Diablo 4 community managers and twitter

Ok, until then I’ll just criticize the awful policies and jobs they do. Agreed?

2 Likes

No, but that’s kind of the point of the CM isn’t it. To manage the community - including, but not limited to, updating and directing the narrative of how things should be looking. No PR is the worst PR and that’s kind of the point here. This is a vacuum right now.

1 Like

You did not read what I quoted from your post clearly.

Let me add some emphasis on the relevant part:

It’s a community manager’s mission to grow a community, make it the best place it can possibly be, and ensure their voice is heard by the wider development team.

Toxic forum plus blue post = chaotic community

Nowhere in your quoted job description does it mention responding to forum posts. It specifically says communicating updates which they do, even here on the forums with sticky threads and News/Blog updates.

2 Likes

bigger reach on Twitter. It just is.

1 Like

Damn man, I’m serious. Don’t do this quality trolling for free. You have real talent.

We’ve gotten two fireside chats since the game’s launch that he’s directed and he’s actively updating the community through tweets.

Sounds like you guys have unrealistic expectations for what a community manager does.

2 Likes

I agree no one should be verbally abused. But who is verbally abusing them? I am not I haven’t really seen anything other than stating the facts. Adam is doing a poor job of being a good community manager.

Someone here has to have talent and it isn’t gonna come from a blue or green poster.

Can you imagine trying to “manage” this herd of angry cats? I don’t envy the dude. Tough job.

1 Like

I agree, so why not make an official community manager diablo 4 twitter account that we can follow instead of one full of what Adam likes from Costco?

Dude, have you seen these forums?

3 Likes

go cry in a cornr u smoothbrain

/s

2 Likes

Yep. They caused the toxicity to begin with by

• being completely tone-deaf when it comes to the wellbeing of Diablo games (started in D3 and got worse).
  • completely ignoring 99.9% of legitimate constructive & useful feedback, PTR after PTR after PTR.
  • zero communication about anything other than PR trash.

Yes. They are to blame for every bit of it.

7 Likes

Yes, I have. But the argument that they should entirely ignore the forum for personal attacks is weak. Moderate those people. No one is saying Adam needs to comment on every forum post or every angry forum post. But the truth is he responds to no one.

If it was my job? yeah. I do it for free so obviously I’d do it for money.

And I’d be much better at it, too.

1 Like

Yeah? Prove it. Show us. Make me beeeelieve.

Here’s the proof:

I’m talking to you and they’re not.

2 Likes

Yes.
Yes.
No one is asking anyone to have to respond to personal attacks our things that break the TOS.
We know you would not because you are not a very nice person.

1 Like

The Devs are very passionate and it is fantastic to talk directly to them. Watch them get really into it explaining the nuances of a system they are working on, how they think it is going to to impact the game in fun ways, etc. Listening to stories about how parts of the game were created, the inspiration, the challenges, etc. WHY some features exist they way they do. Devs are not allowed to post here for the most part. They keep them limited to organized interviews and events.

It IS one of the issues and I have talked to the CMs about it, in person, across multiple Blizzard games. They have no choices except to follow the policies in place and those are very restrictive. What they WANT to do, and what they are allowed to do, are two different things.

So yeah, Devs are not generally allowed to post here, or reddit, etc. CMs are likewise VERY limited now to approved content like patch notes, hotfixes, and approved statements.

I miss the days of just chatting about prepping for season start, or fav char skills, or whatever. Of course, then people were mad the CM was talking fluff instead of addressing a Dev issue they had no control or info on.

The whole thing is frustrating but I think Blizz could do better.

I have not died posting in Green for 10 years on Diablo forums… and people mostly don’t have a “unicorn” reaction to seeing green text because it is common enough. They know I don’t work there, don’t speak for them, and can’t change anything so beating on me won’t accomplish much.

4 Likes

18 years ago when the forums were the only place to communicate, sure.

But as I’ve already indicated, there are several other ways of conveying information to a community. We’ve gotten two developer streams since the game’s launch, more are likely to come, and the developers are actively engaging with people on Twitter.

To me, it sounds like you people have a very archaic, outdated idea of what community managers are supposed to do. We live in 2023, not 2003.

2 Likes