Why stop at 1.14d?

they don’t need to remaster can’t be pushed more than 1.14
new content would change game to a remake and it’s not remake…simple as that…if ur not happy for Qol changes already made then thats ur problem

1 Like

The remaster is being sold and launching on September 23rd. Blizzard has made no indication that development on Diablo 2 ended. Development can pick up where it left off at any time. This would not make it a remake. It would simply make it “continued development that never ended”.

It’s like some old band releasing their remastered greatest hits album, and including some new songs at the end. Pretty standard stuff.

Your insistence that this would make it a remake makes no sense. A remake would require building the game from the ground up.

I’m late to the game here in reading some of these comments. I’m trying to understand where lines are drawn. I’ve seen people advocating for 1.14 but pretty and I’ve seen others asking for changes. Both seem relevant. The 1.14 crowd wants everything exactly as is, but were they also clamoring for no synergies at 1.10 or no rune words or no assassin or Druid? Are they also against shared stash and increased space and the other QOLs already made public? These weren’t present in the original. Or is 1.14 considered peak play forever and nothing can ever improve on it? I don’t think people clamoring for change are necessarily out to destroy D2 and make it similar to other games, but they are recognizing that the current version is already iterated on the original design and that the pursuit of perfection shouldn’t stop because we think it’s good enough.

Fundamental core values don’t need changed. Things that never changed from the original design. Stamina, loot, rarity, pvp, party mechanics, etc should be vital to keep as otherwise it isn’t a remaster as it should be. However, I think future development can surely occur that iterates on the issues, bugs, lack luster skills, underwhelming mercs, etc while remaining a faithful D2 experience.

3 Likes

Well I certainly agree that the way the game stands right now should not be changed to the point where you cannot play it that way anymore. However, adding additional features that would not change the gameplay or experience for anybody that does not want to use them – Well, there is no reason to stand against those.

Ploot, for instance, would be bad if it was a forced mechanic that everyone now had to use. I would stand against that as well. But that’s not what’s being suggested. Complete options that have no impact on the rest of the game for anybody else are perfectly fine. The fundamental game mechanics are still preserved. In fact one could say they are enhanced because in this particular case of timed loot assignment, scripting is negated. And that was never supposed to be a core function of the game. Currently, it is.

Please don’t use Activision in a game developed and published by Blizzard. People seriously who do that (unless you say Activision Blizzard as technically that is the legit name) have no clue on why it is Activision Blizzard. Activision does not have their devs involved in Blizzard games. Look at the launcher. Look at the games for Activision. Do you see Blizzard’s name in any of those? Now look at the Blizz games. Do you see Activision’s name anywhere? Nope. Says only Blizzard.

Please do research first before calling a Blizzard game Activision.

I’m not concerned about the official corporate setup. The day Activision was introduced everything changed. I know that because I have been with Blizzard since the start.

When I state the game should not be Activisionized, everyone knows what I mean. The actual corporate structure is irrelevant to the meaning being delivered with this.

i get that… i myself mosty definitely want a “charm inventory” the way it was implemented in path of diablo.
and not having a “loot filter” is going to be terrible.
after going to beta after POD i was like “OMG MY EYES” reading through all this is terrible, isntead of a quick glance and knowing what it is… and whats worse was the “loot toggle”.

but those are strictly QOL changes that have no effect on balance, becuase they are specially designed to, and i have tested them myself for over 2 years and personally verified that they dont have an effect on balance, and actaulyl the “charm inventory” biggest effect i did see on balance was to allow weaker builds into hell, because no one would prevoiusly play them because unlike meta builds which dont need charms to do anything. the buidls no on plays no one plays becuase they are bad… and if u fill your inventory with charms enough to make them “barely viable” then you cant really pick up anything and that ruins the fun… so not only does it increase the basic QOL for all builds… but it greatly increases build diversity, and that was biggest the non-intended effect from the charm inventory. otherise balance remains the same as its always been, it just allows player to pick up items when they previously couldn’t

no build can get more than 4x10 charms they already have access too. just simple QOL

and i myself REALLY want to be able to lock character level so i can try to see how far i can get with specific builds into hell, and be able to play my LLD and MLD in hell and nm without ruining the character because i gained exp on them.

as for balance changes i do was MA sin to be buffed and i want holy shield nerfed in every aspect except duration… but

again i dont trust blizzard to do this.

all that being said… Vicarious vision is starting gaining my trust with the changes they have made.
they fixed amazon’s face, they fixed blizzard graphics they had in alpha.
and gave us a shared stash ( which was advertised)

and probably the biggest two things for me that really made me start to trust them more were
they changed dclone spawn method and made it doable in single player
and they got rid of the “ladder only” restriction.

assuming they don’t break other stuff this is more that i expected.

i still need to see what the new dclone spawn method is and i have some seroius concerns over the lobby and UI but overall, im very impressed.

after adressing those UI fixes
i still think not having a loot filter would be my biggest grip, and then charm inventory after that. and making sure P loot does NOT get implemented ( although if they wanted to add it for ONLY act bosses i wouldn’t be 100% opposed to that, as i do recognise that is a total FFA becuase everyone is stacked.) but for EVERYWHERE ELSE personal loot would be horrific FOR D2:R. as it would ruin the feel of the game and how its played and how loot vs exp is balanced and more importantly it would incentivize leechers, which were imo the absolute worst parts of d2… WAY worse than bots.

I think that’s a very thoughtful post and I agree with much of it.

I still don’t understand what you have against a ploot option tho since it would not affect you at all. People would just make games for like-minded people that want the loot to be randomly distributed. Like, so what? How would this matter to you at all as a FFA player? How would it ruin the game experience for you since it wouldn’t change anything in regard to how you play?

for me to explain that i need to explain the current loot situation.
and how d2 is currently played…

right now the player who kills the monster is closest to it and is looking right where the monster is when it dies, this gives said player about an 80% change of getting the loot from their own kills. (although it does depend on ping and ranged classes may go down to around 70% or 60% on a bad day)

now “personal loot” would distribute loot evenly amongst players.
now while in theory this sounds good… in practice thats not how d2 is played.

right now as the game is… there are rarely EVER more than 2-4 people actively contributing to the party and killing stuff , there may be instances where u could get 6 or 7 players in norm at the start of ladder but in general the VAST majority of the work is done by 1-2 players… sometimes 3.

and this is in an 8 player game.

because how loot functions now… those 1-3 players get MOST of the loot. because they are doing the work. therefore they are closest to the monsters and look at the ground and have the highest chance of getting the loot.

the people who don’t do the work. we call them “leechers”
because they are making the monsters have more HP and they not contributing
and the reason we agree to put up with this annoyance, is because more players in the games mean more exp. and because we get MORE items in the game if they join… because the total amount of times dropped increases. ( not remotely close to 8x but more than we would get alone) and because they players are stay back and not contributing ( so they dont die) they only manage to grab 20% of the loot. leaving the majority of the loot for the people doing the work.

now if you add personal loot… we have a problem… because now… the players doing the work… they get 1/8th of the loot, which is LOT LESS… and the leechers? the ones NOT contributing they get MORE loot.

so while “personal loot” may distribute the loot “evenly” is does NOT distribute it “fairly”.

having personal loot would incentive leechers, and would actively punish the players doing the work by taking the loot they were previously getting for carrying the people who were staying back at a safe distance and it would give it to those players.

this is extremely unfair to the people actively pulling thier weight it it rewards those who dont contribute… which is a very toxic thing to do.

if people are not getting enough loot in FFA drops? why is that? is because they are killing anything… they aren’t up there in the action, otherwise they ARE getting the loot.

obviously boss drops all players are stacked on top of each other ( or at least more of them, players still hide in the corner) and it really is luck of the draw there… as to which clicked it first… but no one expects to get loot from a boss… if u are expecting to grab the loot from the boss thinking “its yours” well you’re wrong… its NOT yours.

a lot of players try to say " well we want more loot or were being greedy" when this is infact the exact opposite.

we want loot to go to the players who contributed to the fight… and right now… FFA does already does this… and personal loot does the opposite… it encourages players to sit back at a safe distance and come in and take loot afterwards.
its the “personal loot” people being “greedy” because they want something for nothing.
we just want to get the loot we did the work for.

and yeah if everyone contributed equally then it wouldn’t matter which system… but that’s not the case, it never was the case and it never WILL be the case… because if people can sit around doing nothing while other people do the work and they can get rewarded… they take that option… “personal loot” gives them that option.

they are already getting “free exp” and in return the players who did the work get more exp and they get slightly more loot.

taking away our loot would near instantly kill the game, as it would reward players for not contributing and punish those who DO contribute by giving the loot that would have otherwise gone to them to someone who didn’t contribute.

THAT’S why so many people are so vehemently against personal loot

because 80% of the loot from monsters you kill is WAY more than 1/8th fo the loot IF you are actually contributing to the party…
personal loot redistributes loot from players doing the work… to players NOT doing the work

it distributes the loot evenly yes, but NOT fairly.

2 Likes

But what you have explained here is why you, personally, would not use the option and don’t like it. This doesn’t address why it should not be instituted as an option for other people who would like it.

because it punishes the players who contribute and rewards those who don’t…

and adding it would take a ton of time and resources, which could be much better spent elsewhere.

so u make a game where everyone is a leecher… what then? who are they going to leech from.

what person who does the work is going to want to get LESS loot carrying leechers than he would playing SOLO.

the only people “personal loot” benefits are the “leechers”

that means the people who aren’t leechers… wont be joining those games…
so… who do u plan to leech from?

peronsal loot is giving people free stuff for not contributing.

if you make a game like that… its just going to be like a “free here” game where the person giving away free has left.

but most importantly its because giving players 1/8th of the loot is MUCH LESS than “single player loot”, less than half even.
people are going to NOTICE that drops are crazy low.

in an ffa loot games you SEE all the drops so even if u dont get it you see there are a ton of items dropping.
seeing 1/8th of 8 player loot is going to look like alomst no droips at all… and then u will get people “crying for more drops”
or they will just doi what is always done… make a single player game… and thats where they will see the drop rate the highest

1 Like

I get this argument to some degree. However, former VV is making D2R, not the old Blizzard employees.

And as long as they keep a Original 1.14 server around, they cant ruin it.

Which continues to be lies.

That surely doesn’t have to be the case, especially for ranged.
Why would the leechers in your example not try to be in front.

Those 3 people can keep doing FFA together. They would not have to go join ploot games.
Then the leechers can get stuck in a ploot game together. Seems like a win.

Nobody. Seems perfect. Let the leechers rot together.

You should definitely also SEE all the loot in Timed Allocation.

because said leechers generally die when they’re out in front XD.
and they are trying to leech exp… not loot… and if u die u lose exp.

these are leechers we are talking about.

1 Like

Leeching is easy though, you can focus all your gear and build solely on survival. Bad leechers might hide, but anyone who want to, can easily go hug the dying mobs.

you can also just make an mf find item barb and loot corpse and no one will bat an eye at you taking the loot. because YOU generated it…

Please, do you’re own research, It was already covered by the games journalist Jason Shreier, that Activision did indeed get involved in the development cycle of Warcraft III Reforged.

This was before the current lawsuit. If you don’t think Activision hasn’t taken advantage of the lawsuit you would be already wrong.

So why not just refrain from playing ploot games then? If someone does not see it the way that you do, and wants to play ploot games, why shouldn’t they be able to?

I also disagree with a lot of your analysis about this but the important part here is trying to figure out why you think this should not be instituted for people that want to play it. So far all you are continuing to post about is how you don’t like it.

But the solution for that problem already exists in the scenerio: Simply don’t select the option.

1 Like

D2R isn’t really 1.14. It is closer to 1.15 which never went live in D2

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/blizzard/t/d2-concept-patch-115a/2297

2 Likes

Custom game name searching should definitely be added.

… because it creatures a needless divide over the playerbase, it wastes money and resources that would be better spent elsewhere. and it accomplishes nothing.

it will fracture the playerbase,

people will come into my games asking me to remake with personal loot on.
and I’m going to have to tell them to go away.
people will get mad they they see no drops are cry for drop rates to be increased.

its going to make a giant mess of things.

diablo 3 loot drops are the same for you in single player as they are in multiplayer… you get no more or no less

in diablo 2… while the “overall” drop rate in higher in multiplayer the “drops per player” is about less than half that of single player…

people asking for personal loot just “assume” is going to work liek it does in games that have personal loot implemented from the start… that loot drops will be the same amount.

they are going to cry about " why do my drops rates go down when i play with others…
there is going to be endless crying and whining and asking to change stuff just becuase they implemented this change and becuase you asll assuming you can just change the drop system in not only a 20 year old game… but one of the most beloved games ever made.

you CAN’T it breaks stuff

there IS no way to do this without making an absolute mess.

by taking players 8 loot and dividing it equally… player will get WAY less drop than in single player… there is no way around that… if u make it the same… an 8 player game would be generating WAY more loot this would affect the economy and item balance.

you want them to just “add it” when u have no idea what you are asking for and why it wont work.

if p loot is implemented the VERY first thing people are going to do is complain why the drop rates are so low… “why do i get more loot in single player, thats not fair, make it the same. and more crying and whinging”

because u people don’t understand what your asking for… what your asking ( the same amount of loot in no matter if u play single player or multiplayer for cannot be implemented in d2 without drastically changing the game balance.