Pls remove Monster scaling!

I agree in the level up sense. Once you scal up the difficulty to then make everything max…

They can scale them up by 5 levels every 5 levels as you progress in the story. So you have a chance to go back for easier monsters … though you would get lower level loot. But lets say you are level 15 and have a look at your gear that you have level 5 gear which is why you have issues with level 15 monsters… going back to kill level 10 monsters for level 10 gear could be still fine compared to what you have on.

And once you are max level everything can be scaled to max level… thats definately not an issue…

1 Like

Expressed like a true 7 year old.

Bravo!

responded by 8 years old bravo!

Adventurer is the easy mode and laughably easy at that for the most part. Veteran difficulty was really dependent on where you were in the game, but that is the solution in-place. If you didn’t feel you were getting more powerful by the time you were 25 with those skills on adventurer in act 1, that’s more of a you issue than a design issue.

Also with how zone rewards are built, it keeps content relevant and doesn’t make it feel like a pointless grind going back to an earlier zone to grab missed statues etc as you can still get near on-level upgrades at any time.

I was chatting with a co worker about the Black Lake boss recently. Just out curiosity they were only like 15 when completing the boss. I was 23 when i finally went up there to do the story quest. They described the boss doing insane amounts of damage. When i told them i was 23 they assumed i’d beat it easier since i was higher level. I said nope it scaled with me.

Had a side quest i missed and i went back and it was 1+ and going to the marker there was a level 5 completing it. I was level 24 at that point.

If you open the map and hover over areas it specifically gives your a “zone” level of monsters. Im sorry but at max level and slaying more ferocious demons etc etc and i go back to a act 1 zone and a skeleton is tough just like those ferocious demons just seems off to me.

1 Like

expressed by someone who is never wrong, but thanks for playing kiddo.

Bravo!

Monster scaling is fine.

Diablo 4 offeres multi tiered difficulties so that you can feel your character getting stronger via new difficulties/world tiers.

Change the world tier if you’re not being challenged.

Lower it if you want to dunk and ignore mechanics.

You have choices.

2 Likes

Excellent point. Also, monster scaling is necessary if endgame is going to involve the whole world – which it should. The game is not about the leveling process. It’s about the endgame. It’s just the way it is for live service games like this. So end game should take priority in design decisions. Keep scaling as is.

iirc when looking at the zones on the map give the level range of the scalling. For the most part, its 1-25 for the beta area we have access to, but it changes if you mouse over other regions/areas. Come back and do some questing or exploring once you’ve gone beyond the max level and wreck stuff with ease. With the sheer amout of world events, side quests, etc you can do it would be extremely easy to get overleveled and get boring without some scalling. I feel there’s a decent middle of the ground happening where yes, things get stronger as you do but there is a maximum that it can. It’s not that difficult to hit that point once it’s not beta, and we can go beyond 25.

Scaling can be enabled when end game starts… no?
And there can be partial scaling as I’ve explained… something that drags behind a few levels.

Leveling should be a big part of RPG games…

I don’t really see how, unless you completely separate a certain level of player base from the higher up levels on different server layers. Otherwise they’re going to run into each other and need to scale.

I mean matchmaking within zones based on level would be the way, though that could potentially make some areas feel incredibly empty at times

Yeah, not my experience. I felt leagues stronger at 25 with full legendaries than I did at level 5 half naked.

With better gear and paragon, I have no reason to believe that monsters will scale to a point where they are seriously threatening in the world. Maybe at the highest torment levels or world tiers, but certainly not while leveling in a first playthrough.

1 Like

Leveling process should be a big part of the game also, else why even have levels to begin with?
Scaling can be done differently, using the d3 model is pure garbage.

1 Like

Aren’t we already separated on different server layers? There are no hundreds or thousands of players around you… just dozens…

They could easily separate the max level players to their own.

Like the word boss… i went down there saw some 10 players… visited town and was thrown back with some other 5 players (wtf?)

There are already seamless instances of all the open world zones, that’s why there are not hundreds of people in them.

All they need to do is have each instance keyed to a level range, and each character that enters an instance enters a level appropriate one for them. Say L 1-5, 6-10, etc. This will at least HIDE the fact that level 5 characters might be killing monsters right next to you faster than your level 25 character.

It doesn’t help the people that want to “feel more powerful” by going back to an area and beating up lower level monsters, but it solves many of the problems while retaining all of the advantages of monsters scaling levels and keeping all of the zones in the world equally viable for all characters regardless of level. It would just do a great job of “hiding” the immersion breaking aspects.

These players will simply have to play at a lower world tier to get that feeling. Or else we could just use our imagination to imagine the monsters getting stronger as part of the story.

It’s such a simple fix though to get rid of the level 5 characters standing next to higher level characters and killing the same monsters faster.

If you really wanted to have the experience of going back to earlier areas and feeling powerful, the game could remember what level a zone was for you when you completed it. And then when you went back to that zone, say you cleared it at level 17, it would remain 17 FOR YOU until you reset the world tier. This would frustrate and annoy the real level 17 players trying to do things there as you steamroller at everything, though. IMO not worth it just to provide gratification.

Another idea would be when you “complete an area”, say by finding all of the altars of Lilith and completing all the dungeons inside it, that zone would just be empty of monsters (for you) until you reset the world tier.

For me, I don’t care about feeling more powerful by beating up lower level monsters. But I’d really like to avoid seeing lower level characters fighting right next to me killing the same monsters as me faster than my higher level character. :man_shrugging:

you understand that there’s so many ways to fix that issue instead of adding monster scalling? better ways and that doesn’t ruin your immersion by the way

adding monster level zones during the campaign for example and at difficulty 3 and above just increase all the monster level zones to be similar around the whole map? you will be high level anyway but at least during the campaign you will not feel this lack of power and progression, this is like one example of many, many possible solutions

1 Like

What lack of power and progression?

As you level you gain new points to spend to unlock new synergies and abilities which provide massive power spikes.

You gain more resources to gamble for stupid legendaries which then increase your damage even for many levels.

You already outscale the content, just not at a faster pace and you aren’t penalized for visiting dungeons in what normally would be a low level area or go to events in a low level area.

2 Likes

i gained 1 point in +1% to all resisst while standing still wow thats serious power boost