HDR is washed out, hazy look

To be transparent, those videos are not mine, I just have researched and reported the issue since beta.

Personally I have turned HDR off for this game(console setting) as it just looks way better in SDR. Issue with this is that I have to turn it on for every other game i play.

2 Likes

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but when you launch the game there is a brief light gray screen that appears prior to the Blizzard splash screen, seemingly like a filter or overlay. Could be nothing but makes me feel like it’s correlated somehow, it’s like it’s adding additional unnecessary gamma if HDR is enabled.

1 Like

Still looks garbage. Theres basically 0 definition on anything, it all looks the same tone. The only time it’s not an issue is when I’m in dark dungeons

1 Like

Any update from the devs on the HDR situation? Thanks all.

2 Likes

I have seen none. Seems Blizzard is more focused with nerfing entertaining content and our classes then actually looking at issues that have been in the game for some time.

Many QOL and common sense features are missing from this game like lack of inventory management on console, some type of world event notification system, gem tab, etc.

For HDR, it’s a simple test.

1. Setup a current LG or Samsung TV, or gaming monitor
  2. Setup your console or PC HDR.
  3. Launch Diablo 4.
  4. Observe the visuals(the dark areas, the blacks)
  5. Quit Diablo 4
  6. Turn off your HDR setting on console/pc(SDR mode)
  7. Launch Diablo 4
  8. Observe the visuals(the dark areas, the blacks)

If the team responsible for HDR can’t see the difference, get a new team.

Yes, frustrated.

5 Likes

Do we know if there are any tricks to adjusting the HDR gamma curve on Windows 10? That github article’s ICC profiles and steps are specific to Win11 unfortunately so trying it on Windows 10 has had no effect for myself. Haven’t played around with NVIDIA control panel settings but I don’t know if you can modify the gamma levels there? To me it’s clear that is the primary issue: gamma is just cranked too high for HDR. The color range and additional visual detail is definitely noticeable with HDR but obv at the cost of the washed out greys/blacks.

Been playing on my series X ( yep washed out ) I’ve been fiddling with my tv settings! Still not brilliant ! So I bought ps5 version of game ( I saw difference)

1 Like

Just a reminder that this issue is not only on expensive OLED TVs:

On my Xiaomi Q1 (QLED) I also have the “washed out blacks” problem. System is a XBox Series X.

1 Like

And here I was thinking my eyes are just going out on me. Thanks for info.

I’m having the exact same issue on my XBSX. I purchased my TV last Christmas and it literally checked all the boxes for video settings and proved to be by far the best TV I’ve had to give a great HDR experience. Everything looks better with HDR turned on except Diablo 4. Grey and overly bright plain ole ugly. I turned off HDR at the system settings since the Console version doesn’t have an HDR toggle and this fixed the problem. It looked like a proper Diablo game, dark moody with great shadows, lighting and weather effects. Please fix HDR Blizzard.

1 Like

Playing on PC, HDR is also broken, dark areas are too bright (grey). Tested on LG C1 and Alienware aw3423dwf with the latest firmware that fixed HDR EOTF tracking. I couldn’t find a proper way to adjust it without having to revert stuff when watching another content so I simply play with SDR instead :frowning:

2 Likes

I definitely don’t have this but I have a 4k oled TV. The only time I get HDR issues is when I try and output to my laptop screen and I have to turn HDR off. But that’s it - in that case yes it’s washed out and bright.

Sounds like an issue on the output screen

Scroll up and watch the video. This is not a ‘output screen’ issue, its a Blizzard Diablo issue.

Many people are far more technical about TV calibration and HDR settings, so when I see one game do it right and a game released with HDR completely wrong, i tend to go to more in-depth analysis of what is really going on.

1 Like

Did the update that was rolled out today fixed this issue?

Surely any day now… They surely have this as a priority

2 Likes

Still an issue. Blizz can you please task 1 person to look at this for us? It’s a pretty simple fix. I get frustrated having to crank my TVs black levels down just for one game!

You spent so much time on the game’s atmosphere… help it out a bit more and fix the HDR please.

3 Likes

its not the hdr, its the fog filling up the screen

Yea, no. Watch the video, get more technical. Understand what HDR actually does.

Switch your console’s HDR off and see the difference.

What a joke. Months later, game released.

STILL NO PROPER HDR SUPPORT :clown_face:

2 Likes

+1

Blizzard pls look into this!