5 Nerfs and 10 bufs.... But we don't know yet?

According to the latest VS report, Spell Mage has a favorable matchup against Control Priest, and so does Midrange DH (the one that runs Inquisitors), Poison Rogue, and Secret Rogue. The DH and Poison Rogue decks in particular are likely to become more popular once Paladin gets nerfed.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought.

Actually, I should try my best to explain, I was on my phone earlier.

Heres the scenario of the matchup for Weapon Rogue against Control Flesh Giant Priest.

1. Weapon Rogue’s Shank has a durability count, it doesn’t have unlimited charges because the deck only has 6 poison in it (wand maker could create more but you have to get lucky) making 8 charges the highest without being lucky, Shanks is not an unlimited hit weapon.

2. Silverleaf poison card draw is a bait against good Priest player, the good Rogues will only play 1x on the weapon and won’t put the 2nd poison unless the Priest had a bad starting hand and draws, despite its a poison and it can give Shank additional durability, but because weapon Rogue cycle through their deck so fast, the draw 2 card per hit will likely come back to bite Rogue later on due to fatigue damage and running out of cards (per hit), Rogue will kill themselves eventually if they cannot kill the Priest fast enough with 2 silverleaf poison in their weapon. As Rogue ran out of cards in their deck, in just 2 turns, Rogue will inflict 21 fatigue damage to themselves, and the 3rd turn will never come. So even if the Rogue has a 10 damage immune when attack and unlimited charge weapon, they cannot stop the draw 2 cards per punch and just die to fatigue.

3. Weapon Rogue has minions, and this is an issue for them, they cannot make the minion go away and it punishe the Rogue when they play those minions, the 2/1 Prize Plunderer, 2/2 Wandmaker and 3/10 Mankrik will get punished by Priest Flesh Giant broom Apo rush lifesteal, and it can gain more by using Hysteria running into the lifesteal giant.

When the Priest player don’t misplay and the Rogue player went with the gamble with 2 silverleaf poison used, it’s always gg for the Rogue, it boils down to Illucia removing 1 or 2 sinister strike and the game is likely over for the Rogue because Rogue can’t burst 26 dmg(26 is standard highest dmg if wandmaker didn’t conjure additional deadly poison) in a single turn.

2 Likes
  1. You claimed Control Priest beats Weapon Rogue
  2. You claimed to be part of the Secret Top Legend cabal.

I don’t believe either one.

Welp I am rank 222, pm me if u want screenies.

If you don’t believe is fine tho, I just feel like sharing and I think sharing that info might come back to bite Rogue later on as people pick up those information as Priest (considering the other ranks misplayed so much in this matchup)

Eitherway it hurt me more by sharing it, there is nothing for me to gain in spreading info. You can continue to not believe and think otherwise is completely fine, I think is normal for you to not believe, it would be problematic if you believe(lol)

1 Like

DansGame . Funny you mention it.

Well, this should be a pretty juicy balance patch.

With five nerfs, I don’t know if they’ll hit both Incanter’s Flow and Spring Water, but I’m sure Spell Mage is getting a kick in the hoo-ha.

With ten freaking buffs though, I expect to see some love for Hero Power Mage, which may very well swing things in favor of the very first iteration I built for this expansion.

Lemons into lemonade, folks. We got ten buffs coming!

With buffs I can see them kicking BS Mage to the curb and giving Wildfire some much needed juice

You have no idea how perfectly fine with that notion I am lol.

My original build was a fair bit more minion-heavy, making IF and Water terrible inclusions. Worked great against Priest/Warlock, had trouble dealing with Paladin unless you got lucky on your draws by the midgame.

Well I have this Mordresh that I opened which is never going to see play otherwise, so i’m game

1 Like

They should buff cards which no one plays. Like that druid legendary that gives a non taunt version of a taunt minion.

I was thinking that too but what would you buff for hunter? All their cards either work well with the main strategy they have at the moment or buffing them would either do nothing or create overstatted minions that would just go into face hunter for their cheap stats.

DH has deathrattle, druid has taunt, mage has hero power, paladin has dudes and handbuffing, priest has spell spamming and buffs, rogue has secrets, shaman has murlocs or elementals, warrior has frenzy, and warlock has zoo but I can’t think of anything that could use a buff for hunter. There’s Tavish but if you buff him to a 3/5 or 2/6 that’s just an aggressively statted minion for 3 mana with some upside, if you reduce his mana cost then he’s a 2/5 for 2. His effect doesn’t leave room for buffing either.

They probably gonna end mass buffing shaman and making maybe 3 or 4 to other classes cards.

We can tell goodbye to mage because just the fact that hero power mage is a “button deck” is enough for they not even consider buff it.

They probably try compensate warlock for losing tickatus too.

Just for info, top legend is the first page leaderboard or top 16, top 20, depending on whom you ask.
Someone at rank 10 has an insanely higher “elo” rating, hidden mmr than someone at legend 100.

I don’t find you on hearthstone.tv, unless you are from Malaysia?

https://hearthstone.tv/ladder/player/aKiSera

But then again my forum account isn’t my main account either.

Unlike Marco, I accept that someone at rank 200 has more knowledge of the rank 200+ meta than most people. However, you are part of the 0,01 percent of Hearthstone best players and I don’t think we should balance HS around the few.
Priest will for example remain comparatively (the accent is on the last word) unpopular as long as Warlock runs amok outside of high legend - this is the reality for most people.

That’s why I believe we need to mainly centre the meta around dia 4-1 where the casual and new people, and everyone else still tries to reach legend for the first time.

I hope they announce these nerfes and buffs this time. Last two times they have been stealth added so people have not have a chance to de Ysera and watchpost legendary

Not really wrong but I need to give a warn to that line of thinking.

People at high legend have an idea of the main impacts of changes and while you not balance the game around they.

Most of what they warn people out that can happen actually happen in general.

And let’s be real:
Legend is more fun when the metagame isn’t perfect either.
Why?
Everyone trying to get an gap over the other is more competitive than just people playing random decks.

1 Like

It is true that the meta knowledge is far more advanced in high legend and thus some changes will affect the rest of the ladder as well, but certain archetypes will always be played more everywhere else on the ladder than in high legend, namely aggro and “fun archetypes” (Facehunter and Tickatus Warlock as representatives, while gold is full of janky value decks.

I not sure about nerf tickatus because if I really had to do an move over tickatus warlock as a dev I would:

1. Be incredible upset.
  2. Be sure to cut the evil from it’s roots.

In other words:
I would early rotate tickatus to make sure it literally get out of standard.

Why?
Just imagine if you nerf tickatus and the deck not move a single % in playrate…

It sure isn’t Winrate that makes people play it.

I also would determine to mill decks return to be an actual archtype that gets developed just because the public is here and it’s clear the game population is starved for it.

Mill is fun for me.
Doesn’t have to make anyone feel “happy” or “fair” for some people to love it.
It will, and should, stay.

I think I got a feeling of what the five nerfs will be. They are as follows:

• Crabrider (mentioned in the first announcement)
  • Incanter’s Flow (mentioned in the second)
  • Sorcerer’s Apprentice (Wild-centric nerf, this card is making APM Mage way too reliable in Wild
  • Refreshing Spring Water (Partially because of Standard, partially because of it’s use in APM Mage in Wild)
  • Animated Broomstick (way too reliable to pinch off combos with it both in Standard and Wild)

These are educated guesses though, so I might be wrong.

1 Like