HDR is washed out, hazy look

It crushes blacks (which does look better if you prefer that). One other difference is that SDR “looks brighter and more colorful” but that’s just because all TVs come with incorrectly calibrated SDR settings.

Could reason be that your HDR calibration settings are incorrect? If I remember correctly on PS5 if you follow instructions to letter you can’t get black. Unless they fixed that part of instructions.

1. Blizzard responded to this post stating and on Twitter that there is/was issues with HDR and are working on it. This was in Beta.
  2. The technical video analysis of HDR in Diablo 4 still shows the implementation isn’t correct in release. Scroll up for video.
  3. Why would I recalibrate my TV/console settings for Diablo 4 and screw up HDR for the dozens of other games I have that are displaying HDR correctly?

You have clearly never done HDR calibration on your console if you don’t know how it’s done. Basically it sets blackiest black and whitest white. You know, slider one. “Move slider until you do not see image anymore”.

Btw, calibration applies to all games. Unless you do it differently each time you play new game. Who would be stupid enough to do that?

No where did I say I didn’t calibrate my HDR. I clearly said ‘why would I recalibrate my TV and Console for Diablo 4 when my other games that support HDR look correct in HDR.

You didn’t read this thread. You failed to read my response to you. And you basically have no clue what you are talking about.

2 Likes

Could be because I don’t have this “problem”. That could be because I have gone to console (Series X) settings and done HDR calibration so now all games look good in HDR.

SDR looks almost same as HDR in this game when TV settings are similar. SDR has less detail in dark areas because it lacks HDR’s strongest part (dynamic range in low end) Though I do prefer more natural colors in HDR so color saturation is set to lower. Same color temperature (Expert 1, Sony’s factory calibrated setting) in both.

1 Like

This may be anecdotal, but i found if i turn off hdr and increase sdr brightness all the way then turn hdr back on this fixed it. I seem to remember the same solution for destiny. Hope it helps.

Shouldn’t have to do this on a game by game basis, especially on console. That’s why I game on console now vs. PC (I also work at a PC all day and def don’t wanna spend more time sitting at one for pleasure)

So a search of patch notes didn’t have HDR listed. Can we at least get an official acknowledgement that there still is an issue? I should not have to turn HDR on and off at the console level to play this game. Getting irritated that I’ll be done playing before a fix.

1 Like

Yeah right, did you see the “6600 word” patch notes they’ve been boasting about. They are proud of this garbage that got released.

HDR has been an issue well over a year, like many other issues, and this patch didn’t address those. Don’t delude yourself into thinking they give a damn.

Just putting on my clown makeup and reupping this in hopes of ANY response.

1 Like

Is this still not fixed???

Is there issue? Works just fine.

Yes, black levels are still lifted. My workaround has just been to lower the black level on my TV… but it is still annoying because I have to raise it back up for other games/shows/movies.

What you think should be black isn’t even supposed to be black. For example shadows aren’t supposed to be black.

I understand what you are saying but my shadows still aren’t black even after lowering the black level on the tv. The shadows still have detail.

If the washed out look is what they are going for… it would be nice if they would just say so. The thing is, if you turn off HDR and run the game in SDR mode… it no longer looks washed out. This is why many people feel the HDR needs another look.

1 Like

Show me black shadow in real wold. Good luck, you’ll need it.

Cause HDR exists in the real world.

Learn why HDR was created for game engines and TV.

More detail in dark and bright areas, especially when two are right next to each other.

HDR allows compatible displays to receive a higher quality image source . It does not improve a display’s intrinsic properties (brightness, contrast, and color capabilities).

It does not have anything to do with contrast, blackness or sharpness. It will not make blacks blacker or whites whiter. That is up to your display properties.

As far as blacks looking grey or soft, try adjusting your console settings, then go into the display settings and adjust from there.
You can do it the other way around as well.

There is also the initial setup for the game that you can jump into in the settings menu. That will help with black/white saturation

“True black” is more of plasma/OLED thing.

1 Like