Memory Leak Issue

I keep getting an error saying PC has run out of memory and the application needs to close, or sometimes just a random error where my game crashes. Sometimes it’s right when I’m loading in, others I’ve been playing for about an hour, it’s never the same each time but it keeps happening. I’ve tried about everything to fix, but it just seems like D4 is eating up all my memory usage, with it starting around 70% at launch, creeping all the way up to 90% before crashing.

I feel like I’ve seen this on the forums before so if there’s a solution please feel free to point me in the right direction, but I can’t seem to solve this and the game’s borderline unplayable. I have a newer PC, updated my drivers, scanned and repaired (multiple times), and 16gb of RAM so I don’t believe my system is the problem. Any fix to this?

16 Likes

That is correct, but its not a memory leak actually.

Its how Diablo IV is handling dealing with texture and game assets, loading them into VRAM and then moving them around as needed while you play.

Eventually it loads enough into VRAM and RAM that it can affect some systems. I say some, because not everyone is having the crashing, or getting out of memory errors, but so far every system I have seen and worked on directly will fill up their memory while playing.

But its not a leak. I spent 2 days testing this. If you load a fresh game and monitor the VRAM for the GPU, pop into the game and then just let it sit there. Other than the few interactions as players walk by, the memory will not increase. However, as soon as you move around the world into various areas, towns, vendors, etc, the memory will go up, till the VRAM is maxed, then the game will start shuffling assets in and out. And this is where it starts to act up for some of you.

But despite every system I have looked into doing this, not every system has issues. So while we all agree there is a management of VRAM use issue, I can say it isn’t a leak from what I have tested and observed.

End result is the same. We are having an issue here and D4 needs an adjustment.

15 Likes

Yeah im still having this issue as well. I monitored RAM and VRAM usage while trying to play this evening. Slowly creeps up as I transition through zones and content. Until it finally caps out both and crashes to desktop with the OOM error. I made a post myself with a blue asking to issue a support ticket with info. Did that a couple days ago, but have not received a reply yet. There are others having this issue as well.

I appreciate the clarity here, I’m not super tech savvy so this explanation helped me understand better. Hopefully the maintenance coming later tonight helps with this.

Just posting a reply in case Blizzard needs to see there is more people affected by this issue. I’m one of them.

2 Likes

just posting to say I have the same, there’s a lot of post about it but I like to +1 to them as I want Blizzard to fix it sooner than later!!

While technically not a memory leak it can be colloquially be called one. I too was having this issue until I turned my textures down to medium and ramped up my GPU fans manually, but these sorts of things should work out of the box and shouldn’t require tech savvy people to fix stuff themselves.

For me the worst thing is Blizzard has yet to even admit there’s a problem(unless I’ve missed something). trying to search for a post from them about official suggestions or just ‘we are aware and investigating’ and there is nothing. seems like the only thing blizzard wants to admit are things they already consider resolved. I’ve lost quite a bit of faith in blizzard as of late.

2 Likes

Ye, no matter what I do. My pc is high end and should handle this game like a cakewalk. But the longer I play the more unsteady it goes. stuttering , microstuttering, frame dropping by over half just to return a sec later back to where it was. Even while standing still, even in the option menu u see the massive fps dips. Lowering graphics fixed it, but for just a while. Like it seem to flush memory by going from ultra to high/medium. But for how long. Even on low graphics eventually this issue starts happening. Restarting the game every few hours is the only fix. Blizz is super silent about all the fps issue’s and complaints. Makes me kinda angry :slight_smile: Todays hotfix of " Stability fixes" fixed nothing for me.

Also wondering what kind of fixes they were to stability in the first place. Such low effort post from our lead community whatever title. Shame, cuz I kinda like the guy untill the total silence and low effort monitoring of these forums, especially on a game that seems rather populair and new. You’d say they be more on top of communication. But once again like the past 10 years blizzard fails at this. They never learn or delibaretly keep things silent to pretend they did not know and be blind.

3 Likes

What makes all this worse, is the fact that despite every system that I have looked into here, and from what others describe, all of us are actually getting hit with the same usage level.

But most systems appear to deal with it ok, but that doesn’t matter to the ones like you that are getting the worst end of it.

And I know its frustrating. But from a trouble shooting standpoint it is too.

Same here. VRAM maxed out in about 30 minutes, even on lowest preset. And then stuttering begins, up to crashes with “out of memory” error.
I’ve seen several topic on this issue but blizzard has done nothing, apparently.

2 Likes

Ditto, having the same issue with Out of Memory
Can NOT even play ATM, as soon as I get to the character select I get the “Out of Memory Error”
Telling me that I need to set the graphics to default, But I can Not even get to the Menu to even change anything

Give this experiment a try and let me know:

I have mine set to 3072 and Max at 8192
But I have a 3060ti and 16g of VRAM
So, I dunno

Well, if you are having issues, you can try to increase it as I suggested and see if anything changes. But its up to you. You can always change it back, and this shouldn’t hurt your system in anyway.

Its just changing the allocation of drive space for a swap file.

Got a New Error
WerFault.exe - Application Error 0xc000012d

I Even got a Corrupted Data error too, Even thou I just Reinstalled it less then an hour ago :frowning_face:

Ok, that’s interesting. Try a scan and repair of your files.

Maybe you are having memory errors someplace.

Scanned and was informed that NO files needed Repair
BUT, I was able to get in now to lower the settings
So, ATM it does work . . . . :crossed_fingers:

I have been getting hard game crashes consistently since launch, it used to be after 10 mins or so of play, with one of the recent patches a couple of days ago that has extended to 1-2 hours of play. After the first crash each night the game will begin crashing much more quickly (5 - 30 minutes) each time I try to reload the game. Restarting the system does not seem to help, it needs to be shut down for a while to reset the process. A guy on reddit said that disabling xmp on his ram seemed to help, i tried that tonight and saw some improvement. I also ran D4 with task manager open, memory is stable for an hour or two then gets steadily eaten up by D4. If i change the graphics settings to minimum it frees up some (but not all) of the memory eaten by D4, then I can turn settings back up for a while before turning them back down to free more memory. After running the suggested experiment and increasing page file to 16 gigs I can tell you that it definitely slows down the memory consumption but something else strange happened. After about 6 hours of play my CPU usage spiked to 100% and crashed the whole system. I’m not sure if the CPU has been overloaded in previous crashes but it’s always been my graphics card that crashed, never the whole system, and it’s always recovered automatically without a restart. I usually have to manually close adrenaline software and associated AMD programs after a crash and restart them but not the whole system. I figured that might be worth noting.

8gb of VRAM (on 3060ti’s)

Testing the above. Will report back.

Worked fine for me for the first 6 days or so. Managed to get to level 50 completely fine and complete the main story line. Then randomly started chunking as soon as the game loaded, completely unplayable with lag and 95%+ memory usage, even the start up menu is extremely laggy. Was playing on high graphics as well.

So yeah…it’s been completely unplayable for the past 5 days or so and I have no idea what’s causing it. I have updated drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled, can’t play on even the lowest setting. Extremely frustrating and there’s not been anything I can find that works to trouble shoot it.

2 Likes