Are arena's rigged?

Anyone else feel as though arena is rigged? Especially for those who buy runes. When I don’t buy runes, I avg about 4-3. When I buy runes I avg 1-3. Out of 20 runs I was 17-13 ( no runes) and out of another 20 7-23 (with runes). I’ve considered the gambler’s fallacy, but it’s too consistent when the algorithm knows I’m buying runes. Please respond with your experiences. Thanks.

1 Like

No arena experience here, but do I understand you correctly: You lose more, when you do not buy runes for arena? So Blizzard favors F2P?

1 Like

Is this a serious question?

Of course arena is rigged… like any other game modes in Hearthstone.
No matter what you play… standard, wild, BG, arena are all manipulated for the same reason.

1 Like

No I lose more when I buy runes and play. It seems as though I’ve got lost in my addiction and I also wonder if they do that to deter people lol, almost as a deterrence to make people stop playing/spending so much.

No, but the skill cap for it has decreased significantly through the years ever since they did the whole “buckets” thing. It’s now easier for bad players to get a few wins and harder for good players to get more than a few wins since everyone can have/draft the same decks (that 90% of players are told by a program what to pick if it wasn’t obvious). And of course, there’s still the problem of mulligan/draw and going first/second, all of which can decide the games as early as turn 1.

Or that you spend the runes as quickly as possible (via short arenas) so that you can buy them again.

Yes it is 100% percent rigged in my opinion.
It curates the cards to determine who will win. It will curate your opponents depending on what you have in your deck. Put Geists in your deck and you will never see an emerald golem druid again until you remove them.
Don’t play for a week and then when you do play it lets you win like 20 games out of 30.
Play game after game while watching TV for hours and hours, and you will lose and lose the longer you play.
I have been playing since it came out and I noticed this right away.

What reason would that be? Because truly random games are proveably more addictive than rigged games.

Before you had any evidence, you had already formed your conclusion.

I think it’s just that since it has a limited amount of sets to pool from it eventually gets “figured out”. When arena was Wild there was no “figuring out” arena.

Funny how this also applies here.

Unless, of course, you have the evidence?

1 Like

I have also thought about this. I win using gold. Less often with runes.

Every notice the transaction time when using a rune vs using gold. Runes spin for 3+ seconds.
Gold barely a spin.

Well I can say BG is 110% rigged, like this morning did 50 rerolls at 7 times that’s 350 cards and not 1 Quillboar or being Tier 6 and not get a single tier 5 or 6 entire game over and over…I did complain about this, started happening when I hit the 6k rating

This implies they have ANY evidence. Conspiracy theorists only have hearsay, at best “trust me, bro”.

Chances are low, but I’m sure it can happen. I had a round this morning playing eles where I didn’t roll any eles in the tavern. I made do with what was offered and went on to win the lobby.

I’m sure you transitioned from QBs to something else since the shop wasn’t offering them. I mean, your chances of getting minions from the other tribes is greatly increased if it in fact isn’t giving anything from an entire tribe.

My bad, I wrote proveably but autocorrect changed it. Random is proven to be more addictive than rigged. Or I guess to be precise you might want to rig things early but then stop rigging and go random after.

Like let’s say that you have a bunch of pigeons in boxes, and each box has water, a button the bird can peck, and a food dispenser that can be tied to the button. Long term the best strategy to get the most pecks is not any pattern of any kind. It is about 10% chance of giving a food pellet per peck, randomly — the exact percentage does vary a bit from bird to bird. Their brains will tell them to peck buttons for fun at that point, even if they can’t eat it, just to make number go up. But you do want to rig the first button press so the first peck always gives a pellet — that is, rig in the player’s favor, not against them.

These were the original Skinner boxes. B F Skinner liked to experiment on pigeons. The psychological term of art for deliberately fostering addiction in a video game is a Skinner Box. They think of you as about as smart as a pigeon. And they know what works best. It just happens to not be rigging.

Now personally, I believe that it is the mind’s desire, or perhaps more accurately desperation, to see patterns that makes randomness so addictive. Our brain wants there to be a pattern so when one isn’t obvious we want to search for it, and in that process we make all kinds of hypotheses to test out and create all kinds of superstitions. But that’s just the thing, you can play that guessing game forever because it’s a puzzle with no answer, no pattern there at all.