Respec cost will lose players

Mark my words. They won’t leave feedback either. They’ll hit max, want to try a new legendary or realize they have a bad build, and go broke respeccing. Then they’ll just quit.

It’s an arbitrary barrier and absolutely terrible for the community to have costs so high that “some players will opt to reroll” instead of paying them.

The solution is simple… When a character respecs for cheap, a timer starts where the price increases dramatically - and when no respecs ocur during that timer, the price resets to cheap again (This could be a day or two days or whatever). This solves the majority’s problem with being able to cheaply experiment with builds/legos - and solves the dev’s concern of not allowing people to respec multiple times per day.

How can a topic of such great concern garner so much valuable and obvious feedback from your player base, but you maintain radio silence? Did this decision come from so high up that it’s irreversible and completely non-negotiable? Let’s get some communication on this, please. It’s obvious what the players want.

218 Likes

I think due to the nature of legendaries determining what build is viable for you, this is probably true.

It would be different if all the normal legendary powers could be learned in the codex so you could at least have a weak version to start with; but as it stood in the beta many were not.

42 Likes

I agree. Awful mechanic to have respeccing just increase every time you do it in a game where gear drops might make you want to change your build. Sometimes you get unlucky with specific ability bonuses in gear and it makes sense to use different abilities. Especially while leveling but I can see it happening at end game while gearing as well. Shouldn’t be penalized for a system of RNG that is intrinsic to the game design. If they want a nominal gold sink for respeccing I don’t mind as long as it doesn’t end up the huge numbers they have talked about where rerolling is a better option. It already is going to cost a fortune to upgrade gear.

43 Likes

What respec cost are you seeing?

When I looked at one point it said it was only 1g per point.

2 Likes

good riddance :stuck_out_tongue:

i really dont want free respecs or ill be respeccing way too much at every activity.

rather have it just expensive enough to the point where i want to find a good all-around build for most content.

43 Likes

The cost increases with your level. By level 25 it was a few grand to respec. Which still isn’t much, but presumably keep increasing exponentially with level.

All we are really going off of is the devs themselves saying that the cost will become so prohibitive that it will be easier for many to just make a new character.

2 Likes

Fair enough.

That said, how often are people planning on respec-ing while leveling?

If I can, I’m not even going to worry about legendary affixes and their impact on my build until at least level 50 where you can kick it up to WT3 or 4. By that point, you may have most of the skill tree unlocked anyways.

2 Likes

Im not sure what you mean by this. What if you are level 50 and well into the paragon board and then you get a legendary drop that sounds really awesome and you’d love to try it, but you didn’t build your skill tree for it? Do you just shrug and say oh well, do you respec for an absurd amount of gold (maybe more than you even have), or do you just start all over with a new a character to try it?

7 Likes

“I havent seen it, experienced it, and dont even know it will be a thing,it will lose players”

Yeah well, an extinction level meteor could hit the earth tomorrow too.

Both are entirely irrelevant.

Keep freaking out about something that as it stands, isnt a thing, and wasnt a problem at all in the oct/nov closed beta.

“I personally dont like this” does not translate to a game ruining playerbase destroying thing. All you people that dont like something and project it to being the ennnnnnd of the world are funny, and shows how inflated your feeling of self importance and entitlement is.

29 Likes

I agree here too. One of the most appealing aspects of Diablo has been the ability to try out so many different specs. Putting a gold requirement on it will kill that feature. Dont do it.

21 Likes

The devs literally said this - it is exactly what they said.

They need to either clear it up - or rethink it before it’s too late.

I want the game to be successful, personally. I plan on playing it for a while.

9 Likes

It depends on the perceived improvement. You can’t just look at the gear score value and go, “heck yeah it’s an upgrade”.

What is unclear? I’m saying that why are we worried about skill tree allocation when you’ll likely have the tree unlocked by the time you hit max level. I assume it’s somewhere between 50 and 90. The 90 is based on the max tier potion. The skill tree is not that intricate. It’s 4 skills per node and some passives (starting at node 2).

I scrapped plenty of legendary items during this beta that had a higher GS than my currently equipped rares, but objectively I thought they were worse. In that case, I have the option to extract and imprint.

I have also worn legendary items that offered boosts to skills I didn’t have. Didn’t matter to me as it was still better than what I had on.

1 Like

Respec hardly costs any gold, once you get to higher levels you will have tons of gold, this is a non-issue.

16 Likes

This.

Very much this.

5 Likes

I still don’t know what this means.

You understand that we don’t fill out the entire tree right? That we have to pick and choose a very limited amount of the available skills and passives?

What’s the max level? What’s the max number of skill points?

Give me some numbers or stop arguing.

You keep saying “we can’t do X”, but then never indicate what can and can’t be done. Unless you have information somewhere that says, players only get 50 skill tree points then it’ll be what it’ll be. That said, you don’t have to redo the whole dang tree. Just one skill on one node.

Will be hard to tell.

I dont want a classic wow style respec system, as a few years down the line and it might brick a character.

While i like gold matters, i only care about it mattering for power and not respecs.

I see no value to any attached gold cost to respeccing. Im not sure its a big deal, and might not be if its capped at a reasonable amount.

You stop getting skill points after 50, aside from getting some from renown unlocks. You do not unlock anywhere near the entire tree.

This is hilarious for you to say when you clearly have no idea how the skill tree works.

4 Likes

As I mentioned in my edited reply:

I also wasn’t privy to the closed endgame beta nor does Blizz mention anything about game mechanics.

On the contrary, respec cost will retain players thanks to a more engaging game that doesnt require them to respec for everything and have gear for multiple builds!

Blizzard says lots of things that are not true.

9 Likes