Why an Auction House Would Be Bad for D4

No. OP just wants attention.

1 Like

Who said they should add an auction house? Who are you even arguing here?

No, I should have added up front that I’ve seen a fair number of comments requesting an auction house (and increased trading as well).

1 Like

Give up dude. Most people here are obsessed in trading and doing business in games. You won’t get anything but disagreement and sarcasm.

Unfortunately, those of us who do not want to trade are the minority.

And there are many who would agree with making the game more difficult.

The way to make everyone happy is to not make the game more difficult based on trading. Since anyone who wants a more difficult game can voluntarily set limitations for themselves.

Now… trading already exists, and therefore the game IS ALREADY balanced to be more difficult. The AH would only make it more accessible to more players.

Im in same camp in that AH is bad but I made a post supporting it as it needs to come anyways because a majority of players want it and D4 S4 has made it needed.

Auction House = https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/the-case-in-favor-of-a-s4-auction-house

I remember when they had this feature in early D3. It was a disaster. Pretty much why it got removed.
Never say never but I would be surprised if they ever implemented this.

2 Likes

I can’t say I’d be against a Auction House. As mainly a MMO player (Back in the day) it’s in nearly every mmo. I could turn off Trade channel but I like it on as people mainly use it as a global chat. If I could see less “50/50 bla bla for sale” I’d be happy. Sure the server has been live for 3hrs and you have 50/50 for sale already… Right… this was prt but still.

1 Like

You can already buy and sell stuff with black market RMT, even more so come S4 I’m sure.

Auction House has been in the game for a long time, just got to bust out the credit card and you’re golden.

And don’t think adding an "actual’ Auction House for gold would function any differently.

Prices will be ridiculous for anything half decent, gold sellers jump in and we’re back to black market RMT deals to get gold/gear.

I think that is the biggest Rub. Gold has zero value. I could ask 400mil for an item but then what do I do with 400mil? Nothing. It’s a one sided trade I feel. Trading between friends I can see of course. I don’t know as a SSF player, gold has no value in the game.

Now if you could put up for trade “50x” for “50y” thats a values trade.

1 Like

D4 S4 the need for AH is going to be massive. The amount of trade needed is too much. WE cant rely on third party anymore. They can make AH somewhat tolerable with my posted ideas on it above… The main thing being bought items become bound.

I am sure there will be complaints about that.

Prevents flipping. You go to AH to buy items for your character and not play trade sim 5000 fixing market. Pros outweigh cons by a large margin.

3 Likes

I made a lot of gold flipping stuff over at WoW, so much so it paid for years of subs and 2 expansions, once you know the market or have an app that does, well it’s just about printing money then.

Auction House is fun and I would do it all over again! But became intolerable trying to beat bots to the punch at the end there.

Diablo doesn’t release data like WoW, no addons here, so for sure not the same animal, maybe they can lock it down tight but I don’t trust gamers much these days.

I’m sure it’ll meet the same fate as the RMT AH in D3.

I played D3 from launch for years. The game got a lot better when they removed the AH.

1 Like

It is already exist, you can just buy gold and boss material outside and trade in Diablo Trade website for what ever you want. Not sure why need to make this post.

Excessive RMT can be avoided if you use some in-game currency as the trading currency and bind your character when trading items.

I was really curious what another stupid argument I will see in “I don´t want AH”

But you deliver fair point. You are right. For example PoE would be impossible to play for me without trading.

On the other hand trading is already in game, and players already trading. I just don´t bcs I am not willing to engage in 3rd site like in 10 year old game.

AH would just make trading more accessible.

I think LE solution would be best they can just copy it… (like they did with itemization :D)

1 Like

If that is introduced, I believe there will be some in-game money laundering system developed by the most creative traders :rofl:

What OP is describing is “exactly” what happened in D3. Imagine doing Duriel runs for a year and one Shako drops and everybody thinks how lucky you are. The only way to get ubers will be to buy them on the auction house. Guess what? Gold will become scarce as well and the days of having millions (or billions) of gold will be over long ago.

You can have plentiful drops or an AH but not both.

I think the trading system in S4 will be a very brief experiment…

1 Like