3080ti bricked after playing

That sounds like a sick build!

I like to build stuff myself and as you, I’m more of a practicality comes first, beauty comes second, guy, not that I don’t value beauty ofc.

The other day a friend brought me their PC to upgrade, it still had an old, 14 year old Phenom II X4 AM3 set installed in it with a GTX 1050 Ti.

The poor thing still run surprisigly well for its age and did ok for office work and some light gaming but it had got to the point of him not being able to even run some newer games due to the cpu’s lack of instructions.

He didn’t have a lot of money to spend so we decided to go with AM4 and upgrade in two phases, cpu+mobo+ram first and gpu second.

So, we reused his old case, psu, sata ssds and hdds (he had like 5 of them installed in the system) and his gpu (we’ll upgrade that laters) and went with a Ryzen 7 5700X cpu, a be quiet! Pure Rock 2 cooler, an MSI B550 Tomahawk mobo and 16GB (2x8GB) of Gskill Ripjaws DDR4 3200 RAM.

The case doesn’t have a lot of space, so everything’s tight, but it all came together quite nicely in the end.

That GTX 1050Ti has to go ofc, but it will do the job till we get a nice gpu like an RX 6700-6800.

Some pics of the build:
https://prnt.sc/LwQOo0j8vQT3

https://prnt.sc/b06G2mA2ZeEE

https://prnt.sc/Ovgyt23Sdlx0

PS: Sorry for the offtopic, everyone! I just love building PCs! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do this kind of crashes happen in any other game running uncapped under full load?

As far as I know, no. I just let PSO2 NGS run wild on my GPU with an intense gameplay shader running (tons of post-processing usually used for screenshot taking only) and ran around for about two hours with zero issues, just before the patch came out for D4.

Edit: Okay, this sounds REALLY stupid. But I’m running at 165 capped, ultra settings with DLSS on Quality and all I did was uninstall the game’s high-resolution assets.

The game is highlighting an issue with Gigabyte 3080 Ti, you need to RMA it.

1 Like

I’m having these same issues with Asus ROG OC 3080TI

1 Like

Same, had the issue in all betas but capping used to cull the issue somehow.

Now on release, no matter what I do, it’ll end up hard rebooting after a while.
I’m “lucky” as the GPU and PC always restarts, thank god, but this is scary as everything I tried (settings, caps both in-game and in Nvidia panel, aggressive fan curve and undervolt in MSI Afterburner, all drivers up to date etc.) just won’t prevent it and I’m pretty scared to have my GPU bricked. Especially since it’s the only game / app that does this, my computer otherwise runs perfectly without any issues.

And before you jump on me saying “games don’t brick cards, period” I GET IT.
I know it’s most probably some kind of flaw in the card, exposed or trigged by an overly demanding task during the game, but still… If Blizzard could acknowledge the issue is still present on retail and give us an update (as during the betas I remember them saying they were gonna monitor the issue closely with Gigabyte or something) and, hopefully, tweak something so it doesn’t trigger as much or at all, I’m pretty sure we’d all be better for it.

First it was New World allegedly bricking EVGA 3090s, now it’s D4 allegedly bricking Gigabyte RTX 3080Tis, maybe we’ll have another new triple A game allegedly bricking RTX 3080s/3090s from MSI or Asus tomorrow.

In the case of New World, EVGA took the blame at that point, but after a while terminated their partnership with NVIDIA abruptly and abandoned the gpu market, citing disrespectful treatment from NVIDIA:

In the case of D4, no company has taken responsibility yet, but we know for sure that this is not Blizzard’s fault and Diablo is not to blame. Someone could say that this is probably Gigabyte’s fault, as it was EVGA’s fault in the case of New World, but was it really? And was it all EVGA’s fault? Maybe NVIDIA had something to do with it as well? Maybe there is some fatal design flaw in the RTX 3000 series GPUs that gets exposed more easily at the higher end?

In any case, Blizzard said they were investigating the issue closely with NVIDIA and not Gigabyte:
https://www.pcgamer.com/diablo-4-rtx-3080-ti-issue/

Maybe that should tell us something?

Let’s just say that my next GPU will be an AMD RX 6000 or 7000 series, most probably a 7900XT, and not an NVIDIA GPU, and certainly not another RTX 3080Ti/3090.

Thank God we also have AMD (and Intel) gpus as well. :slight_smile:

I have a similar issue with my 3070ti. My gpu didn’t get bricked because it was the first time it has ever overheated in 5 years… but the temps did go up to at least 85C. 85C is the temp that BIOS recorded after I restarted my PC because of the crash. I didn’t mess with any of the settings. All were left on default, and I didn’t even use DLSS. For some reason, I could not find my own post on this issue.
I found a work around. Sadly, it meant caping my FPS at 60 (I will not go below 60 on any game), turning down the particles, turning down the shadows, and pretty much turning everything down a notch. Sadly, there is no way for me to adjust the resolution, because I would have turned that down as well.

Yes it is. I have no issues with any other game, and my gpu is not EVGA. Mine is an ASUS. (specifically: ASUS TUF 3070ti) I’ve had my gpu for 5 years with no issues at all until Diablo IV. And even then: everything was good in both Beta tests and the Server Slam tests. So it IS something with Diablo IV, it IS something with Blizzard and not Nvidia, or EVGA, or even ASUS’ faults.

It’s the game. Why else does my GPU shoot up in temp only when I open up the inventory? Idling, no combat.

1 Like

Can you please install and setup MSI Afterburner to monitor your gpu so that you can check its temperature, usage, frequency and fan speed at all times?

It is very important to know what is your gpu’s normal maximum temperature under full load (you can run unigine heaven 4 to know that) and at what fan speed and then check what’s your fan speed when your gpu is overheating.

We know that Gigabyte cards can have this issue where even when the card is under full load, the fan controller might act as if the card is still in idle state, ignoring the readings of the temperature sensors, so the fans don’t spin as the temperature increases and the gpu starts to throttle, trying to avoid frying itself due to overheating.

It would be very interesting to know if this is what is happening with your Asus TUF 3070 Ti as well.

I totally understand that you might not be experiencing this in any other game but D4, which means that D4 obviously triggers something that exposes a flaw and we need to find out what is the nature of that flaw.

It is certain that there will be more games in the future that do the same thing if we don’t identify the exact cause in this case. And as users, all we can do on our end is monitor closely our gpus and provide the data to the technical support team.

I have my average GPU temp along with every game setting in the thread I linked.

This for me is a very isolated and reproducible issue where it begins to ramp up in temperature only with the Inventory page open.

I just read your post. You’ve done an excellent job gathering almost all relative info in detail, however the post doesn’t mention the gpu’s normal maximum temperature under full load (=96% or more) and at what fan speed. Also, it doesn’t mention what’s the actual gpu fan speed when your gpu is overheating.

It is very important to know the exact values in order to understand what exactly is going on.

For example I’ll link a screenshot of my Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti when I paired it with a Ryzen 7 2700X for testing in Unigine Heaven 4:
https://prnt.sc/zVOtf1puHtup

As you can see in this example, the card is running at full load (98%), 1890MHz gpu core boost speed, 9502MHz vram speed and 68°C gpu core temperature at 79% fan speed. That’s more or less how the card behaves at full load in normal operation.

So, my gpu’s normal maximum under full load is 68°C-73°C, at 71%-80% fan speed.

In my case, when I had the anomaly occurring while running D4, gpu core temp got to 93°C, with gpu usage 99%, gpu frequency down to 300MHz (gpu was throttling) and reported gpu fan speed at only 41% (which was actually false as the fans didn’t actually spin in reality).

My gpu was overheating because my card’s failsafe for temps built in Gigabyte’s bios obviously didn’t work as it should, resulting in the card overheating. This was the first time I’ve ever had this happening to me up to that point, even though the card had already been tested in dozens of demanding games and synthetic benchmarks without an issue.

Here’s the whole story and how I found out what was happening in my case:

I can look for the fan speeds when I get on later, but as for GPU loads it doesn’t go beyond 30% even when ramping up in temp.

I have an MSI 3080 with Afterburner and the game does its level best to redline my card during Inventory/vendor screens.

That is 100% blizzard’s fault. There’s absolutely no reason playing the game requires half the GPU that a vendor screen does. That is bad product design. If you put that kind of undo stress on a card that often eventually components are going to fail no matter who made the card.

Yeah that’s why we need to know what’s the actual fan speed when the gpu is ramping up in temp and we also need to know what’s the fan speed and the max temp when your gpu is under full load in let’s say Unigine Heaven 4.0. Only by knowing these details we’ll be in the position to know whta’s happening in your case.

What I suspect is that your gpu fans spin lower than normal when this overheating occurs. In fact, next time you see that happening, note down what was the fan speed (I’m sure that it wil be lower than normal) and then try to ramp up your gpu fan speed manually all the way up to let’s say 90% with MSI Afterburner and see if that makes a huge difference. If it does, then your problem is the same as mine, for some reason (buggy bios maybe?) the fan controller on the card isn’t working properly and the fans don’t spin when the temprature increases.

Blizzard definitely needs to optimize the game, it’s not normal to have so high gpu usage in vendor screens, I agree with you 100% about that.

However, even if that vendor screen was forcing the card to run not just at 50%, but even at 100%, this doesn’t mean that the card should fail just because it is running under full load. If that was the case, all cards doing mining would have died in a few days.

However that’s not the case and in fact, there are thousands of cards out there that have been mining for more than 3 years straight, yet they are still functioning like brand new:

Running your card at 100% utilization is normal, this is within spec. The card shouldn’t die just because of that.

So, Blizzard having to optimize D4 is one thing (and they must definitely do that) and a gpu dying because it run at full load at some point in a game is another, and Blizzard is not responsible for it.

In-town Idle:
145 FPS (Capped)
Render Latency: 2.9-3.4 ms
CPU Utilization: 32-41%
GPU Utilization: 47-58%
GPU Clock: 1890 MHz
Memory Clock: 9501 MHz
GPU Temperature: 72 Celcius
Fan Speed: 2343-2351 RPM
GPU Power: 215 Watts
GPU Voltage: 1.1

In-town Idle With Inventory Open:
145 FPS (Capped)
Render Latency: 5-6.2 ms
CPU Utilization: 38-51%
GPU Utilization: 77-90%
GPU Clock: 1860-1875 MHz
Memory Clock: 9501 MHz
GPU Temperature: 77-78 Celcius
Fan Speed: 4004-4018 RPM
GPU Power: 303-310 Watts
GPU Voltage: 1.1

2 Likes

Thanks for the details!

Ok, so in your case the fans are working properly, their speed ramps up as the temperature increases, which is normal. Tbh, at first glance, your card seems to be functioning normally, as it should, at least as far as its fan controller is concerned. At least we have that out of the way.

Now could you please run something else, like a synthetic benchmark (Unigine Heaven 4 will do the job nicely) so that we may know what’s the max temp and the gpu fan speed under full load in something other than D4 for reference?

I can do that later tonight.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to go in depth on these issues. My GPU isn’t bricked but I have a gigabyte and D4 keeps hard crashing my PC. I had no issues with the game during the beta/server slam, even though I played many hours with it.

So is there no hope for me playing this game? If so, might just get a refund.