Latest Nvidia driver 555.85 crashes within 2 minutes of loading into D4

I just moved from the 552.22 to the 555.85, game crashes almost immediately. Going to roll back, but you should contact Nvidia and see what is going on here.

Edit: Even rolling back, the game now crashes, and yes this is with a clean install!

5 Likes

i dont actually think its a nvidia issue, more of a blizzard clown team issue

3 Likes

I’d argue it’s both!

1 Like

being that it also happens on xbox series x as well as pc, im more inclined with it being a blizzard issue

I would also say it´s a Blizzard issue. I can 100% confirm that the game got unplayable for me since the update on 22.05.2024. Since this patch my game crashes every 5-10 minutes to the desktop without an error message. Had absolutely no problems running the game even with frame generation activated.

RTX 4090
i9 13900k
32 GB RAM

4 Likes

Might give this a serious think:

-Game crashing after Nvidia Update - #2 by DTMAce-1687

Yes, going back to the Jan driver release may actually resolve this for now.

I’m running that release, no issues at all. Didn’t even have issues with Frame Gen before they removed it.

Someone else in that thread also went back to that release and it fixed their issues.

Eventually they may address the problem in either a patch or an update with Nvidia, but if you want a chance to play the game without issues now, its worth a shot to try.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Also having issues with 555.85. Specifically crashing around Hawezar (portaling to tree or doing helltides in the area).

1 Like

Just wanted to add to the above. I’m experiencing crashes and horrible frame rate issues leading up to them. Everything was running smooth until yesterday’s update.

Unfortunately I updated both Diablo & my Nvidia drivers at the same time so couldn’t parse out what the culprit was.

I’ve since rolled back to the Jan Nvidia drivers (and tried all the fixes DTMAce has posted) so it very likely to be an issue introduced via the blizzard patch.

I haven’t played since Season 2 as a couple of weeks in the 1.1.1 patch bricked the game for me. Now it seems to be a repeat in season 4. I can only hope that blizzard actually tries to fix its buggy mess of a game this time. Unlike the 1.1.1 issues which are still a problem for some…

Sorry those didn’t help you.

For the rest of you, that doesn’t mean this above suggestion or other suggestions won’t help you either.

I myself have not had any problems with each patch breaking the game.

The only patch I took issue with was the one that disabled Frame Gen, as it actually caused me a performance hit with regards to RT. I had to turn down my RT settings after that patch to maintain my 1440p @ 100FPS. (4080S FE at Ultra RT with DLSS @ DLAA)

1 Like

I’m certainly not saying that DTMAce’s suggestions aren’t viable, just that they didn’t work for me.

Slight update on the above. I realised the one thing I did change as per DTM’s list was " GPU Scheduling - This is enabled in Windows.". I had turned this on in my troubleshooting. I tried turning it off again as a test & this removed my lag/stutter issues (on the Jan 24th Driver). This is for a 1050 TI in a laptop for reference.

Unfortunately, I now have an issue where teleporting to town seems to hang on the loading screen forever :confused:

This did happen to me once a few days ago. They had put out a patch while I was playing. Once I had updated things were fine, and I haven’t had an issue since.

It should be noted, the version of the driver I’m running on is the Jan 31st one. Not the 24th. :smiley:

I should add this:

Teleportation seems to rely heavily on a good internet connection. If your internet connection twitches while teleporting, the game can hang there or drop your instance. If I recall correctly, this game having an open world means it can actually change the server you connect to when going from one zone to another via teleport. For example, fighting the world boss, you go back to town and come back to a completely different fight.

If I play from my Starlink and Starlink has a small interruption (tree blockage, weather, etc), I will have issues like that. Which is why I mostly play from my slower DSL line, as its much more stable.

But those issues I can directly point to a cause and its easily recreated/determined. And its not the game, the server or any other fault than simply an issue I have some control over.

It may be SKU specific (i.e. the January driver works for the 4080 Super, but not say, the 4070 Ti (non-Super). A helpful metric would be each poster letting us know the exact model GPU they have, be it 4060/Ti, 4070/Ti, Super variants (those would be January 2024 releases and associated with the driver you say works for you), etc.

Yes, this is correct. For the 1050 TI (notebook version) there is only a 17th of Jan & 24th of Jan release. So it does vary based on card/generation which makes sense.

It’s a good thought though. It may be worth me testing different releases as it may vary for my card.

The connection is a fair point. I play on Wifi but do have the option to play wired if needed. Though everything was functioning perfectly on Wifi up until yesterday which makes me feel like it’s not a connection issue. I have fibre & my wifi is low ping/latency so I can’t see that being my particular issue.

As mentioned above. I might try experimenting with different driver versions.

That’s a good point.

It may also mean the next driver after Jan 31st may work fine.

Just for giggles, try turning off the WiFi and test with a hardwire connection if you have the option to see if that fixes it.

I have seen this off an on since the game launched across the forum in varying degrees and results.

100% sure it’s the clown team. They’ve been hiding from the technical support section where hundreds of players reporting the exact same problem.

1 Like

This has happened to me. Have you fixed it? I need help too in fixing it.

DDU to remove the drivers, then installed the previous. Typically, I select clean install when installing Nvidia drivers, but that didn’t work. The DDU utility worked.

1 Like

I had the same issue but ı use 3000 series graphic card

2 Likes

delete your shader cache, delete textures cache, delete dx cache, it does fix a lot of performance issues given the driver update, and learn to do it your self regularly.