Android: Client won't update, claims not enough space

Repro’d even with fresh install:

1. Install Hearthstone client from Google Play Store
  2. Make sure Hearthstone app has storage permission
  3. Launch Hearthstone app

Version check kicks off download
!= Error message: There is not enough space on your device to install Hearthstone. [QUIT]

But my device (OnePlus 6T) has 80+ Gb of local storage free. Android (OxygenOS) 9.0.13.
Previous updates worked on this phone for almost a year - until now.

Would you happen to have an SD card or any external storage? We’ve seen some issues with SD cards before where this error prompts. Temporarily removing the SD card and reinstalling should fix this error.

I got the same error message, no SD card, 60 Gb free space, permission to the storage given, no matter wifi or cellular. Please help, because I ran out of ideas to solve this.

Same issue. OnePlus 6T with 256 Gb. Updated, reinstalled several times same issue. Cleared cache, toggled storage permission on… same results: checking for updates, loading bar never moves and then not enough space message! There is no SD card slot on this phone only onboard storage.

Same issue here… running on pixel 3 with over 85 GB of internal storage left. Last attempt was to uninstall, then reinstall the game and now at half way through the download it stops and tells me I don’t have enough space. Could this have anything to do with the fact that I’m running Android version 10?

Thanks for reporting this! If this isn’t caused by an SD card, could we check to ensure Hearthstone has the proper permissions to the phone’s storage? This is general steps, but may vary from device to device.

1. Open Settings
  2. Click Apps
  3. Choose Hearthstone
  4. Choose Permissions
  5. Allow Hearthstone to access storage

Yes, I have tried to install with location and storage permissions, and also with just storage permissions (no location) and I’m still stuck. Update stops at exactly 525.4 MB every time I try re-download.

As noted in OP, app had all storage permissions. Problem apparently got fixed in the next client patch - I just gave up trying to play on my phone for a few weeks.