Diablo 4 Beta Feedback - 40 Hours Later. Diablo 4 is an MMO. Allow Solo Mode!

Here’s some feedback after Completing the Campaign, Slaying a World Boss and trying 3 different classes.

The Good

• The return of a Dark/Grim atmosphere is in the right direction
  • The combat is smooth and fun
  • The side quests suits the story and the world building
  • The voice acting & Cutscene is still world class
  • Spell effects looks stunning
  • The roll function is a good addition giving players more option during battles.
  • Item sorting is a welcome QOL addition
  • Random “Butcher” Spawns are exciting and fun
  • Story. Lores. Easter Eggs all over the place

The Bad

• Trying to oversimplified Diablo 4 to cater for casuals. I think Blizzard over did this.
  • The UI. This needs to be improve. It’s not intuitive
  • Please also standardized the Fonts.
  • Some screen tear in large towns. I’m running on a RTX3070. It should not happen.
  • Audio Story Item drops/trigger around a bunch of enemies. You want players to listen to the lore. Why does this triggers/located with a horde of enemies? We can only hear grunts of the enemies and not the lore. One example is where we see Rathma’s vision, it triggers when we are fighting a large horde and we can barely listen to the audio.
  • Character customization. There are not enough options of hair. If there is an option to customize the eye color of the character, the UI should zoom in the face.
  • Allow us to have an option to enable the skill tree to be full screen every time. If possible, pause the battle when we pull the skill tree out.
  • It maybe due to this Beta is limited to Level 25 but Barbarian is very restricted. Being a melee class and not having enough mobility skills or options is tough.
  • A lot the skill in the tree is not meaningful/strong enough to even consider. This opinion might change when we have more playing time to test around builds.
  • Legendary items don’t feel legendary.
  • More towns need to have their own “Storage Box”
  • Need an option to go out of dungeon instantly after defeating boss instead of walking back out or teleport to town.

The Ugly

• Diablo 4 is not a MMO. We do not want other players to jump in our battle Events (Not World Boss) in the map. This breaks the immersion and we do not want powerful players to one shot our enemies. Only allow party members to join in.
  • A clear attempt to try pull Diablo towards MMO game like mechanics which is clearly not suitable. Example, having multiple players fighting for the same resources/soul collection in the map.
  • The dungeons design are very repetitive and the bosses are too similar. This makes the game feels stale and boring fast. D4’s typical dungeon usually have us running around to find boxes/orbs/keys to open the Dungeon Boss Door. There should be more variety and not sticking to this same formula.

My main gripe for Diablo 4 is having other players join in the Event or Dungeons. A lot of people here, states that there is no Cons for that and having a lot more people is fun/better. Everybody gets loots so there is no issue.

However, there is the excitement of battle and role play perspective. If you have a random strong player one shot enemies, it takes away the excitement of battle. It also take away the immersion where you are suppose to be in an adventure to fight of evil.

Some players want to have other players and some don’t. Give us an option to only allow Friends or Guild Members to join event or just play Solo.

Not every game needs to be an MMO. Keep Diablo as an ARPG. We have WOW as an MMO.

Recommendation to Blizzard Dev if you were to ever read this. Delay the game release. The game is very rough. Take another year if you have to. Don’t repeat Cyberpunk 2077 mistake

46 Likes

I’m not going to address all your points as they seem insignificant. But I’ll indulge you a little.

• I saw no performance issues whatsoever and no screen tearing 3090ti. The game ran without flaw, at 144fps everything maxed out and I was running another game on the background.
  • Yes we want an MMO people have been screaming for this for years. Which is why Diablo 4 has more MMO features.
  • Yes we want MMO Mechanics and Content. The Fact that Diablo is an ARPG doesn’t really change that fact, If anything Lost Ark has shown this really works, and Diablo 4 borrows a lot from Lost Ark.

If you don’t like it, then do you there are plenty of other games to play.

4 Likes
  • Need an option to go out of dungeon instantly after defeating boss instead of walking back out or teleport to town.

This does exist - if you bring up the map and scroll back to the dungeon entrance, you can click the exit to port out.

7 Likes

You can also [E] and use the option on the wheel to teleport to the outside of the dungeon.

3 Likes
  • Just because there was no performance issue for you, doesn’t mean it does not happen to others. There are a few people in the forum with high spec PC having the issue.
  • Who are we ? How many do you represent ? Unless they are specific data/numbers backing it up. This is all speculative.
  • If Diablo 4 was advertise as an MMO, i would not have per-ordered tbh.

This is a feedback forum. We all have differences of opinion. It’s fine to differ in opinion but get down of your high horse thinking that your opinion is more valuable than others.

But yes i agree, if this game is not for me i would just refund it. I’m not here to hate on D4; just providing feedback.

11 Likes

Where have you been for the last 7 or so years? Why do think Path of Exile has been so popular? Blizzard literally borrowed everything from Path of Exile and Lost Ark.

And you pre-ordered without getting information about the game? They have said Diablo would be going live service since 2019.

You’re pre order does not affect what Blizzard has envisioned over the 6 year development cycle. You can cancel your pre order at any time.

Do realize, had I not dug your thread from the bottom of the forums. It would still be at 0 replies dead at the bottom. Nobody cares my bro.

P.S. Don’t let the door hit you on the way out.

1 Like

If you are wanting some sort of, “my party member tags the event and now nobody else can impact it”, expect to have people with characters designed for maximum movement griefing you by zipping in as you are one of your party members nears an event to steal it from you.

I can only agree that a solo toggle for the overworld is really needed for this game.
The beta really suffered from the overcrowded MMO-lite experience.

Yeah, game ran poorly. Had a ton of memory leak crashes.

8 Likes

The world was far from overcrowded, you did not see that many ppl. Nothing but exageration.

2 Likes

Live Service does not mean MMO. Please get your facts right Live Service means game get content updates after release.

You can have a solo/rpg/offline game with Live Service as well. It’s two different thing.
It’s a matter of genre and preferences. Diablo are traditionally ARPG and not MMO.

Looking at your response, you must be a kid. Hence, it would be pointless to have a proper discord with your temperament. If you cannot deal with people that have different opinion as yours, you should not be in a forum. It’s fine to differ in opinion, but trying act that you are superior than others just show you have a self esteem issue.

Anyway. whether i refund or not will not affect you or Blizzard much. This is just personal preferences and review. You can stop answering and reading it if it’s too much for you. I also do not mind/care if the thread have 0 replies.

2 Likes

Very well spoken, agreed.

3 Likes

Maybe you didnt, but I saw lots of people in the overworld. Had events where there must have been 8+ players in them. Not even counting the world bosses.
And even outside of events it was very common to have other players pass by.

Indeed.

2 Likes

I must have missed this function during my play. Thanks for the tip

People need to stop using the term “MMO” for games that aren’t even mmos. Just because you might have a small handful of people in the same area as you doesn’t make it like an mmo. Sounds like you never played a true mmo.

“Ope! There are 4 people around. I guess this game is now an mmo.” lmao

1 Like

This is also one of my concern if Diablo 4 is heading towards the MMO direction. It’s too early to tell but i have a feeling you are right.

In one of the more recent dev streams, they mentioned that the game dynamically adjusts the number of players you’ll see depending on where you are. There will be more players in social spaces but far less out in the world in order to preserve the ambience they’re trying to create for the game.

They may still need to tweak that a bit, but I didn’t think it was overcrowded, personally. Though I wouldn’t mind running into fewer players in the world, if they tightened it up a bit more.

1 Like

I’m not the only one with this perspective. FExtraLife have played enough MMO to have some sort of “expert” opinion on this. You don’t have agree with me.

This is YOUR experience. I experienced a lot of players, especially at the world boss, multiple times.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day. Millions play and will continue going forward, meaning absolutely nothing that a handful share the same thought patterns as you and your favorite content creator. It’s not that deep.

1 Like

I had experience 4 players fighting in the Open Map Event. So it was done in an instant and i don’t feel any satisfaction in the event. Some people like this and some don’t.

Many others and I don’t want that. Please don’t assume what “we” want. The devs should add a single player option so everybody can get their preferred experience.

9 Likes