Battlegrounds has turned into High Roll BS

There is no linear progression to Battlegrounds. You either spike or you are out. There are too many power crept cards to keep this garbage mode balanced. It turns into the haves vs the have nots. Did you get power card on curve and made it to 6 early? If yes, keep playing, if not keep losing. There is no recovery for not hitting the power cards on curve. You just get dunked on the whole way until the game is over. No chance at winning, no reason to play. How is it on turn 8 people can have a board of 20’s and 30’s and others who got nothing can be at a board with 7’s and 10’s. How are the developers so terrible at their job? How can they look at this and be like “Ya, that’s good.”? The same problem sadly is in Standard too. Did you get pull your “I WIN” card? If yes, win, if not, lose. There is no middle ground anymore in this game due to massive amounts of power creep.

There is literally no skill in Battlegrounds. It is just, “Did you Highroll or not?”

8 Likes

It’s still very much “go undead or go home”. You can win with other tribes, but they are not as good as undead. So whoever gets Tier 6 undead minions first will likely win, the other Undead players will bottom out.

What I still cannot understand is why I cannot get triples when I’m the only one going a certain tribe and yet 4 people will go Undead and they all have 3 triples.

3 Likes

Because the first couple weeks of a new tribe where the new tribe is ALWAYS offered, there is more chance of that type of tribe to appear. The other problem is that since it is a finite pool of cards when the game starts, and the only cards that are added are off triples, you are then even more limited if you do not play that new tribe.

Essentially, Team 5 are inept, and can’t figure out that when you add more tribes, you now need to increase the potential pool at the start of the game and give more selections in bobs shop to adjust for the new tribe being there. Right now we should have 12 selections at T6 and 6 selections at T1 due to all the new tribes being added. If they don’t do what I suggest, it is just going to get more and more diluted to the point where only the new thing is viable, or menagerie.

TLDR: Team 5 have an incompetent design team.

3 Likes

Hungering abomination should be changed to Avenge 2, considering the absurd amount of reborn undead has

2 Likes

Really agree with this post. Even if you’re making value plays in bobs tavern you can still get bopped for 31 damage turn 10 by someone who got a Sister deathwhisper or 2. If that doesn’t take you down then it’s just a count-down until you play someone else going for the same reborn/deathwhisper and they knock you out. Did you get the sister card or not? If not 8-5, if so 1-4.

Unfun. Mad I payed for this battlepass when I was enjoying quest meta on the last one. DUPED AGAIN I GUESS

2 Likes

Undead are just too strong and they build so fast other tribes just cant keep up even if you golden roll them. Pirate and Mech are completely gone and Murlocs can win with certain heros and of course you can get some Men builds going and those can win as well but its rare if the undead build gets those tier six pieces.

After the last two expansions to BG’s Blizzard has made me F2P because I won’t give them any of my money for this game.

2 Likes

You are completely right OP. There is no chance in hell people are actually climbing from low mmr to top streamer MMR. It has to be predetermined MMR brackets.

I gave up on the “climb” a long time ago. Too much frustration when I realized the game had parked me at mid MMR and refused to budge no matter how hard I tried.

Its extremely high roll. You can cling on to some cowardly strategy but if the game has determined for you to lose it wont matter. You will just keep bleeding out slowly.

If you dont get good rolls at tavern 2 you and if you follow the standard curve you are screwed. There are no comeback strategies.

3 Likes

Well, I think the bigger issue is seeing what cards will work together in non-linear builds to survive and advance.

Learning to cheat the economy and dodging the bait is the crux of the mode more than seeing easy high roll strats.

The middle ground is about skill in both modes, though. It sounds like you have a pretty surface level understanding of BG and you’ve reached a skill cap more than highroll.

If anything, this current meta is LESS high roll that stupid quests, which were braindead autopilot.

1 Like

Just went 38 life to 0 on turn 10. What fun I had. The incompetence of Team 5 is astounding. They really need to turn down the power creep of some of these cards.

1 Like

It’s not really the tier 6 rush for the undead ATM. Right now they are trying to fill out with Tier 4 and 5’s and then if the Knights have come early enough they will jump to 6 for the summoner. Ironically Sister isn’t even that good most of the time on 6 now since the undead builds outside of an extreme high roll have to diversify into a partial Menagerie. Makes the Sister less attractive since the buffs aren’t on the majority of minions. Soulsplitter is a must have for undead on 5 so if they are rushing that’s what they are looking for.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say it’s the rush to Tier 6, but rather a rush to get Tier 6 undead minions. Tripling at Tier 5 and going from there.

I still am puzzled with how undead players are tripling so much. I don’t get it. I know that undead is forced in the pool, but is it really forced to appear more often?

The math is way off. If 4 people are going undead, how are they all tripling so many times while myself and other people going a different tribe are struggling to triple just once. I consistently get to Tier 8-9 without a single triple if I’m going Elementals, Beasts, Mechs, etc. Undead players in the lobby sitting at 2-3 triples each.

Then I go undead and I’m tripling all over the place with them.

Nothing seems right.

1 Like

finally, undead are rotating with the rest. Almost feels weird to not see them in a bg.

1 Like

This usually is a you problem. If your board is that bad you are doing it wrong.

Are you saying the game wants you to stay at a particular bracket? Are you saying the fact you are stuck at a particular bracket has absolutely nothing to do with you, just the game? It can’t possibly be because you are maintaining your playstyle and strategies and not adjusting to those you find at your current bracket of mmr?

I slightly disagree. If you have a decent board of Reborns and plenty of health to let Sister scale your minions, you can still pull ahead. But I will say you can’t just grab and switch no matter the circumstances anymore, especially if low on health.

Clearly my fault that I didn’t high roll well enough. In my next game I will also ensure that have triple Mag, recycling and Nomi by turn 11 with 300 worth of stats on the board by just playing better. Yes, playing better is definitely how I fix that problem. I will just will the cards into existence by sheer determination. That will definitely solve the issue. I am sure that me thinking really hard about getting high roll cards with synergy will definitely make it come true.

The cards people are able to choose from is clearly them not playing hard enough… It definitely can have nothing to do with certain cards having too much power creep and determination in who wins the game. I am sure it also has nothing to do with Hero Powers definitely not having too much disparity and Blizzardo thinking a bit of Armor is going to fix it. Nope it definitely can’t be that either. The player just needs to play better to solve all the game design flaws. Yup, that is it, you hit the nail on the head @ LimeBeast

Not knowing how to put them together is the problem.

I haven’t finished 8th - outside of conceding bad hero choices - ever.

Not once.

“Highroll” is what you tell yourself, but it’s not “highroll” that you lose to.

Oh, my bad, I didn’t realize that you got different cards than the whole rest of the lobby. I assumed everyone has the same design flaws and some of use are just better at the stupid game mode than others.

This used to be one of the less strong undead but now it is probably the best unit.

The other day i got one early and it did go to 170 ish (on golden) in some random menagerie build without doing anything special.

Not sure what is wrong with game and updates. Its always fun after update but somehow it never lasts long. Maybe the game is to easy to figure out.

This tells me all I need to know about your understanding of the game.

Let me fill you in, so you can understand it too. There is a limited card pool available to players. The only way that card pool expands is if people triple or discover a new card that was not originally in the pool. So if you do not get to that limited card pool first, you dont get the cards unless they are generated from somewhere else. This means that you are most likely not going to be offered what others have been offered unless they pass on it, or you are the first person to the tier. Therefore, your statement proves to me you have no idea how this game works.

Glad I could give you a lesson in Hearthstone 101, affectionately known as “Hearthstone for Newbies”. Please learn more about the game before posting here.

1 Like

I know.

This is wrong, actually. You can discover extra copies in rare circumstances, but it’s removed from the pool once you have it.

Sure, but we’re talking about the early rounds and literally hundreds of available cards to be combined effectively to not get scammed out of the lobby first, not the ins and out of endgame minutia.

If you can’t stay for fifth or higher, it’s a you problem, not a card pool issue.

Seems like you’ve been hit with bad case of Dunning-Kruger.

Unfortunately, there’s no cure for what ails you that anyone else can help you with.

Enjoy your losses and keep raging at the game!

No we are not. We are talking about broken highroll cards, hence the title of this thread. You may be talking about all the garbage cards, but that isn’t what this topic is about. It is about the busted cards that lead to steam roll games. Those busted cards are in very limited supply if they exist at all. So once you get one of those cards, you power spikes. If you do not get one of those cards, you get steam rolled. Any card that is a permanent stat gaining card, especially one that gives stats to all cards, are busted cards. The problem is you gain power for doing nothing, while other cards do nothing while gaining nothing or they do something buy don’t gain it permanently.

Anything that discovers a new card can do this: Murgle Hero Power, Toki Hero Power, Faceless Disciple, Tripling, Primalfin, Tavern Tempest and Djinni, etc. The list is does not exactly make it a rare circumstance, but it still isn’t happening that often. If it does happen, and the player does not discard it, it still isn’t in the pool for you to select, furthering my point that you do not have access to the same pool as others.

Seems like you’ve been hit with bad case of Stockholm-Syndrome

Unfortunately, there’s no cure for what ails you that anyone else can help you with.

Enjoy your losses and praising the game!