A chunky druid isn't an archetypal fantasy

This is an important topic/thread for numerous reasons and I’ve seen others that touch on the same issue. The druid was maybe my favorite class in D2, I was so sad when I learned he wouldn’t be back for D3, was ecstatic when I found out he would be back for D4, and disappointed all over again when I saw what they had done to the design.

There are two major reasons I think this character’s bodyshape is a mistake, I’ve seen variations of these ideas mentioned but wanted to put a finer point on them, respectively.

1. This stylistic choice flies in the face of what would make sense for a person who was living a hunter-gatherer lifestyle like we pretty much all assume the druid would, who then spends his free time transforming into massive carnivores… this person wouldn’t have an ounce of fat, so it’s completely senseless.

2. This character design is antithetical of the idea of playing out a fantastical archetype, which supposedly is at the heart of Blizzard’s character design philosophy. As a person who has struggled with bodyweight for years in the real world, I can tell you I have never entertained the fantasy of being heavy. Making a player model that is overweight in your game doesn’t make the character “cute”, cuddly", “body-positive” or otherwise “woke”.

I greatly appreciate the steps Blizzard has taken to allow for more inclusive character creation—if you want to make body type an area of customization, make it customizable. Please don’t handcuff people to a fantasy that few—if any—players share.

…and I say that with genuine and incredible respect for all of the other work that has clearly gone into this game. Thank you for your consideration; I greatly anticipate the release of the final game!

210 Likes

Overweight? Definitely not, look up the art. He is very muscular and broad like the barbarian, they come from the same population group after all.

54 Likes

I’ve examined the art at some length, and I’m hardly the only person to feel this way, based on community feedback. But I do appreciate that they come from the same bloodline as the barbarians and agree they also have muscle to them.

16 Likes

lol the druid is just big boned you so rude for thinking they fat :clown_face:

22 Likes

the druid is fat, and that is ok. Fat people should be included in games too.

Also, necro is a skinny legend. We have variety.

EDIT: people who think the barbarian is in peak physical form know very little about exercising. For every 1 Olympic champion that looks like the barb, there are 100+ that look like the other classes. Even in weightlifting, druid bodies are more common than barbarian bodies. Bodybuilders are trying to look pretty, not be actually strong; barbarian is literally beauty over function. Too bad instagram has warped so many people’s idea of what a healthy body looks like.

11 Likes

Where’s my scrawny nerd type with the giant glasses? Got to have every sterotype represented.

7 Likes

I would say necromancer is prolly the closest?

No… sadly it’s the “Frail Old Man” type.

2 Likes

Right here is where if they add body sliders or at least three body types we could satisfy a majority of players. One body type just falls short because it is normally not the body everyone would like. There is no one size fits all for character customization.

48 Likes

A thousand times yes.

17 Likes

Oh noes!!1 the druid’s a bear?! How does that make sense!

13 Likes

hes fat because he summons his own animals then eats them… very lore friendly…

LOL

19 Likes

IDK I think the male druid looks amazing. He’s built like a bear, and yes they have plenty of fat.

Honestly, Druid gives me Celtic tribal chieftain vibes. He’s big yes but still gives the look and vibes that he’s physically strong rather than just fat. All of the other classes have no or little body fat, it’s ok to have one class be larger.

I do think it would be awesome if we had more body types though, I love options!

22 Likes

I actually like the design of the Druid. Fits into the new gritty environment.

19 Likes

Thicc bears are definitely my archetypal fantasy.

15 Likes

Im skinny in real life and only play druid cause he is a fat chungo and I can’t wait to live my fetish in this game.

I love him so fat cuddly cozy hairy bear dude

7 Likes

Yeah I have no problem with it being an option. I would actually encourage that. I’m glad this has spurred conversation. : )

2 Likes

You realize that the druids and barbarians are closely related right?
From what I remember the first druids were barbarians

7 Likes

I agree with you that we should have body shape and size option, since we have character creation.

To me Druid just seems bulky but not overweight.

11 Likes

He comes from Barbarian stock, gorges on honey and berries, salmon and venison. Drinks wine by the cask, ale by the keg, and mead by the bucket full, and you think he’s going to be skinny? He’s basically a bear who never hibernates, and can shoot lightning bolts.

He’s awesome!

22 Likes