The Diablo 2 Blueprint

Well, at least you tried. :man_shrugging:

feels like a game made by a bunch of software devs straight out of college

no actual dev xp

Please, explain to me exactly how you believe this game even REMOTELY “tried to be D2.” I will wait. ROFL

1 Like

And, according to your state of shock that made you reply without reasons against, succeeded.

2 Likes

There is no reply. You quoted some hive mind opinion. Thanks for trying, bub.

I agree D2 is a masterpiece but giving the new iteration of a beloved series a good chance and criticize D4 fairly should be the baseline for players. To make the game better. I like yours points generally here is my reply:

1. Some form of lobby is surely missing or at least lfp features there are a lot of MMO like features which I like but the social aspect is lacking. Bring leaderboards back please.
  2. Playing around lvl 40 right now itemisation and drops still seem okay to me. Weapons and armor have interesting stats given how DMG scales it might get boring after a while though (need vulnerable and crit) jewelry feels bleak right now. However I do like the idea with aspects.
  3. There is trading and the system is safer (thus fairer ) than D2 because you have to lock in your stuff first. Makes scamming much harder which is good. Maybe restricted trading will also do some good to the game.
  4. Bosses on wt2 feel fine right now. Some of them are really well designed and need some strategizing to take on. Some are too easy some too hard. D2 had quite simple boss design imo. They were hard the first few times then the fight itself became meaningless.
  5. Too high numbers are indeed ridiculous.
  6. This seems to be the biggest issue right now and should be addressed. Lvl 10 to 40 makes no difference in how the game feels. Not good.
  7. I don’t find that sinking 20 Points into your main skills was the best system ever. After a while I just wanted to skip that. Five could be just fine especially when you get the boards later. This could be in line with keeping those numbers low. Progress fast in early to mid game than have a long plateau. As you already mentioned that this collides with the scaling model. Even if you could sink 30 points into your skills you would still feel not stronger if everything levels with you all the time.
    Also wrote this during lunch brake.
1 Like

2nd time replying and failing to give reasons. Still didn’t recover from the shock, right?

Tired of D2 widows complaining and complaining.
AS if there isn’t the perfect game for you, it’s called Diablo 2. Just go play it.

1 Like

You can ignore our posts same way you ask us to ignore D4. Or does it just work one-way?

Besides the atmosphere, there is nothing that is remotely close to D2.

5 Likes

Hive mind throwing wild claims that can’t be backed with reasons.

Lets paste it again:

We do not need another D2. Period. It is dated and no longer holds up. Hell Titan Quest replaced it long ago as well as Torchlight 2.

1 Like

100% agreed with your list!

What is the “spirit of Diablo 2”, without mentioning any specific mechanic?

I mean if you boil away the nitty gritty and look at the game as a whole I see D4 as continuation of the Diablo DNA.

I’d really love for you to try to tell me what makes a game like D2 without mentioning potions belts, rune words, or any one specific D2 mechanic. Runewords weren’t even in D2 prior to LOD for instance and most casuals never even interacted with them.

Many of you are talking about the bad itemization of d4, essentially the same as d3.

However, it seems to me that many of you overlook the fact that it is impossible to build a good itemization on combat mechanics of D3, no matter how hard you try. Why?

I liked D3 vanilla itemization much much more than ROS one, or absolutely terrible D4. And D3 vanilla was built on D2 itemization with some tweaks. It was good - they just had to rebalance actual drops, not stats/affixes. But they casualized everything,

“Make X without making X”:

Bro, the game has at least 150hrs to reach lvl 100 what do you mean it lacks content? Relative to what? Games that have been out for years?

The content expectations for some people are literally the work of other dimensional beings who think that games should launch with 10 years worth of content.

I’m feel like you’re making my point for me. To 99+% of players, Diablo is not “potion belts”. It’s a dark atmosphere, killing demons, fast-paced action combat with an isometric style, and getting phat loots.

You can’t say D4 doesn’t follow the D2 formula in these ways.

Can’t see how remarking that you’ve asked me to do something and also to not do the same thing has made any point for you.

99+% of statistics are invented. Including this one of mine.

It’s just sad that they own possibly the best item system in the world, and they try their best to run away from it, rather than expand on it. Diablo 3 and 4 items are awful attempts at items.

If you think it’s good in any way, just remember that the most common items in the game are called “Rare” items. It’s just dumb. This stuff does not exist in D2, it actually makes sense.

2 Likes