20.4.2 Patch Notes

There are a few cards I would ban for wild. They were fun in standard, but in wild cause unfun games. I think the concept of banned cards in wild is fine, but I do think Stealer of souls could have done with a nerf to be just the next card, or next two cards drawn. The real issue is all the types of mana cheating. You rarely ever see someone play a full cost 7+ mana card anymore without somehow cheating it out early or reducing the cost.

2 Likes

I think it’s pretty clear at this point that the game could benefit from having a third format that’s essentially Wild with a Banlist.

That way, everybody wins.

Players that want Wild without restrictions and filled with the most broken stuff imaginable can play Wild and players that want a more curated version of Wild (similar to Standard, but with a much larger card pool and a slightly higher power level) can play this new format.

The only real downside to this is that it would split up the playerbase even further, but, IMO, that’s a small price to pay.

3 Likes

I’m a Wild player, and i’m disappointed about the ban, nerf it, or not, but don’t ban it.

Wild is an all goes format, ban a card in an eternal format is ridiculous (even more in an online tcg), and personally i prefer to face a stealer of souls warlock, than a secret/hero power mage or a deathrattle/taunt/ress priest.

If you want, you can even nerf it in wild only, and leave it in standard as it is right now.

Just my Opinion.

7 Likes

Wild is literally supposed to be every card in the game. With this patch you have, by definition, destroyed the integrity of the mode.

Don’t ban the card. Nerf it and just be done with it. You’ve fragmented Hearthstone enough, we don’t need this.

6 Likes

Why not ban like 15+ other cards that are literally ruining the point of creativity in hearthstone.

4 Likes

Just in time after 2 weeks.

Why not just do something Magic the Gathering does: Add in that Health-based casting costs can’t be negated by Immune?

1 Like

THIS!
Immune should only protect from opponent sources of damage, just like how you can’t trigger your own secrets.

Yes! Totally!
Immune should only be against opponent sources, much like with how you cannot be the one to trigger your own secrets.

I also found this decision by the devs incredibly disappointing. The decks build around it were strong and fun to play in wild. They also had significant drawbacks (50/50 to draw the combo by turn 5-6, chance of failing the combo due to poor draws or apm, weak against aggro decks, weak against secrets). Because of this, it was a 60% WR deck. The best wild decks are 75+% right now.

Presumably, the ban was due to it being unenjoyable to play against? So what?

Many wild decks are unenjoyable to play against when you’re not playing a counter. Personally, I hate playing against secret mage. I usually concede on turn 1 or 2 against them. Should Blizzard BAN the 2/1 secret idiot or the 0-mana 5/5 just because I don’t enjoy playing against it??? NO.

They keep making mediocre decisions, then stepping them back instead of trying to find a long-term solution and just move forward with the game…

The problem: Stealer of Souls in neither fun nor interactive to play against in wild, much like many other cards throughout the history of Hearthstone. Most players would agree that some cards and their decks are incredibly frustrating to play against. However, which cards exactly are the perpetrators is widely disputed amongst the player base.

I don’t want to try and list all the cards/decks we players whine about, but there are dozens. (Odd Paly, Odd DH, Face Hunter, Quest Rogue, Secret Mage, Shudderwock, Res Priest, Disco Warlock, every Druid otk, Tickatus, Glarelock, Raza Priest, every Mage otk, every other turn 5-6 otk in wild).

The Solution: Allow players to ban a set number of cards when they queue. In standard, an easy starting place would be 1 card per active set (4-6). In wild, you would want more or equal to standard, so you could try 1 card per year of the game (7). Regardless, you can always adjust the number of bans to find that sweet spot between fun, competitiveness, and queue times.

This gives the devs freedom to make interesting and powerful cards, knowing they have a system built into the game which actively prevents any 1 or 2 cards from ruining the playing experience for the majority of players or defining the entire meta.

If they just implement something simple like that (and it would be simple - create a dedicated deck slot for standard and wild bans, then match that list against opponents during queue), the devs cut the criticism off at the heels and NEVER have to deal with this problem again. OR, they can do nothing to actually solve the problem, and continue to waste their limited time answering criticism and putting band-aids on minor problems.

I just saw MFalcon’s post, and they had the same suggestion - except with a 3rd format instead of implementing it in existing formats. I obviously agree that is a good idea, but I would like to see the bans added to both existing formats. So many players would be happy if they could ban Tickatus, Deck of Lunacy, Libram, etc. And if they could just ban a few cards themselves, Blizzard wouldn’t have to worry about balancing mediocre playrate/winrate cards.

4 Likes

I hope they will nerf SoS in a proper way only in wild; I don’t want to wait 2 years with one less interesting option.

If they banned an evergreen card like guldanDK for 2 years (for whatever reason), I would be less mad than seeing a new card banned.
Since they didn’t want to change it because of standard, I guess we will see new cards that go well with it.
It would be a shame not being able to use them in wild… so I just hope to see it nerfed at the start of the next expansion (only nerfed for wild if in standard they can’t change it for whatever reason…)

This is what I would actually prefer and it shouldn’t be that hard to accomplish too.

I can’t understand why they didn’t go in that direction

Some people that are “crying” are just scared to see the mode they play (wild) destroyd by ban, instead of balanced as standard.

2 Likes

Ok, now please ban Archivist Elysiana from wild. It is very annoying and unfair since I play with Tickatus Warlock and they deny my strategy. Also, ban Mozaki. Please.

What about Brawl? Will you ban it from brawl too, because wild is sometimes allowed in there?

2 Likes

Putting in for a refund only play wild so i want my money back, wont refund my money either #falseadvertisement.

1 Like

And lets not forget the lich KING is also currently Banned from battlegrounds.

Oh wow! When and why that happened?

Also agree that banning card from a wild is incorrect decision. This just proves once again how inconstitent HS team is.

We were told that “Wild is just like that… WILD”, now you censor it here and there.

Anyone remembers “Evergreen sets” that were supposed to be just like that - evergreen. Guess what happened.

I’d say that’s bad reputation move.

I have couple of own questions:

1. What about the glitch in BGs when minion moves occassionally under cursor? Resulting into Annoy-o-Module/Replicating Menace being played stand alone instead of magnetizing. This bug has been there for couple of patches now. That also happen when you try to sell a minion and suddenly you grab another minion from the board.
  2. What about “You were disconnected” and wifi icon on desktop with ethernet connection? That’s really annoying. You queue for a match, go for a cup of tea and then 2 mins later - bam, nothing happened because you were silently “disconnected”.
    Why not just check it upon queueing? Why players have to be frustrated and irritated?
  3. What about using correct wording of “QuilboarS” in BGs? I mentioned this issue in previous patch where there were a lot of wording changes and adjustments. But yet we have Elementals, Dragons etc… and a Quilboar.
    _https://i.imgflip.com/5diy5h.jpg

Thanks

1 Like

Another thing is it would split development/testing resources. It’s clearly an issue already with HS team.

I don’t know honestly either, I mean the appeal of Wild was “Any cards you normally wouldn’t be able to play is allow there” - As I’ve state it seems like a bad thing to say “we’re banning this card for basically 2 years from wild” cause brawls and etc, or what about Arena/Duels and etc, It’s not hard to say " Hey We mess up bad and we realize we can split Standard and wild card from each other using the same framework as Classic so we can better focus cards that are standard and wild metas without them overlaping in broken combos later".

That way if something truly becomes broken like the OTK miller and etc, Stealer of soul and etc comes from newest cards they can basically remove 1 toxic meta while still “push” the meta they wanted for standard.

But they love contradicting their statements more - Still waiting for this “Feral” Druid or Heal Druid or Gonk and etc meta where we were promise this “solid theme” and really saw nothing of sort in the end but more token support really. It wouldn’t kill them to skip 1 meta doing less token/treants and maybe give a better foundation on what they wanna say much like how Druid really didn’t get any Choose one cards, even tho that the “Druid” thing y’know?

2 Likes

I think they should stop supporting token druid, face hunter, random bs mage and so on for at least one year.

What’s the point of the rotation if every year the archetypes proposed are the same?
Freeze shaman was bad? Support it and made it playable! No, better to forget it and move on…

Ok so I logged in today and did not read this post until AFTER I tried queing with my warlock deck that is less useful than a paper weight just then. I have an Inquire about what happens when it rotates out of standard and back into wild, will you just nerf it again? Also is it bad it kind of blows my mind I paid real money for this card?

2 Likes

Thank you, Glad i’m not the only shaman that was been waiting for freeze shaman for years at this point. I even got the Shaman freeze legendary day one, whats worse they even nerfed it, most of the freeze cards used to be able to freeze friendly targets too!

2 Likes

If you paid $$$ you still get 200 dust for it which is good deal. You can craft for it any rare you want.