Looks like the Devs learned nothing from Diablo 3's failure

Actually, I’d say that honor goes to Titan Quest, and then Grim Dawn was TQs spiritual successor.

Perfect example of why people like yourself spout all these inaccuracies thinking they are true. You’re a Flat Earth’r type. Things you believe are true, are absolutely false and it’s why you don’t understand why things are they way they are. Your perception and understanding is so far off base.

Both were great games. GD2 when?

1 Like

I have never seen someone so confident when comparing apples to oranges while also using made up numbers. At least you are entertaining!

Story time!

So I was around when D2 LOD was current content. Back in the 1.09 days when ITHs were a thing, bugged Valor’s were a thing, dupes abound (you had to be REALLY careful trading for SoJ’s, if more than 3 or 4 shared the same picture it was hella sus), trade hacks, drop hacks, and of course, map hacks. Botting wasn’t really around until later, post rust-storm patch where things started to actually have value again because most of the bugged items went poof and they introduced Uber Diablo as a way of sinking all of those duped SoJ’s from the economy.

In that era, Mousepad was the premier maphack maker. His (possibly her?) version was alleged to have some nifty features, one of which was a player inspect option (where it even supposedly detected ITH weapons and labelled them “stupid Ith” – kind of a “hold my beer” response to when Blizz once went on record saying it would be difficult, if not impossible, to detect them). The other was an item filter. I guess you edited a config file and told it “don’t show me items below X ilvl” and other stuff like that. Was probably even more in-depth than that, I’m just going off the pictures that were posted on Mousepad’s website.

Then you have PoE, which everyone heralds as “what D3 should have been” and it fully embraced the loot filter, though it by no means forces you to use one. It’s still highly recommended though. Most people actually had several filter profiles, depending on if they were on main progression, target farming, target activity, etc.

And then of course we have D2R, which embraces mod support (provided you don’t go online with them). There are item filters and other such mods that have been made for D2R, and I have tried some of them, and trust me bro - I would NEVER consider going back. Just hiding bolts and arrows alone, to say nothing of grays or identify scrolls or keys, the random potions nobody uses, even gold can be annoying if it’s not within a certain quantity.

It really is a huge QoL. I rank it right up there with shared stash, it’s that game changing.

95% of D3 “sales” actually game about because it was given away free to people who preordered the wow expansion.

3 Likes

This. I was actually blown away by how good that game was. It was unexpected.

Yeah item filters are huge, especially for POE. Anyone saying they’re bad is just a clueless dope who wants to find a way they can feel superior without actually playing well.

1 Like

Yeah, I love diablo since launch of d2.

Blizzard just can’t do it anymore. D4 just as bad as d3 launch just in a different way. This game is really bad functionally.

Looks great though!!

3 Likes

It failed in the sense they couldn’t make any more money from it, because they lost their entire player base, so they moved on.

D2 was the highest selling video game of all time when it released. Adjust for their individual markets, D2 was much more successful. You’re also skewing the numbers by only showing what D2 sold during the first year.

It sold 5 million copies initially, but has certainly sold over 10 million total by now.

D4 barely released. D3 only sold 2.6 million at release, so D4 has already massively outperformed D3. D4 actually set a Blizzard record for the fastest selling game they ever released.

Blizzard has extremely sharp market analysts looking at all these things, and as you can see by the interview linked by another poster, Blizzard considered D3 a massive failure, rightfully so, realistically.

When you have sold 30 million copies of a game and only 2k people log on for 3 days at the beginning of each season, you’ve completely, utterly failed.

2 Likes

Short memories …

The problem with D3 when it came out was that you did not find good gear for your level without playing above your level (a real slog, so people went and smashed pots for gold instead) or without trading because the drop rates for and randomization of gear were balanced around the existence of the auction house and how it granted access to the drops of thousands of other players.

Before the rework, I was not wearing one piece of gear that I found myself, and the gear I bought was funded by buying npc vendor amulets from a higher difficulty and selling them on the auction house.

D4 has been nothing like that.

1 Like

Yeah imagine being a D4 dev and looking at dead D3 to take ideas from. Hmmm wouldn’t you think that the game is dead for a reason and not want to go anywhere near it?

3 Likes

Kind of this. If you adjust for how much the gaming market has grown in that time, D4 hasn’t touched it. And they really lost a lot of trust from how bad Diablo 3 was. It sounds like they haven’t learned anything. They won’t just use the lightning in a bottle they already have and instead have to add all this other nonsense to try and have better engagement metrics or whatever other BS they’re looking at instead of just fun factor.

1 Like

I played d3 until d4 launched. I might still go back and play it from time to time.

A lot of interesting comments here.
I’m a Diablo fan since d1. D2 is one of my favorite games of all time. Arpgs are my favorite genre.
I love d1-d3 for different reasons.
However, no, d4 isn’t successful because of d2. Most people playing d4 are too young and have never played d2 and definitely didn’t get d2r. I’d argue most younger players would hate d2.
Love it or hate it, D3 is a highly successful game. It’s one of the highest selling games of all time and it’s a part of a niche genre.
The people who hate d3 are a minority of gamers. Lots of games are released on pc and consoles. The financial success of d3 wasn’t simply because it was released on everything. Games aren’t successful if people don’t like them

1 Like

The person you responded to is just another example of somebody who wants tedium in the game. If he can’t see practical value in a feature, he doesn’t want it and will kick and scream about it.

Nothing is stopping him, if the feature is (should be) implemented, from scanning his items on his own. Literally has no impact on his experience.

1 Like

You aren’t wrong. I am having fun with this game, but I know that it won’t last much longer. There needs to be a lot more build-defining uniques to chase after, and I don’t mean ones that drop once a century. Blizzard needs content for the grinders asap.

D3 set the record for the lowest user review score in history when it released. The player base also dwindled so low, they stopped showing active players like 3 months after release.

It sold exactly what it should have for the state of the market and Blizzard’s marketing machines. Further, when people went to Google reviews of D2, they saw nothing but glowing reviews. But realistically, the market dictates how well a game does when it has the marketing budget of a Blizzard release.

Just look at Diablo 4’s numbers – All estimates put it at 9-10 million currently, and it topped $666 million in revenue its first week, so about double that of D3. If that trend continues, D4 will completely decimate D3 in terms of sales, and you’ll still have the D3 carebears claiming D4 is inferior.

Do sales = quality? Of course not, that’s where player retention comes in, and that is yet to be determined for D4. Sales mean nothing when the player retention is absolutely nonexistent.

1 Like

Diablo 3, 5k players. 30m units sold. Whats the explanation? Come on cornball, tell us how d3 is a good game you :clown_face::clown_face:

Meanwhile, D2R has 40k players online currently (300k unique monthly logins), D2R was also the highest selling remake by millions of sales, D2 LoD has 12k players online currently, and there are a myriad of private, modded D2 servers with active players.

D2 was more successful than D3 by a gargantuan margin.

If D3 was any good, why did they remake a 23 year old game that was released before it, rather than D3?

2 Likes