3080ti bricked after playing

The issue seems to mostly (but not only) affect Gigabyte RTX 3080/3080Tis. Since you have a Gigabyte card like me, you first need to check if your issue is related to overheating.

Here’s what you need to do as a first step:

Also, please read this post, including the link it contains:

1 Like

Yea I got a RTX 3080. I did that bench mark that you suggested and it the temp was 56c before my pc totally crashed. Not sure about fan speed but when not gaming the GPU is around 30c. Anyways, the pc will turn on but nothing shows up on the monitor anymore. rip

That sucks. Sounds like another bad 30 series. Ugh.

1 Like

Oh I’m very sorry to hear that. Your card was defective after all then. You will have to RMA it, I suppose it is still under warranty, right?

Gonna check with the company, since I brought a pre-built. If I gotta buy another GPU, is there a better manufacturer? MSI perhaps? Just wanna play D4 lol

You know, I wonder if this is in part to the horrible capacitor problem the 3080s had not long after launch. I mean how many of them never presented a problem? And now we have aged cards with a potential failure from the potential capacitor problem too. I almost forgot about that.

My last 3 cards have all been MSI. Running a 3070Ti X gaming trio right now.

I have also ran Asus a few times.

Asus 980 Strix
Asus 2070
MSI 1660, 2060, 3060 12GB & 3070Ti

2 Likes

Is the pre-built still under warranty? They will replace it. But in any case, I’ll just mention this here for anyone concerned, I don’t think I have actually seen a report of an RTX 3080/3090 card from MSI getting bricked while playing D4 or New World. A good friend has two MSI cards, both of them have been excellent.

Also, as far as the RTX 3000 series is concerned, personally I’d stay away from 3080/3080ti/3090.

3070ti and lower seem to be great, we’ve had 3 RTX 3060s here at the channel from Zotac, Asus and MSI and they are excellent, like trully exceptional.

So in short, for anyone wanting to buy a new card, from NVIDIA I recommend all RTX 4000 series cards and from the RTX 3000 series only the following:
RTX 3060/3060ti/3070/3070ti
MSI cards seem to have a low failure rate in relation to others, I have also had great experiences with Zotac cards.
And I also recommend all AMD cards from RX 6600 and higher.

1 Like

I have an MSI 3080 and I am having similar issues. GPU’s fan will shoot up to 100% and then my monitors will go black, only while playing Diablo 4. I’ve checked temps and the card doesn’t seem to be overheating at all. Sometimes the game will run stable for 4-5 hours, and then next time I play it will crash every 5 minutes in the same fashion.

1 Like

Well, as I said in my previous post:

Personally I’m probably going with an RX 7900XT and be done with this. I love my RTX 3080 Ti, it’s a fantastic card, but I really can’t live with this agony:
“Will it crash? Will the crash cause data corruption or data loss? Will the card eventually break? When is it gonna break? How’s it gonna break? Will it still be under warranty? Will the shop RMA it if this issue only happens with D4?”

I’m tired of this.

I’ll say it again, personally I’ll just stay away from RTX 3080/3080ti/3090, as far as I can. This whole thing really feels like a bomb ready to explode with these cards and I don’t wanna be near it when it happens and I really hope I’m wrong.

Yea probably gonna go with a MSI 3070ti or maybe a 4070ti. Thanks for and others being helpful so I can focus on what to do next.

Hopefully the pre-built still under warranty, don’t have the info with me right now.

1 Like

Guys maybe it’s time to abandon ship :thinking::joy:
Free games and some discounts if you switch to Radeon.

https://www.techspot.com/news/98957-amd-offering-two-free-games-discount-select-cpus.html

I bought the MSI 3070 Ti X Gaming Trio used for less than 400 on eBay. Been a solid card, paired with a 24" HD 144hz Acer Predator G-Sync monitor, turns solid frames, runs cool, even when doing inventory and vendors, despite those still pushing even my card hotter a bit. But at least its well below danger levels.

No weirdness, no crashes, no freezing. I have had some network disruption, but that could be anything, between the ISP, my hardware, or the internet path to the servers.

Turns steady 138FPS all session, no dips or fluctuations.

2 Likes

I’m seriously thinking about it lol :joy:

That was actually an awesome deal, that’s a great card, congrats! :+1:

Got it in its original box, with the original packaging, even came with the unused support bracket. Card looked nearly new.

1 Like

Check this post please, including the links it contains:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/diablo-4-server-slam-cooked-my-gpu/21857/45

Gigabyte 3080ti just black screened and a little puff of smoke came out. The card is now bricked. Coming here for help.

hi different card to add, i have a 7900xtx asrock aqua. had the game running at 165fps as thats my monitors freesync. after 4hrs was using 22gb of vram then game freaked out power draw went to 560watts for the gpu (not overclocked normally sits at 412) then flickers began and hard crashed. mobo had the no gpu light on. after about 2hrs of trying to boot. (replacing card and running ddu/reinstalling drivers etc) had no luck. waited a few hours longer with pc off and it suddenly booted up.

runs everything fine so i gave diablo another go but capped it at 75fps.

gpu was sitting at 100~160watts at 60ish usage. temps was around 50gpu and 60 junction

then in town bag open was spikeing to 280~330ish watts
then it happened again,flickers and hard crash to black screen. waited 30mins pc booted up fine. still gonna rma my card just incase its a component issue.

Memory junction was getting close to 84~86c

How old is the card? Best bet is to call NVIDIA and see if they can replace it.

Yeah there’s been a few threads about there being a potential memory leak.

I would keep the FPS capped and even lower the power to 80%.

1 Like

Was playing yesterday with a group of friends and my gigabyte 3080ti just black screened. I capped FPS at about 120 FPS and this still seemed to be a bit much. Should I reduce power consumption below 80% and also reduce my FPS? Or should I just wait for an update? Or should I reach out to Gigabyte and request a new card?