Tank Class Fantasy absence

Oh absolutely, I doubt a Valkyrie will fit as a name with the current lore and place Diablo is, it is semantics. Protector and Warden sounds really good. Would love to see a big boy Warden with the tower shield and mace hanging, some sort of big beefy bulwark walking around.

2 Likes

oh i absolutely adore Warden too as a name :open_mouth:

also its a “new” class while it tries to inherit some stuff we like from previous titles. Pretty much like the rogue

1 Like

except for the fact that the strongest builds in the game are effectively invincible defensive classes?

“tanking” doesn’t mean much besides cosmetics. having a shield and absorbing damage to then say power your attack is a theme, yes. the problem with those classes traditionally is that they are more powerful when multiple enemies are powering their battery and less powerful when it is fewer / single target / bosses.

It is a hybrid tax problem. If the tank class is unkillable or even less killable while putting out the same damage as squishier classes OR if they’re not, or clear slower as a result, the risk v reward is out of balance.

And so what would the acceptable amount of reduced clear time be to balance their durability?

Is a tank class only really valuable in group play? Does the tank class effectively become a zero-dps? Does a tank class get limited in endgame content dramatically with horrid clear times but 0 risk of dying?

Otherwise, it’s just cosmetics/themes and they’re no different than any other melee.

I’d be interested to see how they’d solve adding a crusader/paladin into the mix here. I don’t know if people would trade levelling/grinding speed for class fantasy

(looks at his tank-build barbarian and smiles)

I did. And it works very nicely.

1 Like

The whole game has absence of fantasy and soul :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I think there should be a brand new hero each season. You could do alternate heroes as well. I made a post how it could work.

Hero Variants = By the Power of Greyskull here are Powerful Hero Variants! đź’€

Crusader is the most likey choice.

I know everyone wants Paladin, but lore wise, Paladins (and Crusaders) are powered by the heavens. Right now, the heavens aren’t helping out humanity. If Blizzard switches up the story to bring back holy guys, they would be moving away from the dark gritty no hope vibe they’re going for.

That being said, my guess would be Blood Knight, or whatever just released on Diablo Immortal.

A class that is totally a Paladin but not called a Paladin. I can almost guarantee you the Class is fully designed and intentionally withheld from initial launch. Based on performance metrics, they will time the announcement and release.

2 Likes

Does it though? A tank build for barbarian just feels like a spec you can make happen for the sake of making it happen, not because its efficient.

1 Like

Yeah…a “Tank” build for Barbarian basically consists of taking the 3 Shouts, Iron Skin, Flay or Frenzy, and a Core Skill of your choosing. You take all of the Defensive Aspects pretty much everyone else takes regardless of spec, take the same Defensive Paragon for pushing NMD, and same Affixes as almost every other Barbarian. Even then, you get pretty hosed in NMD 100.

In D2 you can make a very tank barb too and that doesn’t change the fun of being a paladin at all. According to your logic, there does not need to exist necromancer because there is already sorceress that is caster… And i dont know why im losing my time with a guy that role-play their action in third person on a forum

Well, to answer the last part, you responded because you decided to try and come up with a poorly designed response to my post.

Why is is your post poor? Simple. I was only noting that it was possible to make a tank barbarian that can actually work. And mine has so far. Plus, I am enjoying it quite a bit, which to me is the single most important factor. As for your example, it is completely and totally irrelevant and quite literally the result of you just trying to come up with a response, even if it would be a bad one.

Don’t fight boys, the topic is about a Shield-bearer class.

Barbarian is not that class obviously. You can build it however you want, but it can’t have a shield. Either that, or I missed a lot while playing barb.

Efficiency comes in many ways. Does not matter how great the damage you put out is if you are getting one-shotted by something outside your damage range.

I agree, was only pointing out that you could make a tank-style build. I would wager that if someone really wanted to play around a bit, they could come up with a “tank” build for the necromancer, as it is the only shield bearing class at this point in the game.

Everyone can tank including Barb, Druid, Necro have almost immune builds, Sorc can get pretty tanky, Rogue can be close to invincible. That’s not the point.

I’m not sure the game is designed to have a tank fantasy class. Do all classes currently take the same damage if you exclude skills/passives/boards?

Does a shield actually provide a quantifiable mitigation increase or is it just another offensive stat stick?

In D3 they gave melee inherent damage mitigation passive stats, which was interesting.

necro tnk all the way!!

Well, it was possible to make a very tanky barbarian or druid early on. Then all of the key defensive aspects that made it worked got hard nerfed pre season one, in what may go down as one of the most catastrophic mistakes in gaming history.

That being said, would be great to see a new paladin or shield bearer style class.

1 Like

Typed a lot and said nothing, you came to talk about barbarian in a post about paladins and crusaders, stop trying to show up and say something useful, nobody is interested if you have fun with your barbarian or not