PTR forced me to quit S4

When you decide to participate in PTR you need to realize you are going to open “next doors”. It is absolutelly OK you don’t want to make step back to S4. You should decide to take this “risk” BEFORE you particiape in PTR

S5 ptr is a disaster, people have every right to be concerned for S5.

a PTR has bugs :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: that’s too much, who could have expected that!

it would be nice to give the developers a chance and not prejudge everything on the basis of the ptr :crazy_face: :-1:

The PTR was an embodiment of the new event they wanted everyone to test- a complete waste of time!

With everything else that’s in dire need of repair, S5’s patch notes are going to be very interesting… :popcorn:

If you took the time to check for replies two days after your post, then the only thing I can tell you is…

See you in season 5!!

Farscape, overwatch came out in 2016.

Necro was released in 2017.

ROS was release in 7/2014.

Timing would sugggest that the decision not to make an expac happened at least sometime in 2015.

I played the necro at blizzcon in 2016, it was a beta.

D:I came out in 2018.

RoS sales impacted that decision to stop and shift gears.

So you played Necro in beta in 2016, it released in 2017, yet are claiming the decision to scrap the expansion was 2015? Again, D3 sold 15+ million copies after RoS. Claiming the decision to stop working on the expansion due to its sales, as well as the timeline you just laid out, makes no sense.

As you probably know, game development takes years. D4 development started in 2014. Diablo: Immortal was announced in 2018. It released in 2022.

The state of necro in blizzcon 2016, would have required repackaging, marketting, and a bunch of decisions to monetize it by 2017.

Blizzcon had to have a playable beta that year so a decision to bring to into the diablo space had to have occured at least 6 months before that.

And it would be another 6 months of getting a new game ready to market, box art, marketting, etc.

So you’re looking at 2015 decision.

Wiki

Sales

*Reaper of Souls* sold 2.7 million copies in its first week on sale.  By August 2014, *Diablo III* and *Reaper of Souls* had combined sales of 20 million copies.As of June 30, 2015, *Diablo III* and *Reaper of Souls* had combined sales of 30 million copies.

Polygon

PC juggernaut *[Diablo 3](https://www.polygon.com/game/diablo-3/2579)* has sold over 20 million copies since its 2012 launch, according to a press release expounded upon in Activision Blizzard's second quarter earnings call today. That number includes expansion and digital sales, and is accurate as of June 30, 2014.

The figure makes it the No. 1 PC game (in terms of dollars) in North America and Europe.

By nov 2014, they were at at least 15 million copies.

Gamespot

# Diablo III sales rise to 14 million

Blizzard confirms dungeon-crawler reaches new sales milestone after Xbox 360 and PS3 launch.

So without knowing how many ROS sales were combined sales of D3 at the same time, the conversion rate of original players adopting ROS might have been too low for them to greenlight a second expansion. As the number of people buying the second expac would of course be a magnitude lower.

Ptr is for testing. Normally the condition of the test build is better. This is what testing is. It’s not meant to create hype or to entertain you.

1 Like

Blizzcon 2016 was November. Necro released June 2017. That’s 8 months.

Anyway, I finally decided to google and settle this:

“Prior to the release of Diablo III’s first expansion, Reaper of Souls, development on its second expansion, which was in the early stages of development, was cancelled as Blizzard aimed to shift development to a sequel instead of a second expansion.”

We were both wrong. It was scrapped to shift to D4 before RoS even released.

PS - Dug a little further. They were originally going to announce it 2015.

Won’t be long before we have another campfire like this.
Time stamp 35:35

Farscape, read what I added.

Why did they shift to a sequel so quickly? Why did they even announce D5 already?

Occam’s razor my friend. Not worth monetizing…because there wasn’t the playership.

15 million D3 copies, 5 million ros copies. 3:1 ratio.

And it takes that long to process and market a piece at where it was at blizzcon.

So if it took 8 months to make, from there, it took at least 8 months to make the decision not to expac - so again 2015.

You claimed the cancellation of the second expansion was due to RoS sales. The decision to scrap it came before RoS was released. I just Googled it. That means they didn’t think RoS was going to sell the way it did, not that RoS sold poorly so it was scrapped.

I’m guessing the RoS sales doesn’t include console sales and the bundles on consoles. 5 million copies for an expansion is pretty good…

Oh so the original D3 playership hemorrhage was so severe they canned it before ROS, even worse, but makes my point even more valid.

You don’t want to lose players.

This overly dramatic type of look at me, attention seeking post with the big I’m leaving announcement is the reason people respond the way they do. Tons of drama and hyperbole with zero specifics as to what the OP dislikes. This type of drivel will never be recieved well.

2 Likes

Yeah, so you were more right than I was, but we were both ultimately wrong. Blizzard had no faith in continuing D3, didn’t think it would sell, before RoS even hit the market. Obviously, underestimated the effect consoles would have.

1 Like

Yup Kotaku said it was decided right before ROS release to scrap the second. So stuff that was released in 2015 was cannabalized content already.

1 Like

Many of the people who jump on the PTRs do it just to play with the new toy.
If they see something they personally do not like they cry about it on the forum.

Overly dramatic?

Maybe the expression might be.
But that doesnt change PTR was not playable, or testable, or functionable. Clusterf at best.

PTR has its own purpose to test and provide feedback.
But what if literally every aspect of the PTR was broken?
Balance, itemization, new contents, class mechanics?
Everything was broken?

Do you think devs are capable of fixing all of these?
Nope they even let double dips on S4 live. No frigging way they will fix all of these bugs.
I even saw triple dips on rogue passive lmao.

Take a good look on PTR and your morale will be dead in first one hour. Glad I didnt bough the VoH. Reading the forums is actually more fun than playing the game itself :slight_smile:

Then you should get a life and find better hobbies

1 Like