Game causes home network to crash

Sounds crazy, but for some odd reason the game is causing my entire home network to crash.

im running 1 gig internet, to a new docsis 3 modem, then to eero wifi 6e pro router/mesh network.

When i try to play, ill get disconnected after a few minutes. I would have assumed it was just the servers, however i noticed the red lights on my wifi router meaning that the entire home network is out.(all devices on network lose internet) I can repeat this bug/incompatibility at will. Finally i gave up.

this is a difficult/complex issue, and i do not expect any answers. For example, the Game could be exposing a rare flaw/bug in the router hardware, software or firmware. Or the traffic from the game/server could be getting flagged by my isp for some unusual behavior. So not a easy fix and notneasy to track down, and nothing the end user can do about it.

just bringing awareness to it.

What i want to know is if anyone else has had this happen. Next time you get dc’d from the game, check to see if your internet is still working.

for now i had to give up on playing, and am wondering if ill even be able to play at release.

11 Likes

I’m getting this same issue.

My character is able to move around but I can’t interact (use abilities, change equipment etc.). When this happens all connection on all other devices locks up. If I then go to the game tab and “leave game” there is a 30s or so delay, it exits to the character select screen and at that moment web pages etc load as if connection to the whole home network is restored.

I played both the beta and server slam and never had this issue. Same hardware setup throughout.

2 Likes

Same here, we have this problem in 2 betas we post about it and never get an anwser

1 Like

What the… i have same issue also. I through it was my internet but yes same problem. 1 day ago happened 2 times… Upload and download directly is cutted. While in game… My internet never disconnect about 3-5 months… only in this game happened… but how it could be ??? sounds crazy yes…

1 Like

Same for me, strange bcoz everything was fine for me during all the beta tests

1 Like

Not d4 but “rocket league” was doing that for me crashing home network. mine turned out be a “windows time sync” issue. so check your clocks maybe :slight_smile:

This is an interesting one.

Can you all share what routers you are connecting to with the PC playing the game?

Brand and model, and if its an ISP let me know through who please.

Network traffic encryption can require your system clock to be correct. Often it will allow for a small offset, but if your time zone is set incorrectly it can throw your time off. And some encryptions will boink if this happens.

Banking sites for example.

So make sure your time is set correct. May need to check the time set on the router as well.

I run a DVR camera system here. And once in a great while, it actually causes my network to go nuts and to fix it I have to power it off and back on… So its not out of the realm that something on the network is having issues with D4 traffic.

This could be causing to a lesser degree, those with bad rubberbanding issues.

2 Likes

I’m using a Zyxel 7101 5G router, because I’m rural. Also, my issue is on the xbox, not PC.

While I got plenty disconnects during the beta and server slam, I never had this specific issue of it locking up the rest of the home network when it did.

I’m using Amazon eero’s, and while i have a gaming pc, i was playing diablo 4 on my xbox series x.
And yes the time and date is set properly on everything i have, I sadly pay too much attention to little details like that.

also one of the first things i double checked, as im aware of time mismatch sometimes causing issues with various crap.

I notice the same behavior.
The game is creating a lot of network traffic, please check in task manager when running the game.

Still same Problem 10 Times today in between 15-75 minutes

I am experiencing the same issue. I am on PC windows 11 with a netgear xr1000 router. I am on ethernet and my wife is on wifi.

This has happened several times between yesterday and today. It happens only when my wife and I are playing at the same time.

This doesnt happen with any other game and has started only when we both started playing diablo 4.

It is 100% easy to recreate just have 2 pc on the same router/modem and play for over an hour while watching some streams. Then all of a sudden diablo 4 and your stream will freeze. Diablo 4 will DC (cause of no internet detected) and then as soon as D4 DCS stream and interent go back to normal.

Please let me know if you need mire details. I am 99% positive diablo 4 is pushing too much data through the network and causing this issue.

Just so you understand networking a bit.

Your router is capable of support WAY more traffic than your ISP can send back and forth between just you and the rest of the planet.

In other words, its not the amount of traffic that’s causing this issue, but some sort of traffic type.

I mean, I can play the game fine on an 8MB DSL connection. 8MB. And its not even taxing it.

My router is capable of supporting up to 2.5GB on just incoming internet port alone. So is the desktop.

So, its not a matter of amount.

Its a matter of some routers in certain configs not liking the traffic. Simple as that.

As I noted earlier, I have this 4 camera DVR system. Every so often, it glitches. When it does, it breaks my network. I have to hard reboot the DVR to fix it. Its a cheap unit, piece of junk really.

Kinda similar in effect, but completely different cause.

Just trying to ensure you understand the difference is all.

My network here is complicated. And multi-layered. And so far, has no issues.

I run two internet ISPs. Starlink is our main provider. And I’m feeding 3 different buildings with it, across one large property with wireless bridges, individual routers at each location with their own network, and a controller network with fail over to the 8MB DSL. All that.

And able to play D4 just fine from all 3. Not really seeing excessive traffic, I can live monitor all activity on my network, by device and connection.

Same issue. I can play between 15-60 minutes before the game crashes due to network error. About 50% of the time when this happens, my network ethernet adapter (Realtek) does a reset and I lose all network capability briefly. Other devices on the network stay alive, so it’s not a total network reset.

On a Google Mesh network. Rock solid. Hard LAN cable connected. Never had any issues until now.

I’m having the exact same issue. All of my friends games are fine. My literal next door neighbor and I are playing. He doesn’t have an issue and my network is constantly being crashed when playing. I lose all connection and only with this game. Never happened during the beta or server test.

2 Likes

Same issue as well and if for a fact isn’t a hardware issue. Played both the open beta and server slam and had virtually zero issues or anything. I had my router upgraded not even a month ago. So I am praying this gets fixed before full release.

1 Like

Maybe I have a solution, yesterday I disabled upnp in my router settings, also switched the ethernet cable to another lan input on the router, since then I can play without any dc’s
I have tp-link archer mr600 router

Similar-but-different issue - 2 PC players connected via Ethernet, and we’ve bricked one Spectrum modem and potentially damaged another.

Details in this post

Woke up this morning and the second modem is back offline, so we’ll see if it’ll recover in like 20-30 minutes or if it’s also bricked.

Since 2 Hours we have no Disconnect first time ever that we can play longer then 2 hours

Same issue. Home network goes down after random ammounts of playtime.

The wifi stays active, so its causing the PC (wired connection) to disconnect from the network somehow.