Add additional Ultimate button

It sounds interesting for sure, but I wonder how it would balance. Also as is with skill points I can pick if I want to invest 3 into ultimate and its upgrades. If their was an ultimate button I know 3 of my SP have to go to that and while it isn’t much I’d feel forced into it since I have a dedicated slot. Would it be that way or would that add ultimate specific skill points?

Also currently every class has 6 ability classifications including ultimate (outside of necro due to how minions work). Which classification are you doubling? Would they need to add another skill classification outside of basic, core, def etc.? Would it be better to have 5 selectable skills and make the dedicated to ultimate?

I’m personally good with how it is, but am open to it if done right.

They would have to rebalance the entire game, as our characters would all be more powerful. They’d also have to restructure the skill points gained to accommodate everyone suddenly having one more skill that wants 7 points.

Not going to happen at launch. Maybe when the first expansion comes out if it extends the skill tree or something.

Just an extra button. We don’t need one specifically for ultimate button.

1 Like

This topic has been beaten to death. Yes, we need a separate button and no, I don’t even cared for ultimate skill because of how bad it is. It’s slow and take away one spot of a crucial survival skill IMO.

4 Likes

If you really wanted your ult and thought that it was powerful it would warrant you swapping it out for one of your other 6 abilities. The game is balanced around 6 and you are meant to make choices. I hope they never expand the skill slots.

1 Like

Here are 3 threads that has had good discussions on both sides of the 6/7 skill slot argument:

We’ve made some good points there. Personally, I am in favour of 7 slots. Reasons are given in these threads.

3 Likes

And builds that don’t spec into an ultimate? They’re just screwed with one button/ability less than builds that do take an ultimate? Every build when then spec into an ultimate, because you’d be stupid not to, and that would impact build variety.

how is it a problem to spend a single point on a skill? Having the extra button would help the no-ult builds more than the ult builds. Just think about it; an “ult build” gets buffed with a basic skill, while a “no-ult build” gets buffed with an ult.

It’s definitely a bigger problem that ultimates are either not worth the slot, or too powerful and necessary (therefore replacing a button in those “no-ult builds”)

This would be a good change.

There needs to be cause and effect between builds. Is the ult strong enough to support your build or not? Just because it doesn’t mean that every build will want it. The 6 slots are perfectly fine.

1 Like

If we’re being honest, the same applies to literally everything in a video game. The reason it exists is because either ‘people wanted it’ or doesn’t exist is because ‘people didn’t want it’.

Games are purely for entertainment. Someone ‘wanting something’ is a sufficient reason for something to exist.

They’re looking into adding a gem tab… why? Because people wanted it.

They’re making adjustments to dungeons… why? Because people wanted them.

As to the feedback itself… I definitely feel like certain classes are more button-burdened than others, and I feel like some classes may simply not have room for ultimates while also making functional builds. As a result, I do kind of agree that an ultimate skillslot might help level the playing build between more button heavy classes and classes with a bit more button freedom.

2 Likes

I can see your point but we have no ideal how much cooldown reduction we will have by endgame. It may very well be that will be using these skills more and more often at higher levels and better gear.

Change it now?
I don’t think they could even do it, it would have to change the character’s entire progression and damage structure.
Maybe if they find it viable, they can do it in some season. but I find it difficult.
For me the way it is, it’s excellent I just want to play soon I can’t wait…

I would prefer in a future expansion for them to give us 2 more skill slots.

I think builds are too cookie cutter if they are all forced to have ult. It’s much more interesting with extra skill slots you can have anything in.

Add 2 more skill slots in first expansion I think is best thing to do. I think it would be the best way to increase power in line with what players want and feedback given.

3 Likes

Explain how an entire game would have to be rebalanced because you have an ultimate only button? It’s hard to say what the end game brings but in the beta. The Ultimates to me clearly weren’t worth it. In certain situations yes, I suppose they did ok. In overall performance it’s better to not spec into them. I just see the ultimates being a waste of space unless they’re given a major buff or it’s own skill button.

Not wanting an additional button to press? That’s kind of a weak argument to not have an additional ability to use, plan and adapt to situations. Sounds more like a lazy response…

From playing Diablo 4 the 6 skills itself was very underwhelming and the ultimate abilities felt extremely weak. That’s why I wanted to give my feedback to improve the ultimates. I guess we will see how they perform in the end game.

3 Likes

Chances are this would make end game balancing a total nightmare , let’s not get into pvp … nah leave it the way it is. The game has enough broken dmg outputs atm lol.

Some ults may need buffing, other than that I think it’s fine as it is.

Double checks patch notes: still no extra buttons.

No needed, The game is balanced for 6 buttons.
Learn to choose, if you want one, give up another skill.

Because you have another skill. That opens up even more build options as well as balancing the game around the fact that EVERYONE would be using an ultimate. Boss fights would be balanced around the expectation of Ultimate usage, because they know everyone would have it available. Cooldowns would change because it’s 7 skills instead of 6.

You won’t even get an option not to use one. You would be expected to use an ultimate of some sort and the game would be balanced around using ultimates.

Unless you think the game shouldn’t be rebalanced and it’s just a simple add. That’d just be clear power creep before the game even launches.

NO, not every build use Ultimate skill.

1 Like