Looks like the Devs learned nothing from Diablo 3's failure

Every 20-30 minutes, your inventory is filled with rares and legendaries that you have to sort through to see which ones you need to delete or which ones you need to keep incase you go a new build/reroll an affix to something good.

This is literally why Diablo 3 was dead. You just get showered with loot that is 99.9% useless, but you have to read 200 lines of affixes just to see what’s “good” and what isn’t.

Diablo 2 had it right: when something dropped in that game, I don’t even need to pick it up to know that it’s good. The dopamine hit is just different.

And this is why people are getting bored of this game 1 month into release while there are still people running mephisto/baal runs 20+ years after Diablo 2’s release. D2 is a slot machine, D4 is a spreadsheet.

94 Likes

Diablo 3 was not a failure, it was a gargantuan success from Blizzards pov.

22 Likes

According to a Blizzard employee, the overall sense within [Team 3] was that the cancellation of the expansion was a vote of no confidence from higher executives, who thought that Diablo III had been a “colossal ****-up.” The team was instructed to move onto *[Diablo Immortal]

11 Likes

D3 sold 30 million copies, hardly a failure.
D2 has sold 4 million copies
D2R sold 5 million copies.
D4 has sold around 10 million copies.

None of these numbers are slouches. But your measure of how good or bad a game is, isn’t a proper rubric to say a game is a failure.

12 Likes

I love it when I can copy and paste something and it would still make sense.

According to a Blizzard employee, the overall sense within [Team 3] was that the cancellation of the expansion was a vote of no confidence from higher executives, who thought that Diablo III had been a “colossal ****-up.” The team was instructed to move onto *[Diablo Immortal]

6 Likes

So what, you googled something and copy and pasted the first thing you came across. And if you had read more. The expansion appeared as bits and pieces throughout the life of D3 and into Immortal.
Ruins of Sescheron
Grey Hollow Island
Necromancer
Just a few of the things from that cancelled expansion that made it into D3.
Not to mention 28 seasons of play. If the game was such a failure, they wouldn’t have bothered to put time, money and effort into continuing production on it.
But, I guess a googled answer that affirms your beliefs, trumps common sense.

6 Likes

You obviously didnt play d2 right. Rares are the most valuable items and they drop just as much as d4. The difference is your runs are much shorter on d2.

5 Likes

The expansion was planned during the development of Reaper of Souls,[1] and was expected to be revealed at BlizzCon 2015. However, the plan was scrapped, and the expansion’s content was broken down into free patch content. Examples included the Ruins of Sescheron and Greyhollow Island.[2] The decision to can the game occurred in late 2013 or early 2014.[1] The content was released for free at the insistence of Mike Morhaime. According to Morhaime, this decision “was about winning back the hearts and minds of people who were disappointed with the original release.”[3]

Ah yes I read more about the expansion.

Diablo 3 was so successful that the president of the company (then) wanted to win back the hearts and minds of people who loved it so much.

2 Likes

Yup, they absolutely blew it on itemization in d4 as they did in d3 (it’s the same team). Arrogant devs that chose to ignore inspiration from d2 and other ARPGs. Just like d3, they ignored the systems until the minute and instead just focused on the action, neglecting the rpg. They did the exact same thing in d3.

8 Likes

Rare items were useful in D2 classic, until LoD came out and they were completely useless compared to uniques and runewords.

They also didn’t drop as much as D4, still.

3 Likes

Not true, rare helms, weapons (mostly caster), offhands, rings, ammulets, boots can all still be bis depending on the class and rolls.

8 Likes

Sales vs the game actually being good are 2 different concepts. 1 is actual gameplay, replay ability and staying off the “shelf”. The other is hype and marketing.

6 Likes

If sales were indicative of a good game, we’d all be playing tencet gacha games and Candy Crush

12 Likes

Its probably best you leave the forum because your clearly trolling. Rare are still BIS. And if i run 15 min of pindle runs i GUARANTEE that youll have more rares then running 1 dungeon in d4.

2 Likes

You’re proving my point… they are not related.

I wish uniques meant something…and had UNIQUE art to them…

instead we have shakos that only 3 people out of millions have lmao

7 Likes

That d2 sales figure was from 2021. It’s very likely closer to 10 million now.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m agreeing with you. Sorry that wasn’t more clear.

If they had even the drop rate of griffons it would be better. But being the power ball of arpg’s is dumb beyond belief. Especially since it’s not even best in slot for a lot of builds that can’t give up another unique helm slot.

2 Likes

d3 vanilla not d3 rass dont combine them its 2 difrent games