Astalor's Unimaginative Design

Astalor has an interesting mechanic attatched to one of the laziest boons I’ve seen in the game, and he needs changing.

Having a card shift to two other card forms is interesting. Doing a little bit of damage on 1st form and then getting some armor on the 2nd form is all good and well. The problem is his third form simply doing more damage.

Like, how in the Lich King’s rotting butthole did anyone think damage < armor < more damage was a good or interesting design? It just feels so incredibly lazy on what is otherwise an interesting card and a waste of its potential.

Was there really no other idea beside making him a beatstick? No draw, card generation, minion buff, or other mechanic that could have been used instead on the 3rd form with manathirst?

He could have been a fun utility character that deals early game damage for a minion snipe, some armor for mid-mana survivability, and a third ability that improved your board state instead of randomly firing more damage. He needs a change to make his third form more interesting so he has a role in decks aside from being an auto-include for some stupid easy damage. I don’t even care about win rate percentages for the card, I care about how seemingly lazy and unimaginative his final form is, which sucks given the amount of new and unique mechanics hitting the game as of late.

Does anyone else dislike his 3rd form?

His third form is a worse denathrius. Which already gave me a very strong dislike of him coming off of Castle Nathria.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the devs didn’t want to let go of that “stronger arcane missiles” battlecry just yet.

One of the stupid cards of this game to remove, you have to stop with the overpowered cards, today aggro decks win easily against control decks and it’s not normal, on all the ccg control deck > aggro deck except on hearthsone (100% garbage game).

You gotta be trolling

Feel free to enlighten me if I’m wrong.

You know come to think of it, you might be interpreting that the wrong way. I’m talking about the card itself, not any potential combos. Denathrius (pre nerf) would be infused higher than even astalor’s manathirst amount and obviously has lifesteal.

Astalor is the embodiment of everything wrong with HS and the devs involved should all be fired, well that’s the nice alternative.

Good point. What is the armor about? I’m not a fan of having multiple Astalors on your board at the same time. I’d rather see it be a return-to-hand effect, like a few other cards they’ve designed recently, but not a deathrattle. So a non-silenceable return to hand effect, with limited uses.

At least they rotated brann. That’s something.

I can still remember it like it was yesterday when they first announced C’Thun… I thought, geez what a lazy card for lazy unimaginative decks.

Nothing has changed.

How many years ago was that now?

I didn’t have much of an issue with Brann except for those few outliers, and those cards were like Astalor where it was just beatstick dumb select damage. The game is more interesting and does better when it doesn’t allow large amount of dumb select damage.