CPU Temps Randomly Fluctuating

Same issue here.
Ryzen 7900X3D
360mm Watercooler

Temperature spikes for 1 or 2 seconds, from 50c to 80c, fans rises suddenly, and after 1 seconds, everything back to the normal. Prime92, including with avx instruction, or any other stress test, the CPU runs about 55c at full load.

Blizzard, definitely, need to fix it asap.

yup, got the same problem as you. i replaced my cpu fans, added 4 more in addition to be safe and even had to change my cpu to a ryzen 7 5800x just because d4 fried my old cpu.

i’m playing since the pre-release and never had a problem that bad before. when the game came out, my temperatures where in the 60’s and skyrocketed about a month ago to over 90 and it shut my pc down multiple times…

still weird that gpu doesn’t heat up that badly and the problem almost only comes with people with ryzen for cpu :thinking:

For those who have 5900X, 5950X, 5800X3D, 7900X, 7950X. Just cap your thermal limit to 57 or 60. The engine will still give you 180+ fps without it spiking your cpu up and breaking your browser or every other app running in your PC.

It was way worse for me since my Curve Optimizer is fully optimized up to -25 for some cores giving the go to boost it higher and higher. Just cap thermal throttle limit in bios for now.

1 Like

Brother. Thermal throttle it at 55 or 60c for now in the BIOS. youre not gonna lose performance. i dont want your chip to die and lose years because blizz cant program properly

1 Like

this is annoying, my temps are not bad as others but i went from 45-50 degrees to 55-60 randomly goind to 62 and went back to 55

I can exactly reproduce the issue on my Ryzen 5 5600X:

• Running Diablo 4,
  • During the game opening Task Manager: CPU Load is around 8 - 20%
  • Switch back to the game, keep Task Manager in the background
  • Open any menu (Character Screen, Main Menu, etc.) and switch back to Task Manager
  • Now the CPU Load increases to + 60%, fans spin up excessively due to rapid exceeding thermal boundaries.

I advice the developers to look into the processes behind this issue. Its a game, not a benchmark! Gaming with Diablo 4 possibly reduces the lifetime of the PC components due to massive thermal changes.

2 Likes

Bumping this one again

Same boat here.
5900X, no PBO with a brand new 280mm AIO (Liquid Freezer II), I have temperature spike that goes around 85°C for a few seconds.
I thought that it was the motherboard (B550-I Strix) that had a way too agressive boosting behaviour but I changed it and same problem. Reinstalling windows, same problem.
Changing AIO, same problem.
This behaviour is only happening in D4, i have no problem on other heavy games like CB2077, Hunt Showdown ect…

Those spike are periodic? If you record temperature from HWinfo64 and plot everything on a graph you can see it clearly.

I was wondering who of you guys also encounter the spikes during the startup of the game? That’s when I usually see a first spike (apart from the random ones in-game). The Diablo title screen sends the CPU to about 85°C and then I get another spike around 75-80°C for a a few seconds during character select.

Something is really messed up and appears they cannot fix it.

Ever since this game was released there have been posts and posts with thousands of views and hundreds of comments. There is obvious issue. I personally tried 100 things by now.

I am just wondering if I can find a way to undervolt and obstruct the game from using the power source beyond reasonable means. I literally never have issues when I am not on plug. If I am, ‘‘bad’’ textures or whatever (inventory tab) spike the performance far beyond whats needed, there is Vram leakage, fans go BRRR to keep up bam you get an error.

You need to choose your hardware more carefully next time. Choose something that can work like this out of the box.

What I meant to say is that my CPU/GPU start to use much more power as the game creates the need to do so.

Imagine having stable temps, everything running smooth and the moment you open the inventory tab, fans start to go BRRRRR, VRAM usage starts to get several times higher, like I am rendering or smt.

I am not an expert but I see this is issue with so many people on this forum that I cant believe they haven’t acknowledged it… also I am not an expert but playing other much more demanding games without issue ?? hmm

It’s not a problem with the game. My fans start to go BRRRRRRRR when the load is at the Fan-Stop triggering mark(60°C). There is no big load, no big load drops, just BRRRRRRRRR from 0 to 1800 rpm and back and so on a few dozen times a minute. It’s not a problem with some game or app, it’s a firmware/drivers problem.

i had similar issue first time last night with the ‘‘Ryzen 5 5600x’’, never had an issue with my temperature before and I didn’t need to check the temperature values in any game till today. I don’t know exactly what the temperatures was but pc restarted itself and showed the overheated cpu message. I have been playing this game since the first pre order closed beta, its just sad all these people here trying to draw attention to this problem and still no solution.

Bumping this one again

Random temperature spikes with modern AMD CPUs are expected. There is a temperature and frequency spike even sampling the temperature. This is what happens if you push 20 watts through something smaller than a baby’s finger.

Diablo IV schedules some sort of work load, the scheduler increases frequency and so the CPU core power consumption spikes. Due to energy density this causes a large increase in temperature. These bursts last as long as there is work load, and can be measured in milliseconds even as the CPU is efficiently moving heat away from the core area. As long as the core is not permanently at a hard thermal throttle temperature, it is working correctly and should sustain such workloads for years easilly.

If you do not like this behaviour due to fan control logic, you can try reducing the maximum boost frequency of the core. Most of the voltage, and as such power usage, is for the last few hundred MHz of clock. This is why single threaded workloads can run CPUs hotter than all core power limited work loads, because the power limit implicitly causes each core to run at a lot lower power usage than single threaded workloads and so cooler due to the lower energy density, assuming the cooling solution can handle the power dissipation.

65C my *ss. Yeah 80C is normal for 5900X with PBO using NH-D15. Mine runs lower, but I seriously doubt you have my airflow as it is LOUD due to me having only high rev (3000+ RPM) IPC Noctua fans.

You can delay the rev up/down in bios to mitigate the annoying sound of them revving up and down. You can also reduce max RPM@temp if you connected it correctly to PWM.
If you’re mainly annoyed by the rev up and down over and over, it’s the delay you need to increase.

we are playing for months now and it is season 1. Isn’t it time to get to these problems/fix or at least acknowledge it Blizzard ?!?!?!?!?!

Nah there won’t be any fix, instead Blizzard mods will just come in and close the thread as their support is beyond garbage which happened to the vendor issue probably related to the temp flux in this thread, after over 30k views. They try to silence rather than fix, great great job Blizzard, same old shiz, different day:

having the same issue. ryzen 7800X3D, noctua NH-D15, average temp 45-55°C, but every 30-60 seconds after some gameplay, the fans ramp up FULLSPEED and the temp reaches up to 81 degrees. meanwhile the cpu usage does not change. cant be healthy for cpu i guess. newest agesa 1.0.0.7b non beta bios, newest chipset drivers, i mean its this game that makes the cpu go crazy, with a max power consumption of 40watts.

bandaid fix by capping fps? im playing at 1080p capped at 90 fps.