3080ti bricked after playing

Have a Gigabyte 3080 Ti.

Similar to many others, played for about 3 hours then a sudden crash and my GPU fan spooled to max. Temps and fan were fine before that.

Was able to restart. Computer crashed immediately when starting the game again and the card was dead for good.

Had 0 issues with the card prior and was running it intensively.

9 Likes

You’re not the only one brother… not the only one.
I had the same issue with open beta with 2 crashes and the GPU survived.
Tonight i had of the same PC crashes 1st one survived 2nd GPU broke…
Good thing is GPU is in warranty bad thing is i have to wait for another one…
D4 definitely likes to brick 3080 TI…

It was identified as Gigabyte’s fault and there are *tentative *workarounds, see pinned comment on Diablo 4 Beta: We Recorded the Mysterious Anomaly Killing GPUs with a Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti! - YouTube

If you have a Gigabyte 3080 Ti it will brick sooner or later.

2 Likes

This is not a workaround. My 3080ti was bricked tonight while constantly being monitored via MSI Afterburne with a custom fan profile set and FPS capped at 60. The GPU never exceeded 50% load and stayed under 60C* temperature for the majority of the time and it still crashed and got bricked.

2 Likes

Your hardware was faulty, get it repaired. Nothing to do with the game.

1 Like

This, this x1000…

Practically all bricked GPUs are Gigabyte made.

1 Like

Yeah, agree it’s a hardware issue. A video card must be able to protect itself , it’s also really disappointing how Gigabyte has been handling returns.

That said, I am curious what combination of factors in Diablo 4 seem to be exposing these hardware flaws. Even if it’s not their fault, I wonder if Blizzard will make any changes.

The video shared above is interesting - my fan behavior did seem to be erratic. I assumed because my fan was not at high RPM that my temps were ok, maybe this was not the case.

1 Like

This is not Blizzard’s fault.

We have a Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti and at least in our case the issue was caused because our card’s failsafe for temps built in Gigabyte’s bios obviously didn’t work as it should, resulting in the card overheating.

Thankfully, our card didn’t die.

It would have died for sure at some point if we hadn’t been monitoring our gpu temps regularly and kept playing games without knowing our card had been overheating.

It was just a matter of time till that would happen.

Since we bought this Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti about 3 months ago, we have tested it at full speed under full load (99% usage) in dozens of very demanding games and synthetic benchmarks, and the card would always run at about 1860MHz boost speed and 73 degrees Celsius with the fans spinning at around 70-80%.

For reference, here’s a video of our 3080Ti benchmarked in several demanding titles and as you can see, the card never exceeds 73 degrees at full speed, under full load:

Diablo 4 was the first game to ever exhibit such an abnormal behavior and this happened the second time we run the game. During the first day, we played for hours without an issue.

We have this anomalous behavior recorded in this video:

Diablo 4: We Recorded the Mysterious Anomaly Killing GPUs with a Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti:

We had never seen something like that, this just didn’t make sense. One of the commenters in the comment section suggested that this might be caused due to an overloaded memory rail and even posted a technical video explaining why this might be the case.

After the first open beta weekend, we went back to playing various other games, like Hogwarts Legacy for example and the issue didn’t occur since. Another commenter suggested that this might be a fan related issue, but at first we (wrongly) didn’t believe this might be a possible cause.

Then we watched the video again, and noticed that we had forgotten to set MSI Afterburner to display the card’s fan speed while running the game. So, we went in the settings and set the fan speed to be visible in the UI.

A couple of days later, possibly out of coincidence, the card started exhibiting the same abnormal behavior in other games as well and not just Diablo 4. But this time we had one more clue that made everything obvious: the gpu fans were running at just 41%, which is way too low. In fact, as we found out later after testing, the Gigabyte RTX 3080Ti has fans that practically cut off completely at 41% speed.

In plain words, for some unknown reason, even if the card was under full load, the fan controller was acting as if the card was still in idle state, so the fans wouldn’t spin as the temps got higher and higher and the gpu was throttling, decreasing its operating frequency all the way down to just 300MHz, trying to avoid frying itself due to overheating.

We installed the card in a different system to test it further, and the issue didn’t occur on its own, so we tried to replicate the issue artificially by setting the gpu fan manually to run at 41% and voila: The abnormal behavior occurred again!

So, as it turned out, in our case the issue is related to a fan controller malfunction resulting in the card overheating.

After some more digging, we have found that the culprit is most probably the Gigabyte bios for the RTX 3000 series AT LEAST PARTLY, and while the issue seems to trigger as a combinational result of several factors (possibly due to software conflict with some other program, like rgb software, etc), it is most probably related to at least one or more Gigabyte bios versions for the RTX 3000 series cards, as it is known to cause fan issues in some cases, here is a reddit post from 3 years ago for reference: https://www.reddit.com/r/gigabytegaming/comments/jv7bcr/gigabyte_rtx_3080_gaming_oc_fan_issues/

Gigabyte sadly haven’t released an updated bios version that resolves the fan issues with their RTX 3000 series cards.

The solution to the problem is either applying a custom fan curve with MSI Afterburner before running a game, thus bypassing the Gigabyte bios fan curve (recommended way), or flashing a compatible BIOS for the same card from another vendor (eg ASUS) on your Gigabyte card (unorthodox way).

If you have a Gigabyte RTX 3000 series card and you’re facing gpu overheating issues randomly, that seems to be the only workaround, at least for now.

However, there have been people reporting that while they had been constantly monitoring their gpu via MSI Afterburner with a custom fan profile applied, FPS capped at 60, and GPU never exceeded 50% load and 60 degrees Celcius temperature for the majority of the time, it still crashed and got bricked:

In cases such as this, hardware getting bricked without having overheating issues is obviously faulty, some component on the card just fails and the card dies.

This means that we most probably have two separate things, sometimes occurring at the same time:
#1. Some cards (from any manufacturer) can have defective components (that’s nothing new or special)
#2. At least one or more Gigabyte bios versions for the RTX 3000 series cards reportedly has a faulty/buggy bios fan curve causing fan issues that in some cases could potentially result in gpu overheating

If you have a card with issue # 1, your card may fail at any given time when stressed. Nothing new or special about that, that’s why we have RMA.

If you have a card with issue # 2 (that is a card from Gigabyte with a faulty/buggy bios fan curve), there is a possibility that even if the card is under full load, the fan controller might act as if the card is still in idle state, ignoring the readings of the temperature sensors, so the fans won’t spin as the temperature increases and the gpu starts to throttle, trying to avoid frying itself due to overheating.

This is what actually happened to our Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti and as we already mentioned, we have this anomalous behavior recorded in our video.

Thankfully, our card survived this anomaly, hopefully because it didn’t have issue #1 as well?

We can’t say for sure, we can only make an informed guess.

But as it is evident, if you have a card with issue #1 and issue #2 occurring at the same time, chances are that your card won’t survive the anomaly, as the extreme stress in combination with overheating will obviously put a huge strain on the card that will make any defective component fail sooner rather than later.

We sincerely hope that the companies involved will soon be able to identify and resolve the issue once and for all.

Until then, ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, monitor your cpu + gpu temps with MSI Afterburner while playing games. After all, this is something that we highly recommend every PC gamer to do at all times.

Here is our guide on how to download and setup MSI Afterburner:

In short, in order to be able to play this game (and any other game for that matter) without issues and without worrying about possibly damaging your gpu, ALWAYS monitor your gpu temperature, usage, frequency and fan speed at all times with MSI Afterburner and set a custom fan curve before running your games.

Also, remove the Diablo IV Prefs file from the Diablo IV folder in the Documents location.

Normally you shouldn’t have to do all this just to be able to play a game, but as I always say, if there is something on our end that we can do to save us time, money and frustration, we should definitely do it.

Better be safe than sorry. :wink:

Hope this helps!

Anthony,
Palatech Gaming YT

3 Likes

I have the Aorus 3090 Xtreme, a 10900k at stock speeds and 64GB of RAM. Game’s crashing after about an hour, I logged into WoW and idled at setting 10 1440p in Valdrakken with uncapped FPS to really stress the card; no such crashing. I’ve tried PSO2 NGS as well, no such crash. PSO being a notoriously BRUTAL game for 30-series GPUs, sometimes pegging memory hot spots at 90c+. No dice.

I’ve since tried:

DLSS off/on (ultra/balanced/etc)
Medium or Low on all settings
Lowering Resolution
Capping FPS to 165 and then 144 (keeps temps stable in Warzone, worth a shot)
V-Sync off/On (gross)
and clean wiping, rebooting and installing new GPU drivers. I’ve my card updated to the newest Gigabyte/Aorus BIOS for the 3090 Xtreme, nothing seems to have helped.

I did have one actual “major” crash with a black screen, but my PC rebooted just fine but that was on a much older driver from GeForce Experience. I am since fully updated.

As an aside, I’ve been closely monitoring temps. My card stays at 72c on the core, and 84c on the memory. It does not go up from there once the fans have settled in.

I am sorry guys, but gigabyte is a trash company that cannot be trusted. Thier RMA process is designed to frustrate you while doing nothing to fix your issue.

Anybody remember their power supplys blowing up?

I had a defective gtx 780 back in the day. Shipped it to them they said nothing was wrong. I had to buy another card from another company just so I could play games. I sent the card back again, told them to send me a different one, and that one was defective as well. At least this one I could get to work by under-clocking the hell out of it, but it didnt last 16 months.

Just a awful company all the way around. Do not trust gigabyte.

1 Like

My first GPU got exploded by New World, and they replaced it with no hesitations. Took a bit due to supply issues, but they handled it super professionally on my end. Granted, I have a little bit of social media pull so I’m unsure if it’s special treatment. Could be, but its anecdotal at this point.

I know EVGA GPUs were ALSO having the same problems. 30-series GPUs are so poorly engineered.

2 Likes

Well, EVGA probably knows something we don’t.

Maybe that’s one of the reasons they terminated abruptly their relationship with NVIDIA and got out of the gpu market completely?

I was one of those people that got shocked when I heard the news about EVGA’s messy breakup with NVIDIA, it really didn’t make sense to me, at all.

But now, after EVGA took the blame with RTX 3000 series cards failing in New World and the same pattern emerging again with another game and another gpu manufacturer, maybe the pieces are slowly starting to come together?

In these cases what are the variables?
The variables are the game devs and the video card manufacturers.

And which is the only constant?
The RTX 3000 series GPUs made by NVIDIA

Let’s just say that I won’t be surprised if we have the next triple A game coming out this year bricking RTX 3000 series cards made by Asus or MSI.

Apparently a hotfix was pushed about ~2h ago that requires a client update which “addresses several issues causing crashes”. I may have to try again…

As well that’s a good point, I think EVGA probably knew something was going on. I’ve had nothing but problems with my 30-series experience I NEVER had with my 2080 Ti. Wouldn’t shock me one bit.

I know “early adoption tax” is a thing, but the amount of headaches and problems a lot of 30-series owners have faced probably warrants some investigation. Unfortunately, we may never know.

1 Like

We’ll most probably never know. :slight_smile:

Same for me here, with a 1660 gtx. My gpu is slowly but surely overloading after few minutes playing. 100% gpu using in my performance app, went very hot … I had no problems at all during the beta, since the release I pray for my gpu … Forced to play in low quality but its not really helping …

Apply a more aggressive fan curve with MSI Afterburner, it will surely help with the temps:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d4/t/diablo-4-server-slam-cooked-my-gpu/21857/28

To be honest, I haven’t watched your video above yet… lol

I have used MSI Afterburner for a while off and on across multiple systems. I just hadn’t installed it yet on this PC till today, figured I would adjust the curve or at least see how its setup.

I had already setup custom curves for the AIO fan and pump for the CPU, the case fans, etc. but those were through the motherboard BIOS.

This tool does support multiple features, but you do not have to overclock your card, and normally I don’t even suggest it. A lot of the time, the benefit is negligible anyway. But it can let you custom set your fan profile and make it more aggressive to cool your card.

I have noticed since changing the curve that temps across all games are down.

To be fair, I just installed this card about 4 hours before Diablo IV launch yesterday, so for me its like I’m tinkering on it and it hadn’t even been in the computer for 24 hours… lol

Anyway. I build computers all the time, including gaming rigs for customers. Its fun.

Obviously review that video for tips on how to do the fan changes. You do not have to overclock the card, and for this game, I wouldn’t even dare to try for now. lol

Here is a link to pics of my setup right after it was installed:

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjIesNsEIx406TGffwQEyyFH2lPR?e=a7NcHs

1 Like

Nice!

Just like you, I build computers all the time myself, for friends, family and customers!

The only reason I linked the “How to overclock your gpu” video was because it also shows how to download, install and setup MSI Afterburner for people that may have never heard of it. It’s a simple video explaining the very basics for novices, it does not cover making custom fan curves or more advanced stuff.

Of course I don’t recommend overclocking anything these days. In fact, in this day and age I wouldn’t recommend overclocking a gpu (nor a cpu for that matter), in fact I’d recommend undervolting everything you got for several reasons lol. :smiley:

The most recent fun build I had, was a guy that played WoTs.

He was looking for a new system, but had a tight budget.

So, I built him a 13th gen i5, with an MSI MAG Bazooka board I think it was, had that military green accents. 32GB memory kit Corsair Vengence. Gigabyte 3060 Ti Vision (3 fan silver/white) EVGA Nova 850W, Teamgroup 1TB NVME, 280 Cooler Master AIO, Fractal Mini Pop case.

I had torn the case apart, and went over it with green and black (it was white) and gave it a militaristic look with colored accents, panels, etc. all custom. Then got some clear laser printer adhesive paper (kinda like a plastic film) and printed things like tank tire tracks, and some WoT related logos, things like that to put on the case.

It was pretty sick when it was done. The guy was ecstatic. I think the whole build was less than 1500.

Last Christmas I built a 13700k build with a 3070Ti that hit about 3.5k including my labor. But that thing was a beast. But then even the card was nearly a grand at that time.

But I like to build stuff. Its fun. Mine are usually not as pretty, but they get the job done.

So I started doing more research with the new patch that went live.

I started the following:

Uncapped FPS, native res with no scaling (1440P), no DLSS on Ultra settings.
Game crashed in an hour. GPU went to around 74c on the core, 92c on the memory hotspot.

Now, I have the Aorus 3090 Xtreme, these things DO run hot. Horrible. So that was expected. My fans were running at about ~90% speed, my custom curve is “working”.

Then I tried FPS cap to 165, Ultra on native (1440p) res again with no DLSS. Crashed, about an hour in again. You might be thinking, why would you think capping would fix it? Well, to rule out heat of course. Once again, fan curve around ~90% with the GPU reaching 72c and 88c on the memory hotspot.

So I tried one more time, DLSS on Quality. FPS capped to 165, base res set to 1440p with Ultra settings (also tried Medium). I crashed again, about an hour in. 69c (nice) on the core, 84c on the memory hotspot. This is in line with how my card plays most games; PSO2, Warzone, WoW, etc. However, only Diablo 4 is crashing.

I am thinking the only outlier here is either my GPU is dying (again) which…could be, thanks Gigabyte. Or, there’s something more going on that is resulting in the game behaving this way, exposing a similar fault that New World did. This time though, my GPU managed to live.

Edit: For what it’s worth as well, my drive for games and booting are both Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSDs. Which, as some have said can lead to some instability and crashing.