CPU Temps Randomly Fluctuating

Hmm, that’s unfortunate. I haven’t had the spikes come back, thankfully, but it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s fixed completely and there may still be some underlying issue.

Have you tried any other DLSS setting (Balanced, Performance, Ultra Performance), or even disabling it just as a test?

I’ve done every combination of in-game setting that I could think of at this stage.

2 Likes

The resolution we play at seem to have very big impact on heat.
May i ask what resolution you play at ?

I tried this. While it did not prevent the crashing from happening, which I am fairly sure is not due to overheating on my end, it did lower my overall CPU temp.

Before this change, my CPU temp was around 60c while playing, with some crazy spike to 80c like many others have reported.

After the change, the temp was around 47c-50c with the “spike” going to 57c.

Other than the lower temperatures, I did not notice any adverse change in the game itself. Everything was running smoothly as before. I keep it locked to 75 FPS on High settings.

2 Likes

Are you using Asus GameFirst VI application or any apps that apply high priority?

If you are, go to Settings on the bottom left and try turning off Auto High Performance Gaming. Also, try going to the Dashboard tab on the right. Click Diablo 4 priority arrows and change from Extreme to High (or a lower priority) setting.

This might help with the temps.

I do not use any Asus software or own any of their hardware. I am not running anything of a similar nature.

1 Like

I’m on an intel i9 10900 and yeah mine has been hitting over 100 C when playing.

Right now while trying to play it’s so jerky I’m almost throwing up.

my resolution is 5120x1440p

I temporarily fixxed this using the powerplan method by reducing the maximum CPU state to 99% preventing it to unnecesary boost cores. As for performance drops, obviously I lost like 15 fps from 144 to more or less 130-135 with a bit of more load on the GPU side.
For others like me, You can make a windows shortcut to switch powerplan faster directly from desktop or taskbar by creating a shortcut and addressig it as: “C:\Windows\System32\powercfg.exe /setactive (PowerPlan GUID)”. Powerplan GUID is an alphanumerical code that it’s different for everyone. You can find your GUID for your desired powerplan in the command propt by typing powercfg –list and press enter. It will show you all the code for the different powerplan. just copy the code for the one you want to make the shortcut and paste it in the shortcut address. For my personal use, I modified the max CPU state to 99% in the “Energy saver” power plan and made a shortcut to switch to it, and then I made a shortcut for the Best performance powerplan. Now I can easily switch between them with one click. I hope it helps with your QoL.

1 Like

Yea that’s the reason why the heat spike.
Any setting above 60fps on 1440p resolutions seem to make both GPU and CPU run super hot for some reason.
I have the same problem so i solved it by limiting my CPU to 99% like the user Ziljin mentioned and capping fps to 60 when running 1440p.
Opening Inventory and hovering over items and opening Vendors / Occultist and the Jeweler etc, still makes the GPU run wild though.

1 Like

Bumping this one again

Bottom link looks more for SSDs and loading times, but maybe this future patch will help with idle CPU spikes.

Search for link “PCGamer Diablo 4 team confirms direct storage isnt in the game but we are planning on enabling it in the future”

I have the same issue with a 5800X3D. CPU usage is LOW around 20-30% but occasionally the temperature will spike to 80-90 degrees for around 5-10 seconds with my fans going CRAZY. During this spike my CPU usage remains low.

This spike also happens when I am opening the game as others reported. I also noticed it happening when opening my skill tree, inventory or talking to vendors. It also happens randomly when I am simply running around in game. There does not seem to be any correlation with what is happening on the screen, besides the examples I cited.

I have tried all these solutions people have suggested, sadly none of them resolved the problem. Also seems to affect AMD users predominantly. I had this issue since the game launched. I assumed by now it would be fixed, but apparently not.

Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

What do you set the Minimum state at?

Hey! What do you mean by minimum state?

I am referring to the Minimum Processor State under Advanced Power Settings in Windows.

They said they set the Maximum Processor State to 99% and I was just curious what they have the minimum set to.

My 5950X has never met a foe like Diablo 4. This beast has CO -10 and -15 on my first to fourth fastest cores and -25 on the other 12.

I fixed the CPU spikes of this unoptimized, win borderless only game by just limiting my temp at 56c. Lost 150 on Cinebench but everything else is the same - I’ll probably pay less on electricity now. 3440x1440p 144hz display btw. And I’m still getting a constant 150+ fps on High.

1 Like

Bumping this one again

1 Like

This is driving me nuts for days. Eventually removed my Liquid Cooler (360) and repasted it, checked if it’s properly attached or anything. While it wasn’t for nothing and I get lower temps now overall, the spikes still continue. I have temps between 50 - 80° degree ingame = same fps / just random spikes out of nowhere. no matter if I cap @100 or 144fps. DLSS off /on, reflex on/off, all the same thing. no idea what’s the cause. upgraded from a i9900 to 7800X3D a week ago, same issue on both systems but with the AMD its happens more often I’d say. GPU (a 4090) is @50°…
I hope the devs look into it…

Well you can alleviate the issue by going into energy plan settings in system control, click on balanced or whatever you have ticked, go advanced options, scroll to processor settings and set 99% for max performance state for processor. This practically wont let the cpu enter boost mode and should therefore reduce temps by a good margin. Your cpu should be powerful enough to still deliver a proper performance. This setting is system wide tho, so thats a little annoying.