I appear to have resolved my random disconnects and game freezes

Good morning,

After a very long time of trying to figure out why my game randomly disconnects and freezes. I think I have finally resolved the issues. I know it was super frustrating for me. Hopefully this will save someone else some frustration.

Below are thee changes that appear to have helped me with my random Diablo 4 issues. The third one adjusting the MTU setting was needed to stabilize my VPN at work. I really think this is what resolved the disconnects for me.

My OS is Windows 10 Pro

1. Start the game as Administrator.
  • Right click Diablo IV.exe and choose properties

• Click Compatibility tab

• Check Run this program as an administrator

1. Unchecking core zero. If you have multiple cores with your processor you might want to try this. Once in a while the game would freeze on me. When I did this the game stopped freezing. I used to have to go to the task manager and end task due to the game freezing.
  • Open Task Manager

• Click Details tab

• Right click Diablo IV.exe

• Click Set Affinity

• Uncheck CPU 0

• Click OK

1. I use TMobile home internet. I live way out in the country. I had to change my MTU setting and I no longer experience random disconnects. I didn’t even know what an MTU was.
  • Right Click Command Prompt

• Click Run as Administrator

• This command displays your MTU settings: netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface

• This command changes your MTU settings, change “Wi-Fi” to your internet name:  netsh interface ipv4 set interface “Wi-Fi” mtu=1480

8 Likes

Hey Scott, this worked great for me, zero stuttering or rubber banding, and fast reloads on portals.

Just thought I’d let you and others know.

1 Like

Hey Greysmith,

I am glad it helped. The only negative is that Windows doesn’t save the core change permanently. It is saved until you log out of Diablo 4. I use a tool called Process Lasso that saves it permanently.

2 Likes

Hello Greysmith, it looks like it worked for me too. It did reduce my frame rate but the crash on exiting the game and the disconnects seem to have gone away, at least for now. There was a little game delay upon entering the Helltide event but other than that it seems to be good. Thanks!

I assume my issue isn’t the same as yours as this didn’t work for me. It did have about 30 seconds of studdering before it smoothed out, but it worked fine until the crashes returned.

Originally, my issue was mostly upon portal or when in town and within the first 15 minutes of launch, but a graphics card update seems to have resolved that issue along with minimizing some graphics settings.

Now, my issue seems to be predominantly within the first 15 minutes of launch and during the heat of some battles, then settles out for one to two hours (unsure after that since my ol’bones can’t sit much longer than that).

Thoughts, anyone?

There are some variables to consider. Do you use an SSD or a HDD? If you use an HDD make sure your drive cache is large enough for the game and everything else on your PC. I am going to assume you don’t have the most fancy expensive graphics (nether do I). As a general rule I turn anything that has the word Geometic or Geometry to low, fog, fur, and reflection quality to low. anti-aliasing quality to low, anything with the word shadow to low and along with water simulation. Make sure to check Low FX. I also turn off Distortion. You can leave Anisotropic Filtering to high as it has a minor affect on performance. I hope that helps. I was just looking at my settings so I didn’t care about grammar or sentence structure. Your mileage may vary.

Scott, thank you for the interest in my issue. I’m using SSD.

As to graphic settings, turning them down definitely have had a positive outcome already, but I’ll look a bit deeper based upon your suggestions.

I used to understand all this before retirement (owner of animation/development studio and personally a programmer in the early days /facepalm), but the strokes took a chunk out of the ol’noggin, so I’ll try to keep up!

Thank you.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it appears my issue lies elsewhere as things have continued with the adjustments suggested. However, I’ll let you know if I find the source in case anyone has similar issues. Thanks again.

Sounds like you covered all your bases. Just to make sure I am on the same page as you did you try both bullets 1 and 2 at the top of this post? Option 2 really helped me with the stuttering.

I am not an expert on SSD drives but I know some have slow data read/writes. I would double check the make/model of the SSD and then google it to see if it is considered a slow SSD. I have a very large cheap SSD that is slow but I use it to back up my system. Speed wasn’t a concern for me.

Your issue of “the first 15 minutes of launch” and “in the heat of battle” sounds like it could be either a HDD cache (also called page file) or a shader cache issue. Since you stated you have an SSD I would rule out the HDD cache. Do you have any system clean up programs such as ccleaner running? If you do make sure it isn’t cleaning (deleting) the shader cache. If the shader cache is being deleted or reset then the game has to recreate the shader cache and it often only creates them as it needs them so if you go into a populated area it could be trying to create all the shaders and that could slow your machine down. The good thing is that once the game creates the shaders it reuses them.

Those are all the bases that I normally cover for any gaming issues that I have. Sometimes (rarely) I deliberately reset the shader cache when I want it to create new fresh shaders due to me altering the video settings.

One last thing. Blizzard made a change a while back that caused the game to be unplayable for me. I updated drives, changed settings, everything that you are doing now. Then I noticed that there was a BIOS upgrade. I have Ryzen 5 with onboard graphics. The BIOS upgrade gave the option to dedicate more memory to the onboard graphics.

Updating the BIOS, changing the dedicated memory to max for the onboard graphics, and doing bullet 2 in my original post above (uncheck core zero from the Diablo 4 executable) resolved my stuttering and rubber banding. I completely forgot about the BIOS upgrade.

With that I am out of ideas. I am sorry, wish I could be more help.