Wizard Buff Proposal

Nah, it wouldn’t do any damage single target & and it would require at least two item slots. Bloodtide Blade was the model I used; If Black Hole did 250% more damage for every enemy hit, and you could get it up to a 30 yard radius, you could build a successful build that was geared for trash clearing but would be basically useless everywhere else. That’s pretty balanced, imo.

It would require an offhand and an armor slot, so you’d have to make choices between Deathwish/ES/BH or Deathwish/ES & whatever else (meteor, hydra, ET, whatever.)

Don’t hold your breath waiting for this to happen. Black Hole already causes insane lag in 4 player even on a character with no area damage. Something like this might even lag you out playing solo if you were building to actually do damage with this via stacking area damage, especially with the increased radius. :no_mouth:

1 Like

lol, I know, it’s just a pie-in-the-sky of what could have been. Diablo 3’s greatest failing. Itemization SUCKS.

Edit: I recognize I have a benefit of retrospect and seeing how the game evolved here, but…this IS what they promised us before R.O.S. launch and just never delivered.

Buffing generalist items will ‘probably’ not lead to loot ‘diversity’. People don’t like to have ES + DW in every build. With more specific items you need to hunt for more different legendaries. The same goes for Vyr. Archon is a strong ability and always needs to be consindered, once new generalist items are introduced.

For the thread: It’s derailing. I would loved that we focus on small and easy ideas. Let the devs find out every little detail. The wish is: "Buff allready existing legendaries for underused/powered skills to great an higher array of choice and fun." Coupled with items/powers that alter your skills in a fun and engaging way.

1 Like

No one suggested adding any new items, we were speaking of updating existing items.

Vyr Archon is not an ability. Archon on its own is trash. The only thing that makes Archon useful is Fazula belt + Swami wizard hat. Vyr is currently an 8-piece set; or even an 11 piece set if you count Obsidian ring and Chantodo weapons. Adding anything new won’t affect “Vyr Archon” much, as the build doesn’t just have free item slots, and would have to lose something major to incorporate anything we are speaking of. You simply don’t know what you are talking about.
But I get it, you don’t like playing Vyr wizard or lightning wizard with Manald Heal. That is obvious.

I do agree with you on this.

Ok let’s try to bring it back on track, I was reading some ideas on another thread regarding the TV set. I think it was @Cratic’s idea to bring in the mirror images to that set. As it won’t happen atm maybe this pair might be a solution.
Wand:Your mirror images casts the same spell you do and deals equal damage.
Your mirror images stay at your side until you die.
(I am not that familiar with this spell, so I am not sure if all runes would be off balance.)
The idea is to have them like the Barb ancients. I didn’t add any dps boost because having them out is a tripple spell per cast so thrice the damage if I’m not mistaken.
Orb: As long as your mirror images are active you gain 50% DR, 5% ias can stack (max 5 or 10)
Your blackhole gains 30 yard radius and instead of detonating keeps drawing in enemies for 5 seconds
Blizzard, black hole and explosive blast get’s 500% increased damage.
Most ideas are not mine, I more or less pulled them together.

No no no, my man. You have to think about what’s already in game. The word for this wand is “Dead an Arrival”. It sucks.

A Mirror image item already exists in game; Archmages Vicalyke. It could make mirror images last forever and cast your spells for X% damage when you do. Or cast a certain spell when you do. But honestly, if they didn’t implement a Mirror image mechanic on the Hydra set, mirror images are probably D.O.A forever unless they change Firebird’s to grant DR for having mirror images active, which would be cool as long as the mirror images are doing something that complements the set. I think it would awesome to have them cast Wave of Force when you do, you could be casting 5 Waves of Force(s) for at a time.

Interesting fact though: Mirror image was (or still could be) the hardest, most expensive spell to program in D3, so it’s very unlikely they will be able to make significant changes to the spell.

Ok, no need to shoot me down. Like I stated I haven’t given the spell as much attention as I would like to up till now.
You absolutely have a point in the problems the wizard hat would create and of course it would be better to make any changes there.
I wonder how much lag 30 mirror images would create? :smiley:

I’m not. But when you say “Weapon”, you need to be thinking about how this item will massively boost your damage. This is the obvious focus of a weapon slot. When your think armor, that’s where your utility and DR lay.

I think I’ve suggested this before, but I think Blackhand Key being a weapon focusing on Wave of Force is the obvious go-to, and Atrophy could focus on Blizzard. Something like Blizzard deals all it’s damage at once and increases the damage of Blizzard by 400%)

Edit: See the problem though? This is another obvious channeling build with DW/Etched and this in the cube, spamming Blizzard. I have not a clue how they can fix ES/DW and not destroy the class.
1 Like

I think that will be a problem with every arcane spender, unless it has 2 weapons/orb slots (like frozen orb) or unless it can really capitalize on attack speed.

That being said, I like your idea for blizzard, and I think that having lots of options for channeling is still better than only a few options for channeling.

Edit: concerning wave of force, has anyone considered having it tied to teleport?

For example, Blackhand key: “Teleport casts wave of force at your destination. Wave of force damage is increased by 600%.”

Could create a speed farming build, and by requiring both Blackhand and AW to really shine, you divorce it from channeling.

Edit2: actually, I think Jangs and BH could fit into this as well. Jangs: “Enemies hit by black hole take 400% increased damage from wave of force for 10 seconds”.

That’s so true. One solution is that Channeling skills are buffed by another item hegbrash bindings f.e. “Reduces the Arcane Power cost of Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate, and Ray of Frost by 54%. and they deal xxx% more damage.”
And that ES + DW are reworked a bit. Maybe like this.
DW:“While channeling Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate, or Ray of Frost, all damage is increased by 50-100 and damage of your channeling skills by thrice this amount.”

So that in a channeling based build channeling does actually majority of the damage and your other arcane spenders are up to your own flavour.

Back to the “easy” Wishlist for 2.6.9 and beyond.

1. Manald Heal change to. “After an enemy was paralysed your lightning skills deal 150-250% more damage for 5 seconds.” → Leads to a GR increase of lightning base builds of 2.5-3.5 GR levels. (‘Maybe’ could open up a Lightning Hydra GR Killer)

2. Wand of WoH: “Damage increased to 450-600%” → 1-2 GRs.

3. Orb of Infinte Depth: “Increased damage modifier from 10 to 30” =easy solution or have EB damage increased by a bigger amount than the general damage increase. +2-3 GRs.

4. Winter Flurry: “50% more damage against chilled enemies and 200-300% more damage to frozen enemies.” → 2-4 GRs for frost based skills.

And I dig the Idea with Mirror Images are turned to Wave of Force then you cast Wave of Force. Reminds on Heroes of the Storm. WoF Mirror Images should be cast on your cursor position. Lot’s of great feedback. Can’t wait for some Blue responses.

@Poconut
YES, I was thinking the same thing!

For example, Blackhand key: “Teleport casts wave of force at your destination. Wave of force damage is increased by 600%.”

But I was considering Aether Walker with a spell at landing.

Another take would be Black Hole in some form.
Could be used to gather up trash.
If it gave the spells real rune as well it could be used with Explosive Blast.

1 Like

Teleport already casts WoF: Calamity. But no question reversal is TERRIBLE. I like the idea of casting a spell where you were, like Energy Twister. Call the rune “Collapse” or something. Would read like this:

**Collapse**: casting teleport leaves a low-power energy twister at your location.

Teleport casting ET would interact with the ET bracers and pull all the mobs to where you teleported from, so you can get range or pull everything closer.

It seems like you guys like my Winter Flurry idea; I think it would have to be 25-33% chilled and 200% frozen, it can’t just be outright better than Furnace…at everything. It all depends on what the Mathew gives us now, though. Who knows if he is even listening.

I hope so. Looking at the Wiz legendaries, it hit me just how much they suck in comparison to other classes.

For example: I usually level up a barb first every season, because it’s easy to get some great multipliers for HotA, seismic slam, or rend. Like 500-800% good. This season, I’m thinking about leveling a Wiz first, so I’m scoping out the drop chances on d3planner to see what will be a good strategy.

There’s really not a good strategy, because the legendaries are bad. The best option is upgrade wands looks like (4/10 chance for damage). Orbs are bad (3/12), and staffs are abysmal (1/7). And even if you luck out and get something good, the bonuses are only 200-400%. That’s not good enough to level at T4, let alone T6.

So my question is why don’t any of the following have some juice on them?

• Jang’s envelopment
  • Light of Grace
  • Mirror Ball
  • Myken’s Ball of Hate
  • Winter Flurry
  • Maloth’s Focus
  • The Broken Staff
  • Smoldering Core
  • The Tormentor
  • Valthek’s Rebuke
  • Blackhand Key
  • Gesture of Orpheus
  • Slorak’s Madness
  • Archmage’s Vicalyke
  • Storm Crow
  • Crown of the Primus
  • Velvet Camaral

Is there any other class with so many legendaries that don’t actually give you power? Looks like I’ll have to level a barb first…again.

1 Like

I think it’s widely accepted Wizards have the worse legendaries, but ES and DW are in a league of their own. I think they will have to change DW to damage of the channeled spells-only, so the focus is on the channeled spell and not what ES is doing. That will fix both legendaries, but…that’s a 320% multiplier gone. At this point, Hydra and Meteor builds are non-viable now and I don’t really have a good way to fix them except upping base damage and set multipliers. Meteor base damage can come up, for sure. You could make Disintegrate builds viable by adding something to Slorak’s, and Light of Hope could do the same for Ray of Frost. No item exists for Arcane Torrent, which is problematic.

• Meteor as I said the base damage can slightly come up, but there is already two items devoted to meteor. Grand Vizier’s multiplier could easily be up’d to 600% to fix Meteor builds.

• Hydra builds could be fixed by upping the multiplier on Serpent Sparker or damage of Hydra itself, which is rather low.

The big difficult to solve problem is still reverse archon. The archon damage multiplier needs to be archon-spells ONLY. 

Also, it would be cool if Deathwish worked with channeling Disintegration Wave. I mean, in Archon we are melee classes as Wizards. Wierd. Channelling being the best makes sense if you devote a slot to Deathwish.

I actually think that would be good, but the problem is that ES/DW are so intertwined into everything, changing them would throw the entire class out of balance. Not sure the devs want to jump on that grenade.

It’s not as hard as you think. If deathwish read:

channeled spells do 320% more damage.

That would fix deathwish. You then up the multipliers on serpent sparker, and grand vizier to fix those spells. You can then introduce new items for Ray of Frost, Disintegrate, an arcane torrent as time permits.

Reverse archon is the tricky one. That one you have to mess with the base damage of archon skills. But the beauty of this is subtle. Chantodo’s takes one to the face, no question. Chantodo’s set would lose the entire Archon damage boost. But, you can now integrate new ways to build Archon; You could build with death wish for a channeling version; or if you use manald heal and build lightning archon; you can use my proposed Winter Flurry and do a “Shatter” Archon build. The point is you could build archon in different ways. Also we’d finally benefit from area damage :slight_smile:

I love Diablo 3. If I could code, I’d work on it for free.

1 Like

I wouldn’t change anything on DW/ES, it already got a change…
We need an alternative, not to remove the choice. (BTW @Venaliter arcane torrent is a channeled so it is covered by this already.
That is why I hope for a pair that works with generators and the total damage bonus should be on par with the above.

@Poconut
Totally agree on your assessment both on leveling a wizard and the item list.
Slorak’s madness is just a kick below, maybe the effect can remain, in case your character dies but an addition is necessary.
How about rack attack raises elemental damage and armor by 20% stacks 10 times.
That would explain the laughs at death. :wink:
I will check out the rest later and propose some ideas.
Also let’s all reread Gegeforce’s instructions.

No, it’s not, bro. Again, you have to consider what’s out there. The current implementation of the Deathwish nerf is terrible. Period. It’s really badly done. 2) if Deathwish was changed to “Channeling spells do 250% to 350% damage” or whatever, this happens:

none of the channeling spells are going to be viable. Right now, channeling spells do almost no damage; it's the Arcane Power spenders ES is chucking out that does the damage; like Meteor, and Hydra.

You’d need complementary items to boost up Disintegrate, Ray of Frost and Arcane Torrent damage to competitive levels. Ray of Frost could easily get a 350% (or something) multiplier on Light of Grace, but Disintegrate and Arcane Torrent would need new legendary powers. You could easily throw a multiplier on Slorak’s, though. It was surprising that was left behind when multipliers were standardized way back when.

@Venaliter
Can you please stop arguing about everything?

The thread is meant as an idea plank, brainstorming doesn’t mean that something is set in stone.

Teleport and the Firebird’s set has been addressed in two separate threads. So no need to repost my views on them.