My friend just had his 3080ti fried by this friggin game

if u want to risk it like i said, don’t use DLSS, and vsync it! what ever frame limiter u got. if u are using asus board that have auto optimization and overrides your own settings, you’re fried lol.

Buying used cards is still safe. Just don’t get a used 30 series and get a card that still has a warranty sticker over the screw so you can verify it’s never been opened and physically modified.

Just don’t trust best buy bought a 250 dollars harddrive from them “NEW” and it had a 20gb USB in it.

The thing with Best Buy is it highly depends on which location and who manages it. Some locations are really good and well managed and other locations are poorly run and will mix up open box items with brand new.

if your tv breaks while watching breaking bad do you blame the show?

1 Like

If the PC gets fried, it is the hardware. Either defective card, poorly configure PC cooling system, or bad power supply. I have built PCs since the 90s and run tons of games on different configuration and never had a hardware failure that was caused by software (have had hardware fail for other reasons though).

1 Like

he said its the gpu that got fried not the pc, there was like 8 people already ive seen posted this here, and probably more in technical tab.

My wife’s boyfriend let me play this game for 5 minutes today because I watched him slam my wife in bed, I love him for it!

So maybe it’s fair to change the name of the thread to reflect this. And you might stop getting the same replies telling you the cards are faulty. People saying it’s because he ‘built the PC wrong’ are being douchebags. Building a PC isn’t brain surgery, it’s closer to Legos.

maybe you should tell your friend and everybody else that uses a PC to limit their frame rates

1 Like

This could even be related to some possible custom tuning of the GPU, as you stated “he isn’t an idiot when it comes to making a PC” if he over-tuned the GPU he is out of luck for warranty as well, if so, I wouldn’t mention any custom tuning to the GPU supplier.

1 Like

We are seeing enough of these reports specifically with 3080ti and 4090 gpu’s that I’m very concerned. I’ve been playing the game on a system using a 1080ti and have no intention of ever loading it on my 3080. Just too many reports of these gpu’s exploding while playing the game. Could be bad drivers by nvidia. Either way, spooky stuff.

Just a wild guess but did your friend go ‘eww fans make to much noise’ and download a fan controller to set the speeds to like 20%? Or perhaps dust blocked up the GPU and it couldn’t cool.

Its either one of those two things or the card was faulty: But the card should have safty means to protect against hitting TJMAX. Sounds more like a him problem then the game problem.

1 Like

blizzard did not fry your video card

2 Likes

Lemme guess, a Gigabyte one, right?

People dismissing this should go take a look at the tech support forums, including this thread: [Main Thread] Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023

The game has serious bugs including a problem many are having that drives temps up 10-20 degrees just when looking at certain UI elements or talking to certain vendors. It’s not like the games graphics are just of such amazing quality it’s pushing people’s systems to the limits, it’s major bugs that are needlessly stressing people’s hardware far beyond what the game should be doing.

Should a system be able to handle being pushed to its absolute limits and not fail? I suppose, but the game is clearly not optimized and has severe performance related bugs, including ones driving people’s GPUs to the limits at times when they shouldn’t be IE: just standing in town vendoring stuff.

If not for these bugs and issues you really can’t say that those people’s hardware failures would have happened. Maybe they would have gone a year or multiple years before the hardware was pushed to failure.

1 Like

Diablo 4 caused my hardware to fail.

Whenever I build a PC, I install and run the latest version of 3D MARK with the highest settings my hardware is spec’d for on loop for 48 hours to make sure nothing “breaks”. I know there are system integrators, or novice system builders who cut corners. Also, Video cards are mass-produced and a certain percentage of them are defective in every batch.

2 Likes

I mean, it’s ok if you dont know a Lot about pc parts, technology, programming and what not…not everybody knows everything… But it would be at least a Little More mature and Smart if you research a Little bit before posting something on a forum where a Lot of people are going to read about it … Now you just Made a fool of yourself saying a game fried a 3080 and that you are also not gonna play it because of it.

1 Like

Nope, not true. Doesn’t work like that sorry