Game is crashing my PC since the 5/16 update

Next day update…I have been playing all morning… perfectly fine!!! WHAT THE F**!? I changed nothing. Was horrible last night, woke up… perfectly fine. Whats going on.

You get any updates to Windows in between?

It could be a trigger to a different issue too though. Those affected have another condition that results in the crashes… IE, a setting, a different configuration, something and the patch doesn’t like it or whatever the difference is doesn’t like the patch.

If it were universally only the patch, it would be far more likely to affect a much larger portion of the player base.

After a year of following problems with Diablo IV, I can say that there tends to be a common issue of the game being… Picky or finicky about how your system is configured. Not only that, it seems to change from patch to patch.

I’m fortunate to be one of those that since game launch I have had very few problems ever with this game.

And back in the first couple of months after it launched, I even tried to break it. I even tested the game on various hardware, with various configs. Couldn’t get it to really screw up.

It wasn’t until I upgraded from a 3070Ti to the 4080 Super that I finally started getting the teleport disconnects and out of memory errors, both of which I fixed by setting a larger swap file size.

So…

Yeah. The patch obviously is triggering a problem for many players, but it may not be the direct cause.

That doesn’t mean I don’t have an issue with how the coding for this game seems a bit… Rushed at times.

Game on.

Unless an update came last night… no.

Easy enough to check, you can review your update history.

Having the same problem as many others - played season 2, then skipped season 3 and had absolutely no issues with my PC. As soon as I jumped back into season 4 the game has been crashing at least once an hour. And what’s worse is when it crashes it completely locks up my PC, causes a BSOD and a forced restart.

I am running AMD 5950X with 32GB of fast RAM, MSI GeForce 3090 with 24GB VRAM and it’s all installed on a Samsung 990 NVme drive. Literally not a single crash over the last few months despite playing a plethora of other “heavy” games, yet D4 just crashes my PC non stop.

I tried setting my graphical options to the very lowest yesterday and managed to play without any crashes for about 6 hours. Then I changed them to medium, set textures to highest quality and logged in today only to crash literally within 5 seconds of standing in the city.

As for updates - I’ve disabled updates in my Windows 11 due to them constantly failing so I’m on a version that’s 6-8 months old if anyone’s interested.

Edit:
Kill me now. Booted back into the game after the second crash within 2 minutes and all my game settings have been reset! The other day I had Battle.net suddenly log me out and think that the game is not even installed. Seriously, WTF is going on…

1 Like

If you haven’t tried this yet, I suggest giving it a shot. It won’t hurt your system, and may improve overall performance a tad:

Use the 24GB setting since you are running a 3090.

well I take your point, however, that’s the problem of the game. My system works fine with everything else , just not diablo. hard to say that diablo “doesn’t like how my system is configured.” No, diablo has problems.

so when i set windows refresh rate to 60 the frequency of crashing decreases now i crash whn telportng into helltides and riding into helltides but if a hell tide is not present i am more stable. I am beginning to think this is due to the proximity of other players

Well, apparently with my adjustments, none of the other games I play have any problems, so making changes doesn’t break anything else either.

I do agree, we shouldn’t be needing to make large changes to help a game play, but sometimes you do need to make adjustments. In D4’s case, its a bit too fussy, even the Steam variant has issues.

*shrug

i7 13700K
MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI DDR4 (BIOS 1.B0)
RTX 4070 Super (driver 552.44)
16GB DDR4 RAM
750W PSU
NVMe SSD
Win11 Home x64 23H2

All drivers and Win11 updated, verified files, all diagnostics pass (native Windows tools, Intel Processor, XTU), CPU and GPU temps are fine under full load

I built this machine in March 2024 and have built several PCs with no glaring issues. Crashes first started with no pattern in Helldivers 2. They were all Power Kernel Event 41s with no error dump because the computer just restarted (no BSOD, no hang, just rebooted the machine) and didn’t write the error, so it’s near impossible to diagnose from logs. From some extensive Googling about those crashes, I learned there are known issues with Intel 14gen and some 13gen CPUs with some games.

The first three days after Diablo 4 season 4, the game ran fine, and I had no issues since launch last year. Then on Saturday May 18th, the game started rebooting my machine with Event 41 as above. It has crashed on teleport, on the first load screen after title splash, and once when doing nothing waiting right when a world boss was about to start.

There has been no official statement or fix yet from Intel or the mobo manufacturers, though plenty of proposed workarounds. In BIOS, I’ve set my core power limits to Intel chip defaults, not mobo defaults, as one identified possibility. MSI has a BIOS update in beta, but I’m iffy on downloading it right now.

My question is if this is all related or if a crash bug was introduced in the hotfix or something since season 4 started. Some menu functions in game randomly hang for 10 seconds or so but eventually work, but it’s been that way since the game came out.

no update. Its just working now… i dont get it

1 Like

You are running a similar motherboard that I’m on, only difference is RAM speed.

With my 12900k, I did update to the beta BIOS for the board, didn’t have any issues with that. But the “defaults” still don’t control much even on that BIOS.

I actually set the power limit for my i9 to 180W (package is 150W) even though the upper specified limit is 241W.

It did help drop my CPU temps under large loads and its not like I need that processor to run that hard anyway.

In your case, its possible that it has already developed a break down from running over voltaged/over wattaged till you adjusted it. (closing the barn door after the horse got)

May have to have that CPU sent in at some point. The 13700K should have been a bit more resilient than the i9 variant, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t take some damage.

Being that you have some issues in other games and such, it could be from either an actual hardware problem and/or a game issue, but its going to be hard to know without eliminating the potentials.

Well, I guess be glad it works again.

Still getting crashes here even after reinstalling and after the latest patch.

1 Like

same, the new update didnt fix anything
Game still freezing after about 5mins of play time and the only thing i can do once it freeze is to completly exit the game.
I still have yet to complete a dungeon, this is so sad.

Played for nearly 6 hours total today straight.

Had one freeze. I was unlocking WT3, finished the dungeon, went teleport and it hung with the splash screen waiting to go back to town.

Wasn’t frozen, but it was stuck.

Forced closed the game, only to find it it got stuck because I had to update it. Apparently it got the update trigger while I was playing in the dungeon to unlock WT3… LOL

So, once I did the update, restarted the game it played for another 3 hours without any issue. At least it did register that I completed the dungeon and now able to do WT3.

I´m located in germany. Woke up, startet the game, teleportet to another region, Loading screen, crash…

Still not fixed for me

1 Like

It seems that Patch 1.4.0b eliminated crashes in my case. A few hours of continuous play and 0 Fenreis Error.

My issue since Friday last week is that loading times got so excessive that I often get windows telling me game has stopped responding.

My time to load into game from character select is around 2-3 minutes. Teleporting from open world to town can take over 30 seconds and part of that is looping the teleport sound before loading screen even comes up. Also I have 30-60 second loading times for Pit.

Last problem is lag freezes on helltides and world bosses. Example: last world boss I did I froze when there was 19 seconds for the boss to spawn, then caught up after boss had been active 5 seconds, finally 3 seconds after I froze again for 15 seconds.

Looks like turning off the cross network settings fixed the loading issue,

Update: Above step did not fix the issue after all, now most loading times end up in disconnect or total freeze

2 Likes

Was playing normal since today, the game CRASHED Blue screened Ran out of Memory my pc 2 times … I playing other games and monitoring and its ok.

I7 6700k
32Gb Ram
Nvme
etc etc

1 Like

I cant keep it up anymore… the crashes are so unreal, every 5 mins i crashed. do HT halfway, i crashed, do NM dungeon halfway i crashed… doing Pit halfway crashed…

they asked me to put this report as talking to someone technical, so here you go, please someone, look into this…

1446364B-1E80-442F-85CD-A37E120DE6D4
E85685D8-E6E9-4355-80CB-37A60F489640
00494053-C7ED-4F96-8800-06A3450E8673