Level Scaling Isnt Good

Despite the commonality of scaling enemies, it is the one of the reasons Diablo 2 felt better than MMOs. When you got stronger, the enemies felt weaker.

That isnt the case so far with Diablo 4. I almost died to one of the first side quests because i missed it and went back as a level 25. The Pros (not cons) of it are clear: no matter what you want to do on side quests, theyll be challenging, and it wont feel like you’re dragging yourself through something you wish you did before.

But having this globally ruins the point of leveling up and gaining better gear. I am now weaker in time-to-kill than i was at level 16, in the same areas. I literally level up to become weaker. So leveling up doesnt feel good, and gaining new loot which is auto-tailored to me, so I’m min/maxing +/-1% at level 25 seems atrociously off the mark.

The things that made diablo 2 objectively good were rare loot and potent, tangible power spikes. This game’s beta so far lacks both.

99 Likes

wont be long after release when there are guides saying do this story act first because it will be easier at a lower scaled lvl to maximise your speed run. scaling is blergh, let it scale after the campaign is finished

21 Likes

Currently the game is set up that as soon as you get your first core skill, mininize getting experience as you are at the strongest you’ll ever be.

15 Likes

all i know is since we can apparently pick our story order im heading straight for act 2 and getting the horse then doing as little as i can to finish the campaign and swap to third lvl of difficulty ( if possible with low lvl, depends on the end campaign dung difficulty). getting that horse early will save so much time and ima take full advantage of the silly scaling mechanics

4 Likes

Universal scaling is always a mechanic that makes games less fun.

42 Likes

Sigh… we shouldn’t be trying to avoid the game mechanics to have fun.

Successful, fun games have been made before, and erroneous and played-out games as well. Why is it difficult for activision to choose between them?

12 Likes

Its needed for a persistent openworld that doesnt have obsolete areas.

9 Likes

Why is that goal more important than the gameplay being fun?

edit to note: Overall I’m finding D4 to be fun to play. But it would be more fun without the level scaling.

14 Likes

I understand its rationale but I’m saying it comes at the expense why we play the games: progression and leveling up should make you stronger. Not weaker.

21 Likes

Think about what you sare saying. If scaling doesnt happen, it will inevitably leave large areas of dead content.

2 Likes

Level scaling is fine so what you wont accidently over level content and then run through it easier? Like I dont understand why people are obsessing and worried about this when the point of the game is to get level cap and then it won’t be an issue anyways.

Its a short term problem thats is only an opinion. Once you hit max level you raise your difficulty as your gear progresses too its the same exact thing.

1 Like

Constantly feeling weaker as you gain more gear is why Diablo 3 was inferior to Diablo 2.

12 Likes

A) Why is that bad? There are other areas to enter, you progress through areas.
B) There are other solutions to make areas remain relevant. You’re acting like having every single mob in every single area scale to your level is the only possible way to keep areas relevant.

10 Likes

enabling scaling after campaign is fine since we might not be max lvl ( have to wait and see) but lvling up and getting weaker is not how it should work. they either need to remove scaling until a certain flag is triggered or bring back our power in relation to lvl and stats /skills and not gear so we still get stronger than the enemies

11 Likes

Like diablo 2? You’d go back to areas for quests and gear.

5 Likes

I wished the areas would have some kind of level range attached to them. Yes, you could not choose to go anywhere you please at any given time, but the global leveling right now truly feels terrible. You actually get weaker with each level up (because your items are not on par with the new monster level).

11 Likes

only place ive seen with set lvls are strongholds, on the world map some of the zones do say lvl 35 and that so some zones might still have set lvls and then scale up more once you reach that lvl cant tell till release tho unfort

Its needed in a shared world. Do you want to be level 8 and exploring the game and each place you go there is someone 20 levels higher smashing through everything while you just stand there looking at corpses?

Level scaling works well for shared spaces. Players of all levels can participate in the content as intended while still getting level appropriate xp and loot.

1 Like

Yeah, because i would go “wow i can’t wait to be that strong”

Not the other way around. The level 20 looking at me 1 shotting everything while they have to hit it 3 times yet sank 5 more hours into leveling.

7 Likes

Sounds like you have skill points scattered all over just to play around with different things. My level 22 lunging strike still one shots basic mobs the same way it did at level 5.