 gold? to get 1 spell. Honestly the trinkets are so out of balance.

I won’t even start on the quilboar trinkets… an already OP type made 10x worse if you can get the best trinkets for it.

1 Like

Read the trinket texts better; I have never seen selections that were “bugged”; it can go “wrong” by design if you mix a lot of tribes.

The only criticism that is valid is that it’s “too much text to read”. It might be a bigger problem on small mobile phones.

That’s where I feel like the decision making in the trinket selection should be made smarter though.

If you have a board with a majority of the same mixed type card, and one of those types is not of the 5 match types, it should realise the build you are going for. Otherwise it makes it that you intentionally should avoid mixed types until you have all your trinkets.

Yes and no. I mean I thought about it, but then it’s also new type of game; the game of “keep other tribes only if you really need them”; i.e. it’s subjective because difficult decisions like that can show skill against opponents.

battlegrounds is such trash right now… Taking 15 damage on turn 5 because jimmy over there high rolled like crazy and somehow has a tier 4 card while on t2. Like it stupid.
Reduce the cost to level or change what levels we get trinkets at… The game feels over most of the time before you even get them.
Oh you dont have some kind of way to scale within the first 3 turns? Yep youre dead.
Oh look im on Tier 3. Board is completely full of T1 minions…
Trinkets are trash the way they are. Some of them need to be removed completely like the chess set when mechs are in. You might as well leave the game if your opponent has that…
I could care less about my rank. Just let me pick what hero I WANT TO PLAY and then let me queue up. Ill just keep leaving matches until that happens. My rating is already high enough to continue having fun and it doesnt drop.

1 Like

Battlegrounds just change too much too frequently. It doesn’t feel like it’s designed well anymore, it feels like it’s designed to sell battle passes with the bare minimum of investment into the actual gameplay.

They’re selling fun on paper without seemingly any internal testing. It’s getting kind of old. Still the easiest game for me to play on the side while I work, however.

I’d pay a subscription to these things if it meant they’d actually invest properly into them. But the current business model likely doesn’t allow that.

2 Likes

There is no more balance. It’s more like playing slots and not a well thought out balanced game. I’m ready to go back to the buddy system

1 Like

Even though this is a necropost of sorts, it’s still a highly relevant topic so you get a pass from me. Trinkets had so much potential, and it was just absolutely squandered via half-baked implementation that at this point seems here to stay for the duration of the season. Like, if you’re going to do something, do it well the first time, or else at least commit to ongoing fixes. Well, we know it’s broken, and so far, the “fixes” have literally been “the Automaton trinket now costs 1 more gold.” :golf: :clap:

If the “smart decision” logic is too complicated, time consuming, resource-intensive, or otherwise spaghetti’d, just scrap the whole thing and make it COMPLETELY random. I’d rather get screwed by unadulterated chance instead of blind incompetence.