VRAM leak over time?

Oh, well then that shut down where I was going.

You see, I was starting to think about when dealing with cards that have more than 8, and you pass the 8 on the card, it starts to act up. But we both have 8, mine works fine, yours starts stuttering.

With the shared memory, I’m pushing about double that. At max after several hours of playing, my system memory use tops out at 17GB and about 7.5GB on the card. But that includes everything running on the system.

And people like me with 32 and even some with 64 have been having issues, so having 16 isn’t a problem really either, outside of it being the minimum I would recommend for this game.

Wish I could post screenshots here. I don’t think we’re talking about the same shared RAM. It’s under the performance tab of task manager > GPU, at the bottom.

Also I’ve no doubt my system should be fine to the run the game as is, I’m looking for a work around until Blizzard pushes a fix through. Medium textures are gross to look at.

Same issue here with an RTX 3080 Ti (12GB of VRAM) and 64 GB of RAM.

I had to swap textures to High to avoid the pretty frequent stuttering.

I’m pretty sure Blizzard can fix this by deleting not recently accessed textures as it looks everything is well managed in the scene during a few minutes of playtime, but it keeps building up as you move through environments. So it’s a matter of time to have in cache more than you card can handle (unless there is a card that can have the whole game textures in cache). Another scenario is VRAM-RAM transitioning that should be improved.

Same Issue Here,

on Ultra and High i can play for about 30 - 90 Minutes and than suddenly i get locked at 5 - 15 FPS. Reloading Textures, so swapping from ultra down to high and than up to Ultra fixes it for approx. 30 Minutes but than it just occurs again.
Have to play on Medium to experience no stutters whatsoever.
Extremely High VRAM Usage

Ryzen 7600x
AsRock B650 PG Lightning
32 GB 6000 CL30
AMD 6800XT

Starting to believe, the only way to get them notice this is that everyone creates a new thread entitled VRAM ISSUE READ THIS or something similar.

Inside the body of the post, have links to the 2 threads that have over 1000’s replies 10’s thousands of views

That way having 3-5 pages of VRAM ISSUE READ THIS , they can’t deny they’ve missed it.

Whilst I don’t usually condone spam, this may be a last resort :face_with_raised_eyebrow: and of course there are separate unrelated issues for other users which I don’t want to get overlooked either but FFS on our last tether with this…

(this post was made in jest ofc, as I find it comical how Blizzard have blatantly ignored user feedback since closed BETA)

I want some of you to try an experiment, but only if you feel comfortable with it:

First off, check your swap file settings on your system. They should be set to the same drive as the OS or the fastest drive you have.

Then, I want you to increase the swap file, set it to the recommended size, or higher, but don’t go too high. But higher than it defaults to. I mean mine recommends about 5GB, and is auto set to 2GB. (Actually that’s kinda low to me in my mind, but its Windows 11)

Set it for now (as a test) to 16GB. (16384MB)

If you need instructions on how, well they are all over the internet.

Now. If this does nothing, or seems to make it worse, then we are going to go the other way and shrink it.

In those cases, try 2048MB, (2GB) which is what I currently have and mine works. I also have 32GB of memory and a 3070Ti with 8GB of VRAM.

This is not a good thing to do on SSD or NVMe drive really. These things have a limited amount of wipes / writes / w/e. Its not going to kill my drive right away or anything like that…but no thx.

I will listen to your results however. I think I see where your going with this.

Yeah, its not something I’m recommending as a permanent fix, but I’m trying to see if it even affects the issue. If so, its something to help us understand the problem.

As for drive wear, I have replaced drives due to upgrades before I have actually had one wear out. In fact, I’m not sure I have yet to see one that was wore out. But I have had them simply fail. lol

1 Like

A memory leak is when the system does not reclaim memory. It may or may not go up over time without input. If the system is not reclaiming memory it is by definition a memory leak.

4 Likes

I have 64gb ram, 1080ti and 5900x+ 3440x1440p - game installed on NVME SSD PCI4 - play hours with not issues, sometimes when going through new areas i get a few stutters but then its back to normal, vram usage is around 9 to 10.8gb (ultra textures, almost max settings + fsr quality - 90-130ps - avg 110)

My GPU is RTX 4090 and I can play the game for hours on max settings only if textures are set on High quality. I had encountered issues during the first day of playing before Blizzard had delivered all the patches around launch and had to reduce the textures from Ultra to High to make it playable, in which case the game consumes around 12-14 GB VRAM. I decided today to try the game with Ultra textures again. In 15 minutes the VRAM usage had reached 20 GB and I am sure that in another 15 minutes the game would have claimed all 24 GB on my GPU.
The gameplay is good but the level of optimization for high-end hardware is really ridiculous. I could hardly believe that there will be a game who could eat all the memory on a RTX 4090.

I tried changing the page file and here’s what happened.

When the page file is set to auto, what I have it set to by default, it’s at around 23.5 GB which is 1.5 times my total physical RAM. Seems excessive to me but OK.

When the size is set to 2024 MB, D4 won’t even launch. I get error messages that “D4 has run out of memory”.

When I increase the size to 2911 MB which is what my system lists as being “recommended” in the page file UI, the game will launch but then I can’t pass the login screen. The game will crash and I get a pop up labeled “Fenris”.

I tried using 4048 MB as well but got the Fenris error once more.

8096 got me to character select but then screen froze.

Leaving the page file on auto lets me back in no problem.

Well, that’s interesting. Thanks for testing it out.

don’t mess with pagefile unless you’re an advanced user, and even with 128GB RAM you need the pagefile for tasks, set it to like 1.5x your total RAM if doing it manually normally.

Having custom set mine for years, I often ran mine with no page file at all.

But I find that with Windows 10 and newer, it needs at least a small enough page file to prevent some issues with some apps and setups. So there’s that.

My system is set to auto, but its automatically using 2048. For years I have normally disabled it completely. Never had problems once.

In fact, I will put this to the test right now. Disabling, then will run the game.

At least we know people with the Fenris error might be able to play if they increase the page file size.

Doesn’t seem like there’s anything I can do on my end to use high textures without issue. :pensive:

So.

I went in and disabled the swap file completely. Rebooted. Went straight to bnet and started D4. Played for over 20 minutes, no problems at all.

I watched the VRAM and MEM while I was playing, maxed the VRAM out, and still no problems at all. It finally topped out with about 7500MB in VRAM and a bit over 14000 in RAM (but that includes everything running)

Went and checked, page file was still disabled.

So yeah. Works fine either way for me.

Obviously, that isn’t the actual issue, but something related. Figures.

I will leave it disabled for now, and continue testing it later this evening.

in my opinion, using amd, I notice a better performance with the SAM disabled

Not sure if it can help someone here.
but for me. after do this: VRAM leak over time? - #35 by Nightwolf-1868 - vram work better. but app still die(not sure if random thing or not). but if i change settings from full-screen window to window. app work perfect and run over 12 hour without die.

Just took a break from playing for 2 hours straight.

No issues, still have my swap file disabled. *shrug

More or less what I expected of it, but kinda hoped something goofy would happen when I turned it off.

Anyway. Swap file probably has no real effect, but it may worsen or better the issue, but you need to experiment I think.