Wizard 2.7 wishlist

I’ll start with the same disclaimer I used over on the monk forums:

I want to start by saying i am not in any shape or form cutting edge material when it comes to D3. I barely get over 1k para every season (solo) and my sole purpose every season is to remain on the leader boards once it ends.

That being said i’ve always been a fan of theory crafting and watching what build is used in the meta and tier lists etc.

With 2.7 all but confirmed and with changes bound to be made I had some ideas for a while and wanted to share here, even if I’m not as a proficient wizard player as i’m with other classes.

First thing’s first, easiest change ever, revert the Chantodo nerf. Even before the nerf it was not performing the way Whirlrend and now GoD DH are so the nerf is unwarranted.

Moving on to Tal Rasha: Due to the nature of the set it would be cool to make a build that actually relies on all damage types to do damage, not just trigger the bonus for meteor. With that in mind:

PRIMORDIAL SOUL changed from 10% to 100%. The synergy with Tal is there and you’d have to choose between going for meteor or DW/ES combo. All in all, potential for some fun builds.

Delsere’s Magnum Opus:
Primordial soul changes could help this one as well but what i had other thing in mind: Wizard has 0 primary skills builds at the moment.
With changes to Spectral Blades related items or Electrocute there’s potential here for a primary skill build, not just Frozen Orb DMO.

Firebird:

Ok this one’s a mess and not remotely fun to play so i’d completely rework it.

2pc stays the same

4pc: each different fire skill you cast gives a stack of firestarter. Each stack reduces the damage you take by 20% and lasts 10 seconds. Stacks 3 times.

6pc: gain 2000% fire damage increase for each stack of firestarter.
This way it gets to be a bit better than the current version and way less clunky.

Apart from set changes, some final thoughts:

• Would like to see less reliance on Deathwish - ES combo
    -The Primordial Soul change could lead to some interesting combos for Tal and DMO
  • would love to see a wizard generator build.
  • I know everyone loves Disintegrate , i do too but for the love of me I could not think of anything for it

That’s about it.
Feedback is most welcome and thank you to anyone that read the whole post.

2 Likes

My Wishlist for the next patch:

Numbers serve as placeholders and can be adjusted.

SETS

Vyr’s Amazing Arcana :

• 2 piece bonus:
    • For every 10 archon stacks gained, reduce the remaining cooldown of Archon by 10%. Archon gains effects of all Runes.
  • 4 piece bonus:
    • Archon kill stacks also increase Attack Speed, Armor and Resistances by 1% per stack.
  • 6 piece bonus:
    • Gain one Archon stack per hit or per tick of damage of any Archon ability. Archon stacks also reduce damage taken by 0.15% each and their damage bonus increases to 100% per stack. Increase the damage of all Archon abilities by 25% per Archon Stack.

Tal-Rasha’s Elements :

• 2 piece bonus:
    • Damaging enemies with Arcane, Cold, Fire or Lightning will cause a Meteor of the same damage type to fall from the sky. There is an 8 second cooldown for each damage type. Casting an elemental skill may reduce the remaining cooldown of meteors of the same damage type by 0.50 second.
  • 4 piece bonus:
    • Elemental attacks increase all resistances and meteor damage by 25% for 8 seconds, this effect stacks four times. Additional attacks will refresh the effect.
  • 6 piece bonus:
    • Elemental attacks increase total damage done by 1100% for 8 seconds, this effect stacks 10 times and will refresh upon additional casts. Casting a different elemental attack from the previous attack will grant two stacks instead of one. At ten stacks, manually casting meteor will grant it the meteor shower rune. This effect has a 45 second cooldown.

Firebird’s Finery (proposed simplification) :

• 2 piece bonus :
    • When you die, a meteor falls from the sky and revives you. This effect has a 60 second cooldown.
  • 4 piece bonus :
    • Dealing Fire damage with one of your skills causes the enemies to take 1500% weapon damage as Fire per second for 3 seconds. This effect can repeat an additional time. If an enemy is attacked with a Fire skill while burning, the enemy will become ignite, taking 3000% weapon damage per second until they die.
  • 6 piece bonus :
    • Attacking with a Fire skill reduces the amount of damage you take by 60% for 6 seconds. Igniting an enemy or attacking an ignited enemy with a Fire skill increases your Fire damage by 12000% for 6 seconds.

Firebird’s Finery (proposed overhaul) :

• 2 piece bonus:
    • When you die, a meteor falls from the sky and revives you. This effect has a 60 second cooldown.
  • 4 piece bonus:
    • Attacking with Fire skills creates a shell of fire around you that reduces the amount of damage you take by 60% for 5 seconds. While the shell is active, nearby enemies take 2000% weapon damage as Fire per second. You also recover 1.5% of your health whenever enemies take Fire Damage. This effect cannot happen again for 15 seconds after you have recovered 30% of your maximum health.
  • 6 piece bonus:
    • You emit missiles and bolts of Fire that deal 500% weapon damage as Fire whenever you cast Fire Skills. While the Fire shell is active, your Fire attacks deal 12000% more damage and enemies within 60 yards take 1000% weapon damage as Fire per second.

Delsere’s Magnum Opus :

• 2 piece bonus:
    • Casting a signature or arcane spender skill reduces the remaining cooldown of Slow Time by three seconds. Also reduce the cooldown of all skills by 20% while within a Slow Time Sphere.
  • 4 piece bonus:
    • You take 60% reduced damage while you have a Slow Time sphere up, and allies within the sphere and for 5 seconds after leaving the sphere take 30% reduced damage.
  • 6 piece bonus:
    • Casting Slow Time will also create a Time Bubble on you that’ll follow you for 15 seconds and any additional Slow Time casts will refresh the duration. While you have slow time active, your signature and arcane spender skills deal 10,000% more damage. Enemies under at least two slow time bubbles take 30% more damage from all sources and have the chance of taking damage from your signature and arcane spender skills twice.

The Typhon’s Veil :

• 2 piece bonus:
    • Mirror Images gain the Duplicates rune and last until they die, and spells casted by Mirror Images will deal 50% of the damage of your own spells. Mirror Images will summon a Hydra whenever you do.
  • 4 piece bonus:
    • Increase the number of heads on multi-headed hydras by two. Damage taken is reduced by 10% for each Mirror Image and Hydra active. Mirror Images take 5% reduced damage for each Mirror Image and Hydra active and half of your shield effect extends to your Mirror Images.
  • 6 piece bonus:
    • You deal 750% increased damage for each Hydra head alive, your hydras instead gain 1300% increased damage for each Hydra head alive. Mirror Images cast arcane spenders when you do.

Chantodo’s Resolve :

• Note: Firstly, the nerf should be reverted.
  • 2 piece bonus:
    • Every second while in Archon form you expel a Wave of Destruction, dealing 8000% weapon damage to enemies within 30 yards. This damage scales with attack speed.
    • Every time you hit with an attack while not in Archon form, 8000% weapon damage is added to the Wave of Destruction, stacking up to 10 times. For each stack, reduce all of your damage (except for Wave of Destruction) by 7.5% while in Archon form.
      • Note : The reason I’m suggesting this is because I believe this is the only way of getting the Archon abilities buffed without heavily nerfing Chantodo (or having vyr increasing archon skills exclusively). After all, Chantodo is powerful to the point that it deals the vast majority of Vyr archon’s total damage. As such there is almost no way that Blizzard would buff the archon abilities without nerfing Chantodo; and while I would be fine with that (as I don’t really like relying on Chantodo), I know there’s a great deal of folks who enjoy playing the Chantodo Vyr Archon build. So, I believe having Chantodo itself lower the damage output of all abilities except for the Waves of Destructions is the best middle ground as it solves the potential issues.
        • Chantodo’s no longer a mandatory set for Vyr Archon and instead is a viable alternative.
        • Chantodo archon shouldn’t be a predominant build with the other sets.
        • Vyr, and by extension Archon, can be tweaked more substantially without worrying about Chantodo Vyr Archon becoming too powerful.

Legendary Powers
  • Death Wish:

• Arcane Torrent, Ray of Frost, and Disintegrate now deal their maximum damage. Arcane Torrent, Ray of Frost, Disintegrate, and Disintegration Wave all deal xxx-xxx% more damage.
  • Etched Sigil:

• Increase the damage of Arcane Torrent, Disintegrate, Ray of Frost and Arcane Torrent by xxx-xxx% and also cast one of your other damaging arcane power spenders every second.
  • Halo of Arlyse:

• Your Ice Armor now reduces damage by 50-60% and automatically casts Frost Nova whenever you take 10% of your Life in damage.
  • Jang’s Envelope:

• Enemies damaged by Black Hole are now slowed by 80%. Black Hole now Deals xxx-xxx% more damage and expands five more yards.
  • Slorak’s Madness:

• While channeling Disintegrate, you are drained 0.25% of your maximum life per second. Increase Disintegrate’s damage by 15% for every 1% of health you lose while channeling.
  • Velvet Camaral:

• Double the number of enemies your electrocute jumps to. Electrocute deals xx-xxx% more damage for each enemy it hits, this effect stacks 5 times.
  • Myken’s Ball of Hate:

• Electrocute deals 200% more damage and can chain to enemies that have already been hit. If Electrocute chains to an enemy that had already been hit, the target will explode and take 500% more damage instead, with nearby enemies taking half of the damage.
  • Archmage’s Vicalyke:

• Your Mirror Images 150% gain increased damage, duration, and toughness. 15% of the damage you take is given to your Mirror Image(s), this effect increases by 5% for each Mirror Image you have active.
  • Fragment of Destiny:

• Your Signature Spells attacks 50% faster and deals 150-200% increased damage.
  • The Swami:

• The bonuses from Archon stacks now last for 15-20 seconds after Archon expires. Attacks made outside of Archon form Increases the damage of your Archon skills by xxx%, this effect stacks 5 times and last until the expiration of your next Archon form.
  • Fazula’s Improbable Chain:

• You automatically start with 50 stacks when entering Archon form. Arcane Strike and Arcane Blast have a chance, 10-15% of Archon stacks, of triggering twice.
  • BlackHand Key:

• Arcane Torrent deals 200% more damage and gains the Death Blossom and Arcane Mines Runes. Hitting enemies with your signature or arcane spenders (besides Arcane Torrent) marks them. Nearby marked enemies causes Arcane Torrents to prioritizes them, and upon reaching them, explode instantly dealing 50% more damage.

That’s about it for now.

4 Likes

Way, way too complicated. Simple fixes are the best we can hope for.

2 Likes

I agree. That’s what I’m mostly proposing.

Firebird does need a rework tho, its just bad gameplay.

1 Like

Yep, which is why I would gladly settle for the Vyr, Chantodo, and firebird (simplification) suggestions. The rest is gravy.

I do like your Slorak’s suggestion, though. That’s way more reflective of the item than “increase disintegrate by XXX%”

Yeah, I imagine that Slorak should offer a risk and reward type legendary power.

Typhon’s: actually make it a top set for wizards…introduced and NO ONE top 100 uses it. What the actual hell???

I would love to see something besides Vyrs be a thing for wizards. Or LoD Mammoth…like why can’t a new set actually be GOOD?

I would also like to see something that is competitive that doesn’t involve channeling. You cannot go with a WW barb/DH in a channel build and not just leech that dungeon…we need something that makes us viable besides Vyrs.

Haunt of Vaxxo and Teleport Decoy Rune are pretty cool but they are too weak for anything. Just as a distraction. Since Teleport Decoy rune gives you 2 decoys … what if this could be applied to ARchon’s teleport. To spawn 1 or 2 archons that do equal damage or maybe 50% for 5 seconds. Perhaps on every teleport or on a cooldown of 10 seconds or something…

Yes, this thread as well as many others possess some stupendous ideas, so I hope blizzard truly takes note of them.

1 Like

Guess they didn’t listen to our feedback…

1 Like

Keys remaping in archon mode is needed so bad.

It’s a shame that we can’t set up where we want the archon skills at.

I remember how much trouble it was for me back in vanilla trying to get used to having archon teleport on number 3 (while having teleport on another button), that I eventually just gave up and instead just started using non-archon teleport on number 3. In fact, I even have the movement skills of the other classes (whenever I play them) set to number 3 as well.

2 Likes

Same, Teleport was always number “2” for me, till Vyr was a thing.

1 Like

I gave up and stoped using archon.

Reduce Teleport cooldown, or make it cost AP instead.

Simply put, Wiz could not keep up with the other classes in mobility. In multiplayer, mobility is a must.

Very nice ideas all, @Aly one if not THE best suggestion on Firebird’s.
The only criticism would be number tweaking. The main functions are there as is! Good work.
There could be more things added but starting with this would make it a very appealing set instead of what we have now.

Lastly my main concern is the “fixing” of teleportation.