Memory Leak Issue

Going to reply to this post to say I am having the same issue, I am a streamer and it either crashes my game or it crashes my stream.

I am also seeing the same issue on my computer. Hope to see Blizzard fix this.

I also thought it was a leak initially.
I was having terrible stutter until i capped the games fps to 3hz below my max 144hz and locked it with vsync and turned on nvidia reflex. I hope this helps someone.

1 Like

My game hasn’t hard crashed on me yet but I get entire PC stalls after playing for at least an hour (at random after that). High textures on my 8GB VRAM having 3070 Ti is apparently just not in the cards as this issue completely goes away when I put the game to medium. Or I guess it might still happen, just way later and by then I usually closed the game anyways so it never builds up in time I suppose.

This game is definitely experiencing issues. My game has crashed numerous times. Interestingly though many of those crashes are hardcore and take out my windows Explorer as well, sometimes even causing other apps to crash, like Firefox or Steam. It is hitting the memory in some weird way.
The crash I had last night was so hardcore it crashed me to the desktop, my left monitor was no longer detected, and my 2nd monitor was stuck in 60fps. Restarting the graphics driver didnt help. Force closing and restarting explorer.exe did not fix it. I had to do a hard restart. And D4 is the only game Ive had crash on me in these manners.

Im familiar enough around my PC to open and close apps without the monitors open. So when games used to crash the monitor I could usually manually close the game and restart explorer, etc. But whatever Diablo is doing, is killing explorer so hard I cant always restart it. And sadly a Window11 issue, it doesnt default to the Details tab so i can type app names to jump to them, so I cant recover from those handful where my monitor is frozen too.

I click sort gear. Game crashes. I fast travel somewhere. crashes. Click out of the game to excel so I can keep track of the pending Side quests since the game doesnt have anything of the sort. Crashes.

What do you mean? I keep track in the window on the right when the map is open. It has them all right there as you accept and work through them…? Clicking on one brings it to the foreground tracker to make it visible and you can even set a path to them…

Am I missing something?

As for your crashing, the way you describe it, it sounds like potential memory errors.

I know some people that run XMP profiles have been having issues, but I think its because of the memory/subsystem being twitchy on those profiles. Especially with AMD setups.

Might try disabling it, or running some memory tests to ensure there aren’t any memory issues.

Normal system operations might not even show a problem, till the system is stressed and a lot more memory is in use.

My RAM temps jump as much as 6-10C while playing D4, as an example, and the VRAM is stressed even higher than the GPU temps.

That is, by definition, a memory leak. If it’s gobbling up memory and not releasing it, which leads to a crash, that’s a memory leak. A memory leak isn’t just limited to the classic/original definition of deleting a pointer without freeing up what it’s pointing at.

1 Like

I’m not going to argue about it.

Doesn’t really matter anyway, its a problem. Leak or not, the game does not handle VRAM assets properly. *shrug

1 Like

Game has hard crashed on me twice now since launch (complete system reset: game freezes, PC unresponsive/can’t use second monitor, system reboots). I’ll monitor the RAM/VRAM to see if that is what’s causing it.

1 Like

At this point I am just tired and want to scream and cry at the same time.

I played Server Slam no problem. First two days of Early Access, no problem. I was able to stream in discord, browse the internet while playing. They pushed out a patch and I spent the next 1 an half days trying to fix the newly BSOD errors I was getting out of nowhere.
I was able finally make it playable, but I couldn’t stream in discord anymore without increased stutters and eventual crashing. I was still able to talk to friends so that was okay.

Since this weekend of the last update, I’ve just been at my wits end. I haven’t been able to play without a BSOD. I try to do World Boss? BSOD. I try to teleport out of dungeon? BSOD. Oh you idling in the city at the storage chest? Guess what, BSOD!
I’ve noticed my memory going up to 8GB. Before it would go up to 8GB - but then it would suddenly drop down to 3GB. I’d get some stutters at 8GB but once it dropped, it was fine.
I could no life and play for 12+ hours without issue.
Now it goes up, it doesn’t drop. Next thing I know I get “Critical_Process_Failed” or “Memory_Management” Errors.

Now? I cannot do anything without blue screening.
Computer Stats:
Intel i7 8700k
32GB RAM
GPU 1080 OC 8GB
I have ran repairs, scanned my registry files. Checked my page file - it’s 98GB.
Turned XMP profile back to Auto, cores are auto, have uninstalled, reinstalled, uninstalled, to reinstall again, different graphic driver updates.
I’ve changed in-game settings, they make no difference at all. I only have this game running, I do not have any other applications open anymore - I can’t because all of a sudden my PC locks up.
I’ve uninstalled the game, changed drives it’s installed on. Same issue. I don’t have high textures installed, I DID before the first patch and it ran just fine prior.

It wasn’t bad like this until this weekend. I haven’t added anything new. When I’m not playing Diablo, no problems at all.
I have been scanning the forums and looking online for any potential possibly of a “fix”.
CPU is normally 20%-30% with Diablo and GPU ranges from 1% - 40% itself, temps are 55. I check the Performance tab of Task Manager and it’s not eating all the VRAM before it BSOD, idk… idk but I feel defeated.

Im having the same issue. AMD RX 5700. Tried most of the solutions listed in other threads.

Tried to get hold of someone on live chat and/or phone.
In hopes to initiate a bit of traction with this (long shot I know)

But it’s not open for another few hours…

Live Chat
Unavailable
Open: 3:00 PM - 9:00 PM BST

Will try again later.

I gotta restart the game like every hour to keep it from stuttering. I play softcore so it’s not really an issue but if I were playing hardcore we’d have a problem.

i dont even know how people play hardcore ever with this mess… diablo 3 and onwards all had those perverted stutters, microfreezes, no matter what pc i played them on… funny though that immortal DID NOT… lmao…but D2R sure as hell did.

But Diablo 4 is a whole new league of TRASH. And the issue is completely IGNORED by Blizzard.

Doesnt help that this thread is hijacked by people who have ACTUAL CRASHES with error messages because their PC is garbage / overheating or otherwise corrupted.

The issue at hand here… it does NOT CRASH…it just FREEZES either for a few seconds, or up to multiple minutes while its godawful memory management does what it does, sometimes it will also cause the game to drop connection in the background adding another 90 seconds to the wait. And it does NOT MATTER if you use lower settings, lower setting will just postpone the inevitable fate of the game entering a degraded state in which changing video options alone will already freeze it for ages.

Hopefully this gets fixed. Restarting the game every 30 to 45 minutes so I don’t randomly lag out and die is a serious annoyance. Fix it and I’ll buy a skin, surely this gets the ball rolling.

1 Like

Please Blizzard, take this issue seriously. Too many people are having this issue. I spent a lot of money upgrading my RAM and it appears that it doesn’t matter as D4 will just use MORE when it gets the chance.

If this doesn’t get fixed, I’m can imagine that for many users this could be the last Blizzard game they buy.

Diablo 4 is a fantastic game, but if it doesn’t run properly, all that potential is wasted! <3

I too am being affected by this. I have a 3070 which has 8GB of vram and while monitoring I too noticed the vram slowly reaching its max. On high settings I continuously get stutters and there’s been a few times where the game froze with no error and had to cold shut down. I turned just the texture down to medium and the stutter still happens but not as heavy as on high but the vram still continues to slowly creep to max so when that happens I just switch the texture settings to reset the vram but it is definitely annoying and something that blizzard needs to look into. I’m surprised it wasn’t brought up during that community discussion they had few days ago

7900xt here. I tried everything even at low textures settings when i start the the game its using 4gb vram and slowly going up After 1 or 2 hours im at 18 19 GB use (in low settings thats ridiculous) and the game start to stutter a lot. I switch my texture settings to medium and back to 5gb vram used slowly going UP… its been weeks now please do something about this Blizzard

I just got done rebuilding an AMD Ryzen 5 3400G system that some kid had built and sold that had issues. (had a lot of issues)
32GB of DDR4
Samsung 512GB NVME
Gigabyte motherboard
Cooler Master 850W PSU
Asus 2070

Anyway, after tearing it down, fixing the standoff problems, (the motherboard was literally warped) correcting the heatsink mounting, upgraded the PSU to an 850W (was 500W), installed the Asus 2070, (it had no dedicated GPU) I’m right now downloading the high res packs.

I’m going to do several play tests:

This is Windows 11, so to start with, I let it install the default Nvidia driver that Windows Update puts in. Not going to update it yet.
Not going to change any nvidia settings.
Running 2 monitors for now. Will swap to 4K too later on.
Going to monitor temps on one screen with just HWMonitor for now.
Going to run the game at max settings, right off the bat. See if I can get it to act up.

Who knows, I might pop a 2070 later tonight. lol

Then from there if it doesn’t die, will swap to the 4K and try that at max settings.

If its unplayable, I will start backing some things down.

If I can reproduce some of the issues many of you are seeing, then I will look into those. Since my main box doesn’t seem to have issues, I’m trying to create some. *shrug

I want to get to the bottom of this. Will update later or in the morning.

Well, first test was surprising.

Right out of the box, the game didn’t like my GPU driver version. (it was older than the minimum)
I then put in the bypassgpucheck command. Ran it with that older driver anyway.

Loaded up, got in game, played till the VRAM maxed out. Honestly, played fairly well, only a little FPS drop here and there (it was defaulted to high settings at first and running 60FPS)

Since it was playable and not really acting up, I cranked the graphics to Ultra.
Continued playing for a while more. More noticeable stagger, but still playable. It was choking a bit on the Ultra settings. BUT.
No crashes, no real issues other than I could tell it was struggling to run the game with those settings.

I kept jumping from town to town, talking to vendors and just leaving the windows open for several minutes, then go fight monsters, teleport back to town, go into a dungeon, leave, teleport, whatever.

Nothing. No crashes, no errors, just not as smooth due to the lower end hardware and ultra settings.

Heat wise, GPU topped out at about 175F on the HotSpot. I suspect the VRAM may have gotten to 180F.
VRAM Memory at peak was 99.9% utilized.
System RAM hit a peak of over 15GB for game and system.
CPU temp hit a high of about 160F.
And other than some latency spikes thanks to my Starlink and the trees giving me trouble occasionally, the latency stayed below 100ms most of the time. No disconnects or other issues. I think it only rubberbanded once, but I know what caused it.

So…

I’m literally wanting to pound my head on the desk.

I guess next I will start updating the video driver incrementally. Will try the 4K monitor. But bed is calling.

More tomorrow. Ugh. Game on.

*Turns into Tiny Tia™ and pogos up and down on DTMAce’s head until he switches to Celsius for easier comparisons*

The Empire is dead. Long live Metricopolis. :stuck_out_tongue: