3080Ti Bricked by Diablo 4

Card overheated and went black on Day 1 of early access. I searched online and set graphics and fan speeds according to the post here Nvidia 30x0/40x0 High GPU Usage and Temperatures with Some Settings I also updated to the newest D4 optimised Nvidia drivers on June 6th.

This worked for about 4 days then the occasional crash. Followed by the card being unable to even process 1080p video without BSOD or black screen crash. Card confirmed dead by retailer. This is absolute garbage and I demand a refund. You shipped a sub quality product, and by a quick search of these forums and Reddit well over $100,000’s in damage has been done already to consumers video cards.

Fix your game and give me a refund.

2 Likes

Its not D4s fault. I have 3 years old Blackstone with all graphs full and game works like a mechanical clock. Zero issues. Its something on your PC, probably some shady piece of hardware with faulty manufacturing.

A quick search would indicate far to many 3080’s and 4080s are getting bricked by D4. My computer is fine running BF2042 at ultra and many other games with no issues. It would be quite the coincidence to have Blizzard post about GPU temps, multiple posts of high end Nvidia cards dying running D4 and my high end Nvidia card dying during the release week of D4.
The fanboi is strong with you.

3 Likes

What fanboy? D4 is bad game but it does not destroy your PC. 3080’s and 4080s are low quality and overpriced. Boy.

Ignorant people like you is why forums are a crap show, and nothing can get done because Blizzard sees these trash comments, and think everything is fine, and issues can be ignored.

Let’s take a look at your history… Firemind1666 June 8th “my build is almost complete and I never had more fun in my life in 20 years solo.” You spent days talking about how much you love the game, and it’s the best thing that has ever happened to you. Now it’s “A bad game” LOL… you people are pathetic.

You have made 39 posts and majority has been in the span of 5-6 hours, get a life, and stop derailing important topics. There has been numerous reports, and actual video proof of D4 causing crashes, and bricking GPU’s, they even had to address this issue mid beta, because their cutscenes were not capping, and crashing/killing gpu’s.

P.S. Although I hate responding on forums, and I was just looking to see if they fixed an ON GOING ISSUE with their game, I figured I would help a lazy, ignorant person like yourself and post a single link where you can educate yourself (There are many more across the internet, use your search functions before you type anything).

[Main Thread] Game Freezes/Crashes GPU fans screaming when opening specific UI Elements - June 2023

3 Likes

So your you have confirmed dead faulty hardware, RMA underway, what you are doing here? :thinking::joy::joy: Why blaming computer game?
Why not on Microsoft forums blaming windows? Or Nvidia forums blaming Nvidia chip?
Get yourself together dude, wrong forum. D4 may have contributed to death of your card by pushing it to the limit but it did not destroyed it.

Correlation is not causation. Cause is crappy hardware which died under intended use, end of story, that’s why retailer is fixing it for you and not Blizzard.

Its doing something to the gpus, game pushing them to the limit, why? It shouldnt be. Its not a demanding game for nowadays and most ppl should run it easily and no issues. Its not only nvidia getting affected, amd also. Its def something wrong with the game

1 Like

You are the one who is ignorant here. D4 is S H I T game. It took longer than 2 days until that realization happened.

D4 dos not brick your overpriced dog S H IT catds w#ore. Blizzard shill. FU

1 Like

Correlation does equal causation if there are numerous reports claiming the same thing with video evidence. I could run any other game max settings prior to this with no issues. There is something causing gpu usage to spike to unreasonable levels overheating cards.

2 Likes

Let’s see, so if all that what you said were true… Then what happens next?
Blizzard fixes your card? No…
Who fixes your card? The manufacturer…
Who accepts full responsibility without question? The manufacturer…
You cry buckets here, and what you do next? Go to manufacturer for RMA procedure…

Tell me at which point I am wrong and Blizzard does ANYTHING to help you with RMA claim, I am very interested where will that be.

It’s a video card problem not a software problem. GFX cards are supposed to have hard locked throttling and caps/resistors to prevent overvoltage of cards. GFX cards over the years have had bad quality control with new releases, for example, the new world 3090 fiasco. Every few years a card comes along that catches on fire (shorts out). Anyway, it’s on the manufacturer of the GFX card to make sure their cards don’t die from being pushed to the max. Unfortunately, gamers get all creamy in their pants about overclocking, so manufacturers release “OC” versions of their cards. In turn, Nvidia/AMD push their chips to the limit as well, when they should be releasing them with at least a 20% headroom for safety. BUT… they never will because people will never stop pushing their silicon to the limit. SO… what YOU need to do as a smart consumer is learn 2 things. A. Undervolting. It’s super easy, takes 5 minutes of your time and will give you the 10-20% thermal headroom you need to keep your card functional for 10 years. B. Custom Fan Curves. Don’t ever trust manufacturers fan curves. They suck a**. Make your own. Again this takes maybe an hour of your time. So, spend 1, 2, or even 6 hours if you need to, and make your video card safe, reliable and a $1000 dollar piece of equipment that will last you 5-10 years. Another honorable mention is to watercool your card if possible. One final note on overclocking. Stop fn doing it. It gets you what 5-10 more FPS in most cases? Get over it. Why push your silicon to the limit and reduce the operating life of your $1k card by 70%. Overclocking, IMO, should only be done when you are on the last year or so of your cards life. For example, all you 1070-1080 people out there. Go ahead, overclock away. Squeeze out more life from that card because you know in a year or two you are buying a new one. But for the love of baby Jesus, stop overclocking your new flagship cards… It’s unnecessary. Ok. Now everyone can troll away.

1 Like

I think we all need to take down the attacks on each other about what the right thought here is.

I get it. No one wants to have their card break. And its very easy to blame anything but yourself when it goes wrong. And you may be right to blame something else in some cases.

But here’s the thing.

Millions of PC gamers out there right?

So millions of custom and pre-built gaming PCs, right?

And millions of different configurations, setups, and philosophies about how to build and maintain those systems, right?

So its not outside the realm of common sense, that maybe, just maybe, some of these issues that some of you are having, might have nothing to do at all with the game, but have to do with something going on with the hardware.

As a point to the fact, I know of several posts on this very forum, when people found out they had a bad PSU, or not correctly cable connected the card to the PSU, or it was full of pet hair and dirt. Those weren’t caused by Blizzard were they?

With regards to Blizzard and Diablo IV. This is my stance at the moment with how much of the forum and all the different posts I have been reading for the past week:

The game clearly has issues, and on two fronts:

1: VRAM usage. There is a clear problem here, with not only using a lot of the VRAM if not all of it, but not handling the transfer into and out of it smoothly for everyone. All systems show the same amount of abuse (full VRAM, hot memory chips on the GPU) but not every system is reacting the same. In fact a small amount (over the whole picture) are actually having issues. But that translates into several hundred of you at least.

Blizzard needs to address the optimization of how assets are being handled and/or find out why some systems are choking up when VRAM is maxed out and people get errors, crashes, etc.

2: Network connectivity. There is also a clear issue here. Network traffic for Diablo IV from what I have been able to observe (and I have been collecting data all over the forum for the past few days) is that many ISPs are blocking part of the traffic while playing the game. Now, not all of them are. But some are. Comcast comes up a LOT.

But that’s not all. We are also seeing issues with the network traffic messing up home routers and modems. So again, something with their traffic and how it works is apparently triggering both local hardware and potentially some ISPs to block or interfere with the game connection.

Those two things lead to people having a poor experience playing the game. Not only that, the way the game plays is causing undue stress on the GPU hardware, regardless if it can handle it, supposed to handle it, or not. Fact is, its causing problems. I will say its not going to directly ruin your card, unless you let it.

If you go in and want to run the game at max settings knowing its a risk to your card at this point in the game’s release time, that’s kinda on you. The rest of us are knowingly taking the time to ensure our hardware is not going to get overtaxed rather than have a 1000+ dollar hardware get damaged due to our neglect or trust that a video game won’t cause it to run too hard and potentially fail.

That said, we can’t solely blame Blizzard for this alone. The cards are supposed to have safeties that kick in to protect them. And in some cases, I think they are, but are being overlooked because of how they perform and look like something else is wrong instead.

If a card overheats or has a power issue, the card may:

• Slow down (throttle) and cause the FPS to drop along with game performance in general.
  • Black screen and kick fans to full.
  • Kick the computer off completely.

These symptoms are the GPU, PSU and Motherboard taking action to prevent damage to the hardware. At this point, something is wrong causing an issue.

However the first issue is also happening with the VRAM issue. But that could in turn be due to the memory temperature getting too hot and the card still throttling for all I know.

There are SO many variables here.

But yes, Blizzard needs to address some issues that is on their plate that I described above.

As for all of us, we need to be more civil to each other. All this does is make everyone angry and combative. That won’t help fix the problems.

Game on.

3 Likes

Thanks DMT

Not the answer I am looking for but solid response without being inflammatory. The card was 18 months old so it likely had dust and I am in the RMA Process. I’m pissed because my computer is useless for up to 8 weeks and the poor optimization was definitely one of the straws that broke the back of my card.

1 Like

Well, I know people are frustrated, so its not going to help to be mean about things.

But I hope your RMA goes smoothly and when you get your replacement let us know if there are any further things you have issues with.

Keep in mind, there are some things you can do to (for now at least) minimize issues till Blizzard gets things better optimized, however long that may take.

Game on.

There should be no issues on a “finished” game. Blizzard has put a product out that is bricking graphic cards, crashing computers, causing overheating causing connection issues, the list goes on. They were very aware of these issues in Beta and could of fixed them but they haven’t.

Their customer support is just as terrible taking 3-5 days minimum to get back to tickets.

Only solution is to make complaints, chargeback the game and report them to whoever regulates this. I uninstalled before it started causing problems, I had to take cover off my PC with a 3090 in it just so it wouldn’t overheat.

The game content was 6/10 at best.

1 Like

If you are removing the cover, then the case doesn’t have proper ventilation to begin with it sounds like.

Many systems require covers to be in place to optimize airflow by design.

However, your opinion on the issue is noted. And I’m sorry that you are having problems, and completely understand the frustration.

Lots of ventilation, in a basement next to ac, and still overheating. No other game does this beside D4 which is crap.

Games: HLL/EA Games/Star Citizien/WoT/CoD… list goes on

1 Like

Well, the problem is probably the same as the rest of us. The VRAM is being overworked due to how the game is using VRAM and textures.

Biggest issue, is the GPU doesn’t get hot enough probably to run the fans enough to cool down the GPU memory. I mean, what temps were you seeing on your card?

Did you try to cap the FPS, or was you letting the card run full tilt with ultra settings on a 4K or something?

You may need to set a custom fan curve using something like Afterburner or some how trick the card into thinking it needs more fan speed. I know the more powerful cards can keep up with the game engine just fine, its just the texture VRAM issue that’s causing problems for some of us.

But its up to you how to handle it.

I handled it perferctly. Uninstall, make complaints, have it ignored. Chargeback go play something else and not waste my time.

1 Like

Bugged (uncapped) vendors and inventory that force power spikes every time You used it + VRAM that is pushed to max (friend is using program to refresh vram becouse game is not doing this correctl, bad code).

You litterally showed us that game is bricking gpus for both AMD amd Nvidia.

Thanks

1 Like