Why doesn't this new forum recognize my login?!

Here are the steps.
Step Zero - Ensure that one is logged out of the Battle net launcher, close the launcher completely, and ensure one is logged out of all of Blizzard’s websites (WoW, D3, SC-2, battle net, etc.).

Step #1 - Clear browser cache and cookies, close the browser completely, and then restart the browser.

Step #2 - Navigate to diablo3. com and use the links on the page to get to this forum and verify that one is still logged out.

Step #3 - Start the Battle net Launcher and log in.

Step #4 - Once the launcher is loaded, click on the blizzard menu (top-left) and select “Account Management”. This should spawn a new browser window or tab that loads the account overview page (account. blizzard. com/overview…).

At this point you are suppose to be logged into the forum because there is a cookie placed on your device, assuming you allow cookies. Without cookies all bets are off. I have accept cookies enabled. The only thing I should need to do is refresh the “General Discussion” forum page and the page should show me as logged in. This was the behavior of the prior forum. However, even though I’m logged into my account overiew (battle. net account) I’m still forced to click the login button on the “General Discussion” forum page. Clicking the Login button does not produce the login dialog, it merely refreshes the page with me shown as logged in because of the active cookie already on my device. No, I am not presented with an addition login request in the authenticator app. on my phone.

At the end of step #4, if I open a tab/window to shop. blizzard. com it shows me as logged in. So, I’m allowed to manage my account, spend real money on Blizzard’s various wares, but participating in the D3 community, a feature I’ve paid into by purchasing the game, has me restricted in various ways.

A - an extra button click will not kill me, but I should not need to do it
B - this will sound/read like a rant to some, but the unnecessary and unusual restrictions placed upon me is a legit grievance (trust level crap)
C - trust level elevation was given to a select few of non-blue, and non-green forum posters, so am I really a threat, am I really untrustworthy, am I less worthy than the others when I’ve paid for the privilege just like everyone else?
D - In a prior posting attempt (non-threatening), battle.net was viewed as a link by this new forum system and because I don’t have the required trust level I could not complete my post. I’ve read in other threads that players without the required trust level can’t post links to D3_planner_.com. Of course I can’t even place links in this post to diablo3 . _com. :angry:

Why make me jump through hoops just because some group of clowns, which I have no affiliation to/with, caused trouble in the old forum system, while giving pseudo-privileged access to a few regular players in this new forum system? It’s not like I’m spamming the forums with hundreds of posts all containing links to 3rd party scam sites, and advertisements that have nothing to do with D3 or gaming in general.

1 Like

I don’t have that problem.

Can’t remember ever having that problem.

What browser and operating system do you have?

Have you gone through the steps in order?

I did the steps twice before posting.

I’m on Win-10 (in a VM) and using Firefox Quantum v68.0.1 (64-bit).

Using Chrome on Win10 (pc) and Andriod/Samsung.

In fact, it was quite seemless for me.

Good idea to post this info though, if you had issues, you are probably not alone.

So you are not presented with the Login button after Step #4 and refreshing the “General Discussion” forum page?

yeah, perhaps Chrome has issues.
I use firefox only and all is good here!

I have never been presented with the login screen in regards to the new forum funnily enough… I mean ever, not even the first time I came here.

I did follow links to get here that were stuck to the top of the old forums if that’s of any consequence.

I actually remember thinking to myself how well it had worked when I first came here.

Seems I was lucky.

@amma/Jay:
Obviously you did not follow the steps I listed above. There is no way for you to post on the forum as a regular user without logging in. If one follows the steps 0,1, and 2 in the OP, a login button will be displayed toward the top-right of the page

My point was, I was logged in without having to physically log in. Not even the first time I posted. It was like my credentials from the old forums carried over without me having to do anything.

I can’t actually try all that, I’m not at my PC to play around with the launcher. I will once I’m home.

I suspect this has more to do with you running in a VM than anything else. Modern tokenization from Blizzard includes things like your MAC address and possibly hardware UUIDs. This is how they know which devices are “logged in” and which are new and require a login. Oftentimes VMs will not have those two bits of information, or in the case of the MAC address will either be randomized on each use or not cloned properly to the real machine’s MAC address.

Bottom line is, if it’s happening in all browsers for your Win10 install, then it’s almost certainly running from a VM that’s the problem. In that case, you aren’t going to find a solution and just have to deal with it every time. Running in VMs is not supported either for the games or the fora.

This post probably belongs in a different forum. Like this one

You can move your post yourself. :wink:

1 Like

@Jay:
Clear cache and cookies on your portable device, close your browser, close the authenticator app.if you have it running. This should log you out on that device. When you relaunch your browser and navigate to the “General Discussion” forum page you should see a login button at the top-right of the page.

@TheTias:
I performed the steps, in the OP, on a legit Win-10 installed on the bare metal and I was able to recreate the same behavior. I could potentially retrace the steps listed in my statement above to @Jay in a Manjaro Linux installed on the bare metal but I doubt I would encounter differing behavior.

@DogBone:
This post contains more than a technical issue.

Then move to “bug report”.

I’m just suggesting "you’re post doesn’t belong in General Discussion"

1 Like

This is actually not a technical support issue, as the TS forum generally applies to the game, not the forum itself.

@BossDogg: From an empty state, the Discourse software will not accept a login token without user intervention first. If this behaviour is occuring on a non-VM system, then that’s what is taking place. Once you’ve clicked the login button it should keep you logged in on that device until the expiration of the cookie itself or any event such as changing passwords or anything else in account management, as that would change the primary token that the forum checks against.

Basically, the system is behaving as it’s designed to from a fresh login/user standpoint. As long as a valid Battle.net token is on your device, the most you’ll have to do in the event of a browser specific cache wipe or corruption is click the Login button once to restore the forum specific token.

Are you saying logging into any of Blizzard’s other sites (ex: shop. blizzard. com) does not constitute a valid login into this forum system? If you are saying that then the forum system would consider me not logged in and present me with the Login button. If logging into Blizzard’s other sites (ex: blizzard account management site) constitutes a valid login into this forum system, then there should be no reason to present me with a login button.

So, I’m looking to make sure I am getting the correct understanding of your post. Keep in mind I’m starting from a fully logged out state to a logged in state based on the account management site and the online store. So am I allowed to engage in e-commerce transactions in the shop and manage my account, but not fully allow to post/create threads until clicking the login button (effective 2x logins)?

Edit:
I have yet again encountered another form of censure (hoops to jump through) that is unnecessary. More than 35 mins after making this post above I attempted to compose the reply below. Upon click the post button I’m greeted with a “Please wait for others to participate” pop-up and disabling my ability to post. So now my privilege to post is dependent on the activities of other people as well?! [23].[20].[6]

I disagree with your PoV. I am bringing up multiple issues in this thread. The majority of posters are responding to only the first part of my post. The overarching issue is that as a paid D3-RoS customer, in good standing I’m forced into jumping through unnecessary hoops with the new forum system. The only justification given, in another thread, was that some group of clowns, whom I have no affiliation with, triggered the reasoning for moving to this new forum system and the draconian rules set and trust level system. To add insult to injury some regular players were given elevated trust level privileges early on (favoritism). This amounts to circumventing the new rules for some and penalizing everyone else. It does not matter what value or level of important (or lack there of) one places on the penalization. A penalty is still a penalty.

What I want is to be able to post and create threads just the same as I did in the old forum system. This did not give me special access or special privileges as a regular player. This includes the ability to add links to my threads within reason. However, I can not even link to the diablo 3 US main page given the current trust level system and rule set. I am not asking for a series of sites to be added to a safe list so that players can include links in their posts.

I should not have to read or scroll through X number of forum threads that are of no interest to me (artificially inflate my scan count). I should not be required to make replies to threads and make new threads (artificially inflate my post count), and click the stupid like button X number of times, just to be able to drop a link in my posts. In fact, no paid D3 customer should be required to do the above unless there is a situation of serious or threatening CoC violations. I have not made or supported any threatening activity toward Blizzard or their properties.

The majority of the time I read the various D3 forums I’m logged out. I typically log in to reply or create a thread. I rather lurk in a logged out state while reading the forums and log in when I feel I want to without having to contend with my time spent not counting toward some artificial threshold in a social credit score system. I don’t care to participate in their social credit score system because even Blizzard does not respect the rules that govern it (favoritism).

The issue with the double login was yet another hoop I had to jump through.

The reason it works this way is because each forum’s validation data (the tokens you log in with) are separate. This is why when you log into the World of Warcraft forum you have to do so even if you’re logged into the Diablo 3 forum. It’s the same battle.net account, but each token is separate, and thus you’re presented with the login button if a token for that particular forum is not already present on your device.

So on my Note 8, I’m logged into the D3 forum. But if I want to log into the WoW forum as well, when I go there I’m presented with the login button. That’s just how it works.

With regard to the account management login, that one’s a bit of an outlier in that the account management specific token is a time delimited token. While the token’s short time to live (TTL) value is active, i.e. it hasn’t expired, you can access pretty much anything on the battle.net network. However, for purchases, you should be asked to enter your password before the end of the transaction occurs like you would on the PlayStation Network (PSN makes me do it every bloody time even if I do successive transactions as was necessary when I wanted a quad stash tab in Path of Exile and had to buy a $10 and $5 transaction separately because they have no $15 transaction).

Conversely, being logged into the forum will allow you into account management, but you should be presented with a password and authenticator request (if present on your account) for any security related features that you wish to change.

But yes, TL;DR: For the first time you log into the forum regardless of login status elsewhere, you get to click that button. It’s by design due to separation of forum data and statistics. It’s also why post count is no longer shared, BTW.

This is not meant to be a form of censure or censorship. It’s an anti-spam feature. It’s why I’m editing my post rather than making a second separate reply to the edit you inserted while I was typing my response to your original post. Even thread starters cannot reply to their own posts until someone else has done so in order to prevent continuous auto-bumps. This is also by design.

Edit: I’d also like to take the time to point out that with the button just being a single extra click, you’d have to have logged out an untold number of times to put yourself in a state where you’re presented with that button in order to come close to just the time you used to make the posts here in this thread. It would literally take thousands, if not tens of thousands of single clicks to equal the time you spent here going on about it.

Just a bit of food for thought there. :wink:

Is this forum not apart battle_. _net network? In following the steps in the OP wouldn’t the TTL show as active if there are no more than 15-30 sec. delays between steps, thus no need for the extra login? I can see the point of going from logging into the D3 forum and being forced through a credentials check to access the account management site. However, going the other way should not require additional logins. If the above is by design so be it.

Post and or read count not counting across the various Blizzard forums sounds absolutely Bat poo-poo crazy given this truck load of B.S. they call a trust level system to which they do not respect.

I can also understand a forced credentials check before completing an online transaction in the Blizzard shop.

Side Note for forum management:
Take (b).net and (battle).net out of the list or recognized links. Make them regular words so that, we players, can make reference to the product and site without linking. This just makes linking to the site an explicit declaration of a URL. The vast majority of us regular players are unworthy of linking so don’t burden us with useless escape around the rule in order to converse in normal text.

I can hardly be considered spamming when I’m:
1 - replying to a post within the same thread
2 - post count matters in this truck load of B.S. they call a trust level system
3 - more then 30 minutes time lapse between posts

Let’s just call it what it is. A system to restrict and penalize regular players so that they either go out of their way wasting time to acquire and maintain a frivolous digital achievement or they bear the burden of second class status. I had over 3400 posts in the old forum and that was over the 7 years since vanilla D3 release. I do not consider that an achievement or something to aspire to.

Touche.

…since I’ve just crossed a credentials check. Clicking the login button does not present me with a login dialog. It forces the reading of a token in a cookie that was already present, which it should have already checked. I’m going to log out of the account management site, refresh this page and see if it shows me as logged out. Place your bets on the behavior you think will happen.

You’re conveniently ignoring that everything is separate, i.e. compartmentalized. That makes it easier for Blizzard to make changes or updates to one site without affecting the entire account. Previously forum updates were extremely messy. That’s why they occurred so infrequently.

Again, because each token is separate, you’re going to have to go through the login process at least once. Thankfully they streamlined it so that it’s just an extra click instead of oh, say, your full credentials and authenticator code every time.

Repeatedly replying to yourself is the very definition of spam. That’s why it isn’t allowed. You can edit just fine. The forum updates in realtime now. I got the edit you put into your post while I was typing (but unfortunately for me literally right before I clicked the Reply button and thus couldn’t react fast enough to stop my click).

You do know what the definition of insanity is, right? (BTW as noted above the forum updates in realtime, so I’m typing up the response to your latest edit even though I have yet to finish my initial response to your latest tirade).

Seriously, get over it. It was designed this way on purpose. The only thing I’m not happy with is that a valid forum token lets you into account management at all. It shouldn’t do so simply because even if you can’t change the data present without entering your credentials again, you can view the data, some of which is stuff you don’t want seen, such as your real name and actual email address (neither are hashed out like on other sites).

I’m still logged into this forum but logged out of the account management site and the blizzard shop. Do you not see how dangerous this double login and double logout behavior is.

If I go 1 step further and close the browser and walk away from the keyboard. My forum cookie/token is still present/active and the D3 forum site considers me logged in. Anyone who walks up to the PC I was on and opens the browser (I have restore previous session active) will have the ability to post under my account without my permission. Forum management would have no way to determine that it was an unauthorized access.

I’m not ignoring anything since neither you nor a Blizzard staffer expressly stated the full compartmentalization details. You said…

You are implying access from logged in stand point in your post given the above quote and the surrounding context. However, you chose the phrase I underlined, which does not mean all sites within the B NET network and it certainly does not mean all sites are compartmentalized. I appreciate you walking with me through the weeds, but I do not consider it your job. Blizzard should plainly state, in full, the changes to the battle net sites and how it will affect one’s access/experience. The “New Forum Guide - Syntax & Features” thread only explains the separate nature of the various game forums from the perspective of trust levels, post counts, and other forum stats that count toward one’s participation in their social credit score system. A quick search of the thread for the phrases login, logon, and compart, yields no hits.

I’ll ignore you questioning my sanity since I’ve already discounted your claim.

Repeatedly definition:
(adverb)
over and over again; constantly.

Please note that I was not replying to myself. I was attempting to reply to another player’s post within the same thread with a greater than 30 minutes time lapse between posts. Its not an anti-spam feature its an anti-bump feature to halt bumping but the easy argument can be made for posts that are not frivolous bumps. The anti-bump feature is being given double duty in the role of anti-spam feature. Even this constant forced editing of one’s post(s) to keep up with the real time updates can easy make the entire conversation hard to read and respond to. Yet another feature implemented in a short-sighted manner.

========

Try this. Open the NEW FORUM GUIDE thread. Highlight the title by clicking and dragging from right to left, and starting your drag move just beyond the last word in the title. Now right click the highlighted text and choose Copy. Come back to this thread, click the reply button and paste the copied text. Do you get plain text or do you get text plus forum markup and a URL in parenthesis? I did not chose copy link location. I just wanted the plain text. Again I can’t include links in my post unless say something from youtube so why have the forum system modify my actions. This convenience feature only serves to get in the way of typing simple text. This would be a greater annoyance in trying to edit the modified paste block on a phone with the tiny onscreen keyboards.

…your latest tirade. Seriously, get over it. It was designed this way on purpose.

While you might view this as angry speech of criticism or accusation that is unfounded (tirade remark) or just don’t care anymore, I will respectful disagree. The design is purposefully flawed as documented in this post and even you were generous enough to leave your own reference to the flaw nature of the current design. I have the right to be critical of Blizzard’s choices that impact my experience. I paid for the privilege to post.

Get over it you suggest. How about:
1 - Blizzard treat all of us regular players as valued customers instead of penalizing most of us while bending the rules for a select few
2 - not pushing this bizarre set of pseudo-guardrails on us because of a small set of bad actors
3 - not pushing these pseudo-convenience features upon us or at least give us a way to disable/enable features
4 - not subjecting us to a conflicting rule set and a pseudo-achievement system (mandatory post and read count across X number of days, mandatory like count, but there are posting restrictions and metering on likes per day)
5 - fix the damn design of their forum sites
6 - communicate effectively

Welcome one and all to wall-o-text world (WOTW) brought to you by forum guardrails made with good intentions and flawed logic.
:registered_trade_mark:

You have the option of asking for your authenticator on every login. That’s always been available to you. That will prevent anyone from doing anything with the forum account.

That’s how the Discourse parser works. Believe it or not, it’s a blessing in disguise for what would be otherwise impossible tasks (mostly having to do with pictures with links). It happens as a matter of course with regard to how the CSS works here. This is also by design. What really should have been done, and this is likely on the Discourse side of things, is to make TL1/2 parse links into plain text instead of always parsing them as clickable hypertext and refusing to allow it to be posted. That’s one feature of the old forum software I’d like back for non-TL3 users. It makes troubleshooting posts difficult on the WoW side in the Mac TS forum where I do not have TL3 like I do here.

While there are a few bugs with the editor mostly (annoying ones to be sure which make editing an already existing post a bug-riddled experience if you are editing raw HTML code like I’ve been doing), the design was purposeful and is for the most part properly functional. It merely takes getting used to.

Trust me, you’ve only had to deal with the absolute most superficial of the annoyances. An extra click every so often isn’t problematic. Finding out that keyboard navigation of an existing post inside the editor window is impossible in some areas due to the bug where lines that begin or end with the edge of an HTML tag prevent cursor movement via arrow keys is much, much more frustrating. And trust me, when you are attempting to edit a post with roughly 26 pages of code (at 1080p resolution), that gets just a tad more irritating than the occasional extra single mouse click.

There’s nothing really wrong with any of the functionality you outlined other than what I noted with Forum > Account Management access not requiring your credentials up front. The rest is meant to streamline an otherwise tedious set of processes.