Why not make an expansion for D3?

Shouldn’t you be doing that? You’re the one that claimed it’s dead, so prove no one plays it.

3 Likes

There could be a time in the future that Blizzard consolidates a lot of what happens with these seasons.

I like they made permanent the follower’s have the ability to share item effects with the player.

Points…

1. I will not buy any additional Blizzard (Diablo) products until Kotick is gone.
  2. I will continue to play D3 because they already have my money and will play D2/R occasionally, because again, they already have money.

Conclusion: Even if D4 or an expansion for D3 was released tomorrow, this old boy ain’t buyin’ until he sees changes at the top and proof that ATVI and Blizzard have cleaned up their act!

2 Likes

D3 isn’t a dead game but blizzard only cares about money so if the opportunity cost for making a D3 expansion isn’t better than spending those resources elsewhere, they won’t do it.

1 Like

I bet there are lots of players waiting for Blizzard to extend Diablo 2 and 3 franchises. IF POE can get new content and balance changes every 3-4 months, Blizzard should be able recognize that these games are far from a dry well and not keep taunting us with how great D4 will be in a couple of years. Think about making money in the near term. D2R love is not forever, you need to keep extending that as well.

They have to do this, as it’s literally their only game so if they don’t keep it fresh, they go out of business.

1 Like

For Blizzard it’s off the table, but I absolutely love how Microsoft handles AGE II & III DE. That’s something Blizzard tried with SC2 Nova, commanders, etc. But Class or little Story/Lore DLCs would’ve been amazing for D3.

PoE is monetized though. They have constant income from the ingame store. Whatever new things they develop they have influx that has that covered.

Certainly could charge for some features if they monetized a bit, pay for some dedicated staff. I am not at all loving POE paid cosmetics BS, but add another class, or specific features that people would desire such as what was in bigD post. :wink:

The cosmetics are insanely expensive for that game. They put Blizzard to shame with their prices imo. When they have sales, they are usually reasonably priced, at least for the time I did play the game. I’m not paying $150 for like 6 pieces of gear cosmetics.

They already did that with Necromancer. Did that make the game awesome? Clearly no if you’re still asking for more. There are rumors expansion was planned for D3 but got cancelled and we got some areas as bounties instead. They moved on to D4/Immortal few years ago and pretty sure D3 will not get anything big like new classes, skills etc anymore.

1 Like

Rise of the Necromancer pack was the second class added to the game, with the first having been the Crusader which was part of the Reaper of Souls expansion. The necro was a $15 add-on only.

It consisted of just the following.

• A non-combat pet
  • A pair of cosmetic wings
  • New Necromancer-themed Banner Shape, Sigil, and Accent
  • Necromancer Portrait Frame
  • Pennant
  • Two additional character slots
  • Two additional stash tabs (PC only)

Considering how little that entails that not a huge effort to content with. Maybe add another pet class like druid.

Adding some more locations or even a 6th area to the map that is more challenging maybe. Possibly a whole bunch more ultra rare items that give players more to look for. Anything that grows the amount of content you can encounter might be monetized.

Also just look at GTA 5 for comparison. It’s almost as old as D3 and they are milking it so hard they won’t even announce another game in the series. Blizz wouldn’t have to announce D4 as well if D3 was still considered succesfull game and worth putting work into it.

1 Like

Actually we did get some free new areas (and monsters) added along with the Necromancer dlc. These new areas were the Moor and Temple of the First Born; and while they did offer some good lore info, they didn’t offer very much to the game besides additional bounty quests and more rift layouts. Which is why adding more major content (like areas) to Diablo 3 would be meaningless if doesn’t offer viable challenge and reward comparable to greater rifts; because otherwise it’ll just end up mostly forgotten except for rift layouts and/or bounty quests.

The patch the saw the addition of both the Necromancer and the new area:

2 Likes

Just found out today, that Titan Quest got another Expansion. It’s a pretty damn old game and it gets content mainly because ofa possible Titan Quest 2 announcement. Our Season in D3 are more exciting right now, then it was before they announced D4/DI. They did skill and set changes, everything the community thought was off the table.

1 Like

Diablo 3 supposed to have a second expansion, that supposed to be named “The King in the North”. After Blizzard realized they hit big with MTX shop for Diablo 3 China servers and they can’t get that money out of China, they wanted to invest there. This is where their mobile journey began at the lead of Michael Morhaime then continued by Jay Allen Brack.
The work progressed so far for second expansion of Diablo 3, scrapped to be incorporated into main game by a patch. They started to work on mobile by the help of their partners and any excess content allegedly made into that mobile project later revealed to be Diablo Immortal.

That’s what I gathered from the Diablo Immortal drama so far. I don’t have any inside information but only scraps of different articles and timelines matching. Back in 2016, Mike with other heads of Blizzard at that time, Pearce and Metzen gave an interview about them choosing their next winning game at mobile platform. New content and areas at Diablo 3 shortly followed this article which later revealed to be from the scrapped expansion pack of Diablo 3. Let along a badly planned hype video before Diablo Immortal announce followed years later as well.

As for King in the North’s potential story weave, nobody knows a thing. I remember, seeing some artworks of Belial’s final form with the note “Belial’s servant” next to it at some forums. I can’t find it now through image searches, sadly. Putting two plus two and considering the content we got from that patch, apparently we killed Belial’s servant at act 2 instead of Belial himself.
In my opinion, that adventurer at the Blood Moors supposed to reveal himself to be Belial in the upcoming expansion pack instead of a whole new demon lord we never heard of before. That would be the key piece that could tell us what was wrong with Diablo’s plan and how he lost at the Prime Evil form against a mere Nephalem. That still begs a few questions though. Perhaps they left them very subtle in case they decide to return back to it but I have no hope.

Eh? Basically every patch has had those. It’s basically the ONLY thing the “community” thought was ON the table.

Well demon lords revive in due time, and since the Great Evils separated themselves from Diablo some time after the events of RoS. It’s only a matter of time that we see them return (probably even for Diablo 4).

That is just not true. For a very long time, they have not done any skill or bigger set changes. That’s why it was the rule in the Barb Buff Proposal not to ask for such changes. D3 is now better maintained, than it was before one and a half year. Actually after the DI fiasco the patches for D3 improved.

You never specified “bigger”, you just said changes.

There’s a list of patches, every one of them has changes to items and/or skills. Maybe not for every class, but you never specified that either.

2 Likes