Level Scaling Isnt Good

The things that made Diablo 2 good were only good when it released. There’s a reason no modern ARPGs use any D2 systems. They’re outdated and don’t work in modern games, particularly live service games.

That doesn’t mean they’re bad. But this game isn’t D2, and it’s better for it.

3 Likes

Thats the problem though, the drops don’t go appropriate to your level? They stay the same while the monsters get harder. In addition, the scaling doesn’t incorporate your gear, so each level you increase without a major increase in gear actually makes you weaker. As you re run bosses that you beat at lower levels, it takes longer and more difficult, for less gear. Makes no sense.

1 Like

Was unaware no games use skill trees.
Or random generated maps.
Or set items
Or unique items
Or resistances
Or different loot qualities.

These are all d2 systems that almost all are used in every aarpg.

1 Like

Random wolf and a Pit fiend being the same level at all times is pretty silly.

There’s no way for them to tell you a narrative through enemy design/level if everything is the same all the time.

4 Likes

I actually like the scaling as it keeps everything relevant, especially in an OW game. instead of people being packed in one end-game area.

Plus scaled monster drops scaled loot… win win

Level scaling is pretty fun ngl. I prefer a challenge all the time instead of being forced into easy mode all the time.

1 Like

Skill trees existed before D2.
So did randomly generated maps.
Set items weren’t good in D2.
Unique items were just stat sticks.
Resistances existed before D2.
Different loot qualities existed prior to D2.

None of that stuff is why D2 is good. They’re just general characteristics of the genre popularized by D1 & D2.

You ABSOLUTELY feel stronger as you get gear. I did a dungeon at 25 when I had JUST hit 25 and was in mostly bad rates with no real synergy towards any type of ability, play style or damage type.

I went back and did the same dungeon after a few hours of getting better gear and optimizing stats and synergies with legendary powers. Guess what, I felt MUCH stronger. I like level scaling, it makes gear much more important than just “well, this zone is level 25 and I’m level 40, time to sleep walk through it.”

Now if you get challenged it’s not because you’re under leveled, it’s because you either need to “git gud” or you need some gear upgrades.

2 Likes

Start the game, have one basic attack, kill a wolf in 2-3 hits. Come back later, level 25 with legendary gear, still kill that same wolf in 2-3 hits but you also have to put skills on cooldown to do it. Level scaling every area seems like a good idea in concept but you never feel like you are getting stronger. You get weaker and weaker as you progress and it takes away from what a great job they did with the itemization and skills ect.

You hit the nail on the head, you want to feel stronger as you progress. Hopefully it is just a beta issue and the scaling problem eventually ends when you hit level cap.

1 Like

Core systems aren’t going to change.

Scaling is going to be in at release and it’s how things worked in Diablo 3 as well. All of your power level comes from items. Items that drop scale proportionally as you level. Items that are 2-3 levels old are obsolete outside of very specialized legendaries or uniques. It’s a terrible system, but it’s not going any where. The developers didn’t want to innovate any new systems so they just copied what they did in D3.

Overall the game is simplistic and lacks depth. You have very little capacity to control or alter your characters power level outside of just acquiring hire item levels.

1 Like

then simply have it on the highest difficulty. once you are at endgame, you can farm everywhere.

I played till level 17 hardcore and died a terrible but glorious death. I can wait for the challenge of high level hardcore raids. If the constant threat of death doesn’t loom in a game it becomes boring like other softcore games like wow, neverwinter, destiny or a plethora of other games that hold my attention for maybe 2 to 3 months till i ask myself whats the point? Diablo is supposed to be a game where sneezing at the wrong time can cause death.
Even d2 hardcore is boring after a while because a well geared character should only be dying lag deaths. Anything else is the gamers fault. I hope this game is so difficult it makes me want to quit with every death. As for scaling the only time it got hard was when i tried to solo harder bosses. In fact it was easy up till that point. I never advanced my potion or gear and used what i found only. If your finding the game hard maybe its your skill level as a player, maybe get advice from someone thats better. Gaming gurus are great to have around.

I said the same thing at first. The scaling system and duality nature of the mobs and difficulty when partied with players of wide level ranges takes some getting used to. Kinda funny how your new character party member sees mobs at their level and is more effective at killing them than you are vs the SAME targets that you see balance vs your level and stats.

It is possible to dilute your character through leveling up too fast without improving your quality. Do not rely on levels for power and ability to clear content!! You must have quality mechanics and equipment.

What you are really fighting against is your quality of build/mechanics and gear power vs your own level, not really the monsters or a particular dungeon, boss, or zone.

That said, I felt the very same ‘what the hell I leveled up and now I’m weaker’ effect and decided to do some reflection on my build and opted for mechanical strength rather than numerical strength through out-leveling content. WOW what a difference. Once I put a build together correctly and started itemizing for it + upgrading, adding aspects, and socketing THEN I began plowing through all available content as one would expect for end-game. Even the world boss Ashava, rare spawn butcher, and the toughest other encounters and events were no match for me. I didnt have to move and I could take on any foe… in fact my build was granted significant bonus damage from NOT moving!

In short: You should play this game objetive-oriented and intentionally AVOID grinding trash mobs for exp/levels!!! Instead, only kill what is necessary to down elites, events, bosses, etc and collect good loot to use or for salvage + coin to upgrade the pieces you deem worthy of adorning your hide.

The level scaling has its pro’s and con’s, and while I was reluctant to accept it at first, I have now come to see the great value that it adds in letting players of vastly different levels team up for the same content.

I’m left wondering if zones have a level cap. For example, will fractured peaks only scale up enemies to 25, which just so happens to be our beta limit. So if a higher player were to return to the area, mobs and loot would not exceed the limit of what we see in the beta.

1 Like

I disagree completely. I felt stronger every level regardless of what content I did because my build got better and my gear did too. I had more skills, more synergy, and more optimized gear. I played alongside people at low level and noticed how much better I was at clearing whatever we were facing than them - on barb - on rogue and on sorc.

I think the problem for people who’ve had your experience is the build you’ve chosen and your expectation that higher level means better in the absence of scaling. Also your build might be geared towards boss fights and theirs might be an aoe farming build which is going to do better outside of boss fights.

I don’t see the scaling as a problem at all, and I think the positives well outweigh the perceived negatives. Everything becomes viable. I for one don’t want to be doing mephisto runs when the campaign is over. I like that I can go out into act 1 and have the same challenge and rewards as act 5. I like that I can play with friends who are low level or vice versa and one of us isn’t doing charity work wasting their time. It’s good for everyone as far as I can tell.

Is this ‘issue’ only prevalent because we are leveling? I’m sure once you’re max level and have some paragon and gear the current world tier level you’re in would then feel easy and you’d then choose a higher world tier which (ironically) scales the world for more of a challenge?

It’s hard to say after having only played the first zone -there may be some other scaling systems in place for the other zones- maybe there is room for adjustment per zone or sub-area in each zone if that’s the case.

I think the larger issue is mob scaling when you’re in an event with players of much lower or much higher level than you are.

What you’re describing - being able to start gearing up at level 25 - is an artifact of the beta, with its global level cap of 25. In the real game, you wouldn’t be able to start gearing up this way until level 100.

My barb felt weaker every level from about 9-18. I did not find any reliable means of getting gear or resources that did not also grant XP, meaning it was just pure luck whether you got a good piece of gear first (+power/+fun), or leveled up against first (-power/-fun).

I’m glad the game is offering difficulty levels to players who want the 1-25 / 1-100 experience to be slow & challenging. That’s great for them. Personally I’m in the camp who does not want any friction at all in the pre-end game experience nor in any mandatory campaign quests (bosses) and would like those to be as short as possible since it’s all ultimately a waste of time until the real game and real gear begins. I especially did not like boss fights with mechanics that could not be out-geared / out-leveled because the boss scales faster than your power does.

Still unlike the beta which is just a weekend long, I’m not too worried about the launched game. Actual kinks will get worked out, streamlined player builds/orders/strategies will get published, and there will probably be some sort of power-leveling options. So there will be a fine way to make it to the end game, it just may be sub-optimal that players like me can’t just play casually using powers they like to do it.

1 Like

for real gamer game begins from lvl 0 the journey to top evry step and not teleport to max lvl with bis gear and 10000% bonus damage for free

That IS the problem, that the only point of the game is to get to level cap. That should NOT be the only point. If that is the ONLY point, just skip the rest and start at level cap or just Don’t have levels.

3 Likes

Yes, that is exactly what I want. I want to see a super strong person smashing things that I am having a hard time with so that I have something to aspire to. Instead I am killing the same monsters faster at level 8 than the level 22 guys is in the same zone. I am literally watching him struggle with the same monster I am fighting. I have actually SAVED people 15 levels higher than me. It is Ridiculous.

5 Likes

Sounds more like a bad build imo.