Game keeps randomly causing my computer to crash and restart

same issue with ryzen 7 5800x, rtx 3070, 32 gb, aorus elite x570

As to my new beefy CLX gaming system, I contacted technical support to ask for help to see if the random crash/reboot while playing D4 is related to hardware. I was happy to get a reply and was instructed to download an advanced system tool “WhoCrashed” and use it to analyze my system and send the results to support.

Unfortunately, I’m on a 3-week vacation and won’t be able to do as instructed until I return home. Maybe some of you might want to try the WhoCrashed tool and offer your results on this forum.

I’m still getting this crash/reboot problem on my PC. Is anyone else getting this same issue?

yes i can’t play more than 1 dungeon without the crash. Its so annoying.

This happens to me as well since launch. I don’t know why there is not a formal investigation into this. I created my own thread documenting my issue as well.

I 100% blame this game for frying my 3080TI as well, which I explained in my own post.

1 Like

No single application can cause hardware failure.
Only direct or indirect voltage changes, as well as tampering with the cooling system, improper configuration and assembly of the PC, or operating the system under inappropriate conditions can cause hardware failure. The game has nothing to do with this.

I’ve been having this issue since I’ve installed Diablo 4 on my brand new pc.
z790
i9 13900k
RTX 4070 ti
64GB 6000Mhz DDR5
NZXT Kraken 240 AiO
Corsair 1000x PSU

While in the old system, a nine years old i7 4790 paired with an RTX2070 Super works flawlessly, never had a crash since launch…

Waiting for something to come up and solve the problem for us…

Edit: A few minutes after I wrote this comment it happened again, I was browsing the skill tree and the pc restarted.

Edit 2: The game seems to crash (no pc restart) when I’m in town doing nothing, happened twice in half an hour.

1 Like

same issue - i launch D4 from desktop app, i get the blizzard logo and boom - computer just insta reboots. Problem doesnt happen with any other game. Got all latest drivers and updates.

1 Like

For me, the crash/reboot issue still occurs consistently between 5-20 minutes of D4 gameplay. I continued testing and trying different Diablo 4 settings, but the issue still exists.

My new robust liquid cooled gaming PC is configured with a ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming motherboard, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 graphics, 32GB DDRAM. The Windows, GeForce, BIOS, drivers are the latest and up to date. I disabled some of the Startup apps, and the number of applications installed on this system is minimal so to minimize the cause of this issue.

Although not as a satisfying gaming experience, I’ve had no problem playing D4 on my much older and less spec’d gaming PC (Intel Core i7-9700F, GeForce GTX 1660) and gaming laptop (Intel Core i7-6700HQ, GeForce GTX 1060). The PC and laptop run stable while playing D4. Both are INTEL core systems which leads me to have less confidence with the AMD core.

I suspect the issue may be caused by overheating. My PC is well ventilated and the ambient temperature in the room is cool. The crash, temperature, and CPU/GPU stress test results appear to point to hardware. I now have less confidence with AMD possibly related to overheating and maybe hardware compatibility.

Fortunately, the PC gaming vendor will help me by replacing the AMD core with an INTEL core system. I hope this will add stability to the D4 gameplay and resolve the issue.

I lock up every few hours of gameplay always seem to be in a dungeon. As a hardcore player this random hard crash of my PC has killed me at high level 4 times now. I just locked up again and almost lost my level 73. Ive tried everything and cannot seem to figure out why this random crash keeps happening. I believe its some kind of memory leak issue as the game is riddled with memory problems. My temps are well below any concerning level but these random lockups keep happening. I’m afraid its an issue that will persist until they figure out these memory issues :frowning:

In the last week D4 has been crashing my entire PC. The last few times have been at or around world bosses, so might be some weird mess with loading players. Also of note is that the rate at which my gpu temps increase is unusually high when playing D4.

If anyone on the tech side actually reads these my basic specs are:

• ryzen 5900x cpu
  • ryzen rx 7900 xtx gpu
  • X570S AORUS PRO AX motherboard
  • 64 GB g.skill trident ram
  • 1500W power supply
2 Likes

Happening to me randomly, crashed 3 times last 1 hour. Once during cutscene on side quest, 2nd on clicking on vendor, 3rd while teleporting.

As mentioned in my last posting, the PC gaming vendor helped me by replacing the AMD core with an INTEL core system.

I’m happy to report that at optimal graphics game settings and many hours of playing, D4 has NOT once crashed/reboot the system for the past 3 days of gaming!

While I play D4 on this new system, the “HWMonitor” on the INTEL Package and Cores Value shows temperature modulating between 52-74 C and sometimes max at 76 C. On the defectived system, the AMD Package Value temperature modulated between 85-90 C and occasionally spiked and held at 90+.

I now have a stable system to play D4. It appears my crash/reboot issue has been resolved which was likely caused by the core overheating. To me, the INTEL core versus AMD core is better suited for games requiring higher system resources.

1 Like

In your case, it may be that you were having issues with your previous system that was causing the game to glitch and act up.

That in itself is not indicative of a problem with AMD vs Intel.

There are people playing the game fine right now on both platforms, and people on both platforms having issues.

However, there is an underlying point with your particular case:

Hardware can cause issues.

But the problem is why for some, Diablo IV is the only game to cause an issue with some hardware?

Or why is it the one game that triggers a potentially defective hardware component (PSU, CPU, RAM, GPU, Etc) to start presenting and crashing the game?

While I agree in some cases, hardware may be a direct cause, it has been a game that is far too twitchy compared to other titles, even among Blizzard’s own games.

I have the same problem, and I think i found the solution. For WoW, there’s an option under the graphics settings for blizzard to choose which graphics card to use or you can specify which card it should be using. By default it should be on “AUTO DETECTION”, change that to your specific vid card. So far it worked for me, hopefully itll work for you

Count me in. Seems like dungeons are the primary offenders but that’s not always the case. Just today I logged in and was sitting idle for probably ~5 minutes while alt-tabbed wrapping something else up and my PC just rebooted out of nowhere.

I’m guessing, from the myriad of posts, that this is an AMD problem? Maybe? It’s extremely frustrating and seems to be getting worse.

I have the same Issue! In Windows dump files it shows a problem called Diablo 4 ! Blizz need to fix this somehow… The result from 2nd half is the main reason: Diablo 4 scans your PC and won’t stop until is reaches the information after… unfortunately I have no idea what they are looking for…

It’s definitely not an “AMD” problem alone Intel and Nvidia hardware also have problems with this game.

In any case try lowering your clock speed a little bit on your graphics card and or CPU. I was able to get my system to run the game by setting my clocks a little below reference card settings (6900 XT) for this game.

1 Like

You are not alone, mine as well

I appreciate that. I’ll see if I can goof with those settings. I have 6950 XT so I’ll make some adjustments. Hoping to resolve this.

Edit: tried the things, no go. This sucks.