A chunky druid isn't an archetypal fantasy

I like the thick Druid. Felt good playing Druid in the previous beta.
My favorite character to play so far. Can’t wait to try again tomorrow!

6 Likes

100% agree. Great post. @Agremnar

6 Likes

In the ancient tome of the Druids, the Scéal Fada , it is written that Bul-Kathos, the great and ancient king of the Barbarian tribes, had a mysterious but trusted confidant, who was only referred to as Fiacla-Géar This man is sometimes described as Bul-Kathos’s close friend, and at other times, he is referred to as his brother. Whatever the source of their relationship, their bond was strong, and together they shared the secrets of the ancients: of the mysteries below the peaks of Mt Arreat, of the venerated task put to their people to protect those mysteries, and of the prophecies regarding the dark times ahead. They both agreed that, in order to fulfill their sacred trust, their people must devote themselves to nothing save that charge. However, they disagreed on exactly how the people could best do this. Bul-Kathos believed that only by bringing the tribes together and training them in strict martial discipline could the tribes faithfully concentrate on their goal for generations to come. Fiacla-Géar, on the other hand, believed that only through obtaining a spiritual oneness with the land they had sworn to protect could the people truly appreciate the importance of their role. Both agreed the other’s philosophy had merit, and so around the time Bul-Kathos united the tribes, Fiacla-Géar gathered together a small group consisting of the tribes’ greatest warrior-poets and shamans and mysteriously retreated into the forests surrounding the area known as Scosglen. There he and his people created the first of the Druid Colleges, huge mortar-less stone towers, covered in vines and safely hidden beneath the leafy canopies of the dense forests. They have dwelt there ever since, forging a new way of life for themselves. They created a new culture and language, cutting themselves off from their Barbarian cousins and their ways, vowing not to return to the Steppes of Mt. Arreat until the time of the Uileloscadh Mór, the final battle between the men of the world and the demons of the Burning Hells.

9 Likes

Thought so. So it shouldn’t be strange that they have similar bodies.

2 Likes

Body type seems right at home for being able to turn into a bear.

6 Likes

I honestly appreciate and understand where you are coming from (personally I love mead), but what you’re describing sounds like a viking lord…which is Scandinavian, not at all Celtic or druidic. Yes, bears engorge themselves during the spring and summer so that they can hibernate, but a druid isn’t doing that. If they wanted to call him a “Tempest Cleric” or something like that, then maybe?

Dude this is basicly Udyr in blizzard form. Udyr is a spirit shaman/druid enough said. not go eat some cake you and chunk up dad bods get the chicks.

1 Like

It’s Sanctuary, it has nothing to do with real world historical figures. Lore is pretty clear on it. Just because you have an image in your minds eye of what a druid should be, doesn’t make it any more correct than the games version. There are no Vikings, there are no Celts, these culture do not exist in Sanctuary.

I get you want the stereotypical “Celtic” druid, but since even the scholars who study antiquity don’t really know anything about the appearance or daily life of druids, we have zero idea what they were actually like. Maybe they were all upperclass lazy and well fed…

9 Likes

stunning and brave chunky who say NII

IT

alskdjhflaksjdhflaksjdhlfkjhasd

Reminds me of the Skellige druids Ermion & Gremist from the Witcher 3. Stout northerners that wear thick layers of cloth, leather, and fur.

BEARS NEED LOVE TOO!

p.s. Eww.

Aesthetics are in the eye of the beholder. I personally like the look of the Druid. Don’t take this game and its characters out of context and place them into culture wars of RL.

6 Likes

I get it and all but in Diablo the Druids are from Scosglen. Scosglen has a cold climate. A layer of body fat over all their muscle would help to keep them warm and would help to sustain them during times when food is scarce.

Personally i like the bigger, more rugged looking Druids.

I also think they avoided body scaling to minimize dev time spent ensuring all assets fit every possible body size with as minimal clipping as possible.

2 Likes

I like the design… And i played the frick out of druid on d2, is my favourite character… sooooo…

4 Likes

two major reasons I think this character’s bodyshape is a mistake

Every time I think I’ve seen it all, I read a new cry baby complaint about D4 that makes me burst out laughing all over again. You keyboard warriors are hilarious.

3 Likes

Look at his face options, he has a second chin and his cheeks are droopy. You people will euphemize fat all you want. You can have muscles and still be fat. It’s literally being barrel/round shaped.

3 Likes

These druids are stuck in cow form.

12 Likes

Dude… I live in the sticks. I know guys who lived off grid. Lived off the land… I’ve worked forestry. We all hunt in my town, and fix our own vehicles. The druid is built like your average blue collar country man. They couldn’t of been more spot on. Take it from someone who hunts, fishes, and used to cut down trees for a living. The druid looks like he prefers the authentic taste of Copenhagen instead of Skoal. He looks like he is ready for his perfectly smoked venison sausage and Yuengling with a double shot of jack after a long work day. Take it from an Outdoorsmen folks, Not whoever this city guppy is. The druid is built like he spends most of his time outdoors.

11 Likes

lol. I think he looks cool. I mean it’s not like anyone who actually fights IRL had body builder muscles like the barb. We have just become accustomed to the Arnold S. Conan depiction of what an ancient warrior looked like. Those are dehydrated and starved glam muscles NOT functional muscles. Look at any strongman IRL and they have a gut. The druid is a big strong dude who lives in the frigid climate. He eats and F’s bears or whatever it is fantasy druids do.
More than likely real druids were fat or skinny and sat around the fire reciting poems and stories and contemplating deep philosophical topics. Probably not much for muscles. But either way its fantasy art, so its nice to have variety. I haven’t looked to see if the chicks are in Heavy Metal bikini armor. I hope not , but that’s for a different discussion

4 Likes