What to think of when asking for a nerf

i see alot of people asking for nerfs on skills and items recently enigma, grief and botd is on the table for being too strong.

so i am gonna ask you, have you thought it trough?
if these items are too powerful, i am not saying they are.
lets put them in a rank Grief is ranked 1st of all weapons and enigmas is ranked 1st in best armor
now if they get nerfed, they will go down in rank, now they are not nr 1 anymore and a new item takes its place to be ranked 1. so what now? does the new top 1 weapon/armor need to be nerfed too… what about buffing items and skills, if the skill that are the most powerful now goes from first to second place because of a nerf or a buff, will we need a new buff/nerf because now there is a new “best”
is it really something that should be done?
wouldnt that just change the game from being a Diablo 2 remaster to something else? ive played Path of Diablo for example and they have made alot of good content and done alot of changes and i like those, but it is not Diablo 2 anymore its something else, perhaps a cool cousin but not the real thing
i would love for the game to stay unchanged in regards to items and skills same with game content i dont need loot filters or personalized loot
i just wanna play Diablo 2 LoD with modern graphics
and before im being called a purist as if that is an insult, i will just say, i like the shared stash its awesome, and if they change secret cow level so that killing the cow king doesnt have a penalty that would be great too, but i wouldnt wanna see changes that change the game play like buffs and nerfs

EDIT: adding abit more to my wall of text:

if changes should be made, it would be better to do so on an expansion, that way its a product and you dont have to buy it, that expansion could have the a4 completed and added something in that expansion balancing skills and items, that way it wont be intrusive to the game as a remaster and it will give them the ability to earn abit more from this games

*regarding the stuff like loot filters shared stash and what not i talked about, have people forgotten Mods will be supported, i dont know to what extent but these changes to the core game that to those of us who are against it, would fit fantasticly into a mod for those who wanna run with that kind of game play

11 Likes

People’re complaining that they’re “too good” because they played while the runes required to make them were proliferating like crazy due to duping. That won’t be an issue any more, since there will be less of the rune’s available, much less the runewords because duping shouldn’t be possible this time around. Knock on wood… |:

Realistically though, duping is done for provided the security in place on current Battle.net does its job.

It’s basically all baseless assumptions made on the account of old information.

and provided I am wrong and they are complaining because they think they’re literally too good compared to other high end gear… As the Japanese say… shikata ga nai~ People always find things to pick and pull apart. The things they do it to the most are things they had less access to (envy) or because as some have mentioned, teleport makes certain classes “too powerful”, when it reality in really didn’t.

WW Barbarians with Enigma didn’t get terribly much more powerful because they could teleport, they just closed the distance sooner but if you were prepared to PK/PVP/what have you, it made no difference if they had teleport or not. The only times it really made life hard for others is when a teleporting WW barbarian came out of nowhere while you were doing runs for EXP or MF.

Just as an example.

2 Likes

I see it exactly the same.

It´s so weird that you sometimes have to defend yourself, because you just want to play a remaster the way a remaster is supposed to be.

11 Likes

Yeah I’m not really a “purist” either.

I love the shared stash, gold pickup, gamble refresh, etc.

Being called a purist just because you recognize balance changes when you see them is silly.

So many people pushing large scale changes to the game and literally calling them “just quality of life” or “objectively make the game better” ugh.

Make the game easier, you mean, not better.

9 Likes

You remaster much? Talk to the rest of the gaming industry and tell them to stop adding to remasters so that people wouldn’t expect more out of a Diablo 2 remaster.

Part of the issue, is that these items didn’t originally exist in Diablo 2, and when these items were added, the difficulty curve was increased beyond what the original itemization curve was which almost forced many classes into gear choices that were beyond the normal acquisition. Also, when you give classes what other classes have, it breaks down identity and party role control. As for balancing/buffing skills “not feeling like Diablo 2” take a look into the patch history of the game, they were buffing skills all through 1.13 in 2010. Players had been asking for a better balance pass since after 1.10, including nerfing Hammerdin.

2 Likes

They usually don´t do beside minor QoL and graphical updates?

You might be talking about reMAKEs

6 Likes

Recent Saga Frontier Remaster, Duck Tales: Remastered, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, etc.

Well I haven´t played these games. But let me give you this definition from techradar (https: //www. techradar. com/news/game-remakes-vs-remasters-whats-the-difference)

The term ‘remaster’ is something that’s used across multimedia as a whole, with the term holding significance when it comes to the likes of music and film. Remastering usually involves enhancing the quality of an original ‘master’ version, meaning the fabric of the source is merely enhanced, rather than modified.

Within videogames, this same rule usually applies, with the most popular form of remastering being based on fidelity and resolution. To put it simply, remastering an old game will make it look less like pixelated vomit on your fancy new TV.

Other sources say pretty much the same - so it´s not really debateable what the difference between remaster and remake is.

6 Likes

No other armor can’t compare to enigma as teleport valued skill, that is what the talk about enigma is about.
There are all ready other body armor that does things much better then Enigma, but the thing is there is little trade off for using Enigma. As the stats on it are overloaded. +2 skills +teleport and +MF what more do you really need?
BotD is an expensive rune word and is fine being the way it is, not much people complain about that. But even with how good it is a lesser rune word like Grief is still better.
Its not about ranking of items, its about items not going above a certain bar. And once this bar is passed it just too good. And most agree Enigma and Grief are those 2 items that go above that bar that should not be crossed in terms of power.
Nerf not about gutting the items either, Nerf does not mean make item useless or bad. Just toning it down a notch.

1 Like

These arguments would have been great to hear 15 years ago or so.

It’s too late, I can’t wait for this remaster, with all its imbalances.

6 Likes

Videogames have an odd way of not conforming to standard thinking, nor sticking to labels. Of those 3 on my list, I have only played 1 (FF12 Zodiac Age). However, I had knowledge of other remasters through paying attention to gaming news, especially the most recent one of Saga Frontier:Remastered, which has new story, new mechanics, etc, but is still the same game, they didn’t remake from the ground up. Just added to what already existed.

These arguments were made fifteen+ years ago.

3 Likes

Yeah, I was there making them. I disliked the changes from 1.09 to 1.10, but now the game has stabilized, and the remaster we’ve been promised is 1.14. It should stay very much the same, with minor QoL improvements.

Lots of proposed changes are not QoL at all.

5 Likes

They have not necessarily promised anything. They stated intentions and initial basis, said player feedback can change certain aspects of the game. They have been mostly conservative in the media until the most recent article on additional qol, but two rounds of surveys that we now know were not just test data collection for Diablo 4, as some suggested, and the fact that game is still in development with disclaimers as such.

With that said, at launch, I’d say the most we’d possibly see is charm inventory (while it sounds like they are against it during last interview, it was on both blizz surveys, and they did sort of leave it ambiguous at general large inventory), the in game runeword/recipe lists, toggle on/off clock and buff timers, skill bar UI option, merc ai pathing, and that is really about it outside of some of the more major bugs.

After launch though, I’d say they will be doing some minor skill balancing, and they will be looking to have a new ladder theme (since last survey asked about ladder stuff), which could lead to ungating the old content.

2 Likes

Yeah I really hope they don’t meme themselves by creating new content every ladder. Hopefully they’re smart enough to make 2 separate realms if that’s their plans.

3 Likes

They asked about skill buffs and runeword buffs that took place during ladder only. So I’d assume, any new content would be contained to the ladder, and would be restored to normal item/skill status when transfers to non ladder pool.

Knowing Blizzard I doubt they’d restore it. They’d create a system where unfindable items from 5 seasons ago ruins PvP balance, and screw it up until 8 seasons later, where they introduce even more power creep into the game.

It’s kinda what they do.

2 Likes

It is never late for change. Grief and enigma are rune words people like to use a lot. Would it be good to balance them better? Yes i think so but majority of player base would not like it as we play too long with as you said. Grief can be replaced by other weapons so that would be dmg nerf to some builds. Enigma is a lot harder to replace, because it enables several char builds which would be a lot worse without it.

Many players dont like enigma because of Hammer bots. I have seen some of them who want to nerf enigma when they even never had it or used it anyway.

You are a purist, it’s just that you learned to mask it after our long conversations, if someone would look at what you said before, they will still call you a purist, just saying

just because you don’t agree with something doesn’t change the fact it’s a quality of life either

base problem with purists that they are too afraid to speculate and see beyond what they know, so seeing the new stash spaces gold pickup and gamble features might put them at ease, because now that they can see it and experience it directly in the main game, it’s part of what they know

If you were really open minded you would have came to the conclusion to what you were referring to here:

is quality of life change which is obviously directed at me of what I was talking to you on the other thread:

and as for the main post, I don’t think either enigma and grief should be changed, they require a lot of work to accomplish and they are not hurting anything in the game and even if they were the only viable items to acquire they are still part of the game and i see no damage in having them here they way they are currently

but I do understand people missing how the skills used to be in early patches, I made thread about it that seems to be well accepted, which was suggesting to get skills to how they used to be on old patches by just removing some cooldowns and the like, you can do more but it depend on skill to skill bases(that way you are not really rebalancing, but using old skill templates of how skills used to work)

here it is if you want to delve deeper into what we were saying:

Charm inventory is a balance change. I honestly see a lot of words in this post, but I’m trying to put them all together to see something resembling a coherent argument…

I can’t see it.

3 Likes